PDA

View Full Version : Who here has met Beardless Gandalf?

Philhelm
03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm just curious as to how many people here have met Ron Paul in person. I've never been one for hero worship during my whole life, but I'd make an exception for Ron Paul. As far as I'm concerned, he's a Hero of the Republic. For those who have met him, share your story. What is he like in person? What sort of personality does he have?

SWATH
03-24-2011, 11:01 PM
I have met him several times. He is exactly how he seems, polite, unpresumptuousness, thoughtful, intelligent, and kindhearted.

acptulsa
03-24-2011, 11:02 PM
RPH and Speciallyblend both worked with him some in Minnesota.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/acptulsa/r4r%20I/98830002.jpg

I was there (obviously) but didn't take up his time. I have met a couple of women who sought his services as an OB/GYN. They swore by him heart and soul.

pcosmar
03-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Yup.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1062/1422386259_f252866bfe_z.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1339/1425641312_cede14c81e_z.jpg

Mackinac Island Conference.
I was even more impressed with him in person.

Vessol
03-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Met him briefly at CPAC 2011. Was epic. He comes off as a very humble person IMO, like an old grandpa you love hanging out with and talking to.

SWATH
03-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Yup.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1062/1422386259_f252866bfe_z.jpg

Ha I'm in your picture.

MikeStanart
03-24-2011, 11:20 PM
A few times. Most recently at a Rand Paul fundraiser in Houston, TX. He was modestly joking with my friend and I about how worried he was about not winning the congressional republican nomination. It was hilarious. We were like: "Yes, Dr. Paul...the other 20% might outright defeat you"

I'm really, really disappointed I don't have a picture with my all-time hero. I had a picture lined up at the Texas Straw Poll in Arlington, but my Neo-con father had the lens cover on. Was it on purpose? We'll never know.

BamaAla
03-25-2011, 01:22 AM
I've met him (briefly) a couple of times. He's about like what you'd expect: a real stand up guy.

My girlfriend and her father (the people who turned me on to Dr. Paul) got the chance to visit his Congressional office and talk with him for about an hour. I'm green with envy.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
03-25-2011, 01:27 AM
I have had the pleasure of meeting him before and he is what people in this thread have already described. The first time I met him was during the last campaign when he spoke at the "March for Life" rally in D.C. and he thanked me for braving the cold (was well below freezing) and doing what I was doing.

BuddyRey
03-25-2011, 01:55 AM
I've been no more than five feet away from him before, but the crowds were rabid and I never got a chance to meet him in person. My kid sister actually came up and hugged him in Spartanburg, SC back in May '07 and someone took a picture, but we never got a copy.

Pete Kay
03-25-2011, 02:21 AM
I met him in South Carolina in 2007. It was a very awkward experience to be honest. I shook his hand and told him, "I know you can win this." And he replied, "Okaaaay." I didn't know what to make of that. I got the feeling that he didn't believe in himself the way that I believed in him. He was very nice to my son though.

DamianTV
03-25-2011, 03:58 AM
I met the man and had the honor of shaking his hand. Woot!

ihsv
03-25-2011, 03:59 AM
He is in person what you see on TV. No pretenses. Simple, straightforward and honest. Just like his message.

I met him once and have the blurry, out-of-focus picture to prove it! :)

Mani
03-25-2011, 04:27 AM
I met him in 2006. It was before he made the run for President. I saw him at a conference where he spoke about about government getting out of control and what not, and I thought, "This guy is really cool! He's really a congressman????" I actually bought some silver at that conference.

He was onstage in front of a few thousand people and gave a really strong speech, then later on had break out sessions.

So he's in a breakout session, there are 15-20 people in the room and we are just asking him various types of questions. I think even his wife was next to him, but I don't remember exactly because at the time it was so casual and he wasn't an icon or anything (I wasn't thinking, WOW, I'm going to meet RP!!! I was just curious what more he had to say because he was working for the dark side but hadn't been converted). People were respectful and appreciative a congressman was there, but it was so low key.

I just remember everyone was asking him, "how do we change things???" "How do we get our message out???" Looking to him to have some instant answer, and he calmly repeated, "It takes a while, it's not overnight. It has to happen at the grass roots level." He kept repeating, "It's not easy, it has to take hold at the grass roots before we seen change."

He was just like he always is, humble, polite and friendly, and honest. He didn't give people the political "I will find a way!" answer all people want to hear, he gave honest answers and frankly they were a bit lukewarm at best about hoping for change. It was striking to see such frankness and almost like, "Well...Don't bet on it...Or get your hopes up too high for a quick turn around."

But then we would just go back to, "If you want to change, it has to start at the grass roots and then grow from there, but it takes time."

I just remember everyone walking out and I asked him another question or two and he was so friendly and kind.

I can't even describe how low key the whole thing was...It was an investment conference so there was a ton of people going in a ton of directions doing a lot of research and trying to make decisions right there and then (it was a great opportunity to talk to the CFO's or CEO's or top people at these companies and ask them question after question until you were confident in giving them your money). With that in mind, some of the break out sessions that were not investment related weren't as jam packed, like Ron Paul's and some of the others who were guest speakers.

So it's weird looking back and realizing Ron Paul was just hanging around and out of thousands of people only a handful had the time to go to see him.

Then I remember months later he announced his run for President and I was SO PUMPED! I was like, "HEY! That's THE AWESOME CONGRESSMAN I MET AT THE CONFERENCE!!!"

I was excited from day 1 of his campaign.

My second meeting was during a fund raiser in S. Florida in early 2007, it was packed with hundreds of people and I only had time for a handshake and a smile with an hour line to meet him. I remember before I went to the fundraiser and I asked everybody on the forums what questions they had for him.

While he was too busy I talked to his campaign spokesperson and let him know I had a bunch of questions for him that were from RPF and I was going to post them the replies...It was kinda funny, because not sure if they even knew what RPF was at the time. But he was nice and polite and answered all the questions.

Funny how things have grown since then.

He was a congressman I had never heard of back in 2006, and now regardless if you agree with him or not, he's probably one of the most well known congressman in Washington. And now since I did that mini-interview (I think it was with Jesse B.) RPF is the HUB of all things RP with a zillion people on it.

Now we have campaign for Liberty, Rand Paul in the Senate, and a large grass roots organization ready to act at any moment, and a reputation of being able to explode his coffers with money bombs whenever needed. He's considered a campaign fund raising guru. And best of all, he's been proven right time and time again, and has done a zillion TV interviews since then.

It's been quite a ride since 2006 when he was a sweet old congressman talking nonchalantly to a handful of people at some random conference.

newbitech
03-25-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm just curious as to how many people here have met Ron Paul in person. I've never been one for hero worship during my whole life, but I'd make an exception for Ron Paul. As far as I'm concerned, he's a Hero of the Republic. For those who have met him, share your story. What is he like in person? What sort of personality does he have?

I met him last year at SRLC in NOLA! He is very approachable, he took his time to give thoughtful answers to each and every question of the mob of people surrounding him. He posed for pictures and gave his autograph after answering the questions. I actually was able to ask several questions and engaged him in a short conversation. He is very personable, make eye contact in a way that you know you are dealing with an honest, passionate, and true to heart individual. You know you are talking to someone who stands 100% behind his convictions, and yeah he might seem frail on the TV, but he is actually quite formidable for a man of his age. I got the sense that he has one last ass whoopin to dish out, but he doesn't really come across as someone who would want to fight just anyone. He's laid back, you can tell he is looking for the positive in every situation.

Anyways, I'd love to meet him again!

Joey Fuller
03-25-2011, 06:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYxLIYWZtdI&feature=channel_video_title

the above video is from the Jan. 2010 Campaign for Liberty Conference in Atlanta, GA

I spoke with him twice while I was there...each time he was very kind, thoughtful, and even signed three copies of END THE FED for my children.

Dreamofunity
03-25-2011, 07:01 AM
I hope to meet him when he come to FSU on April 21st, although I'm guessing everyone else going to the event is hoping the same.

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 07:03 AM
My girlfriend and her father (the people who turned me on to Dr. Paul) got the chance to visit his Congressional office and talk with him for about an hour. I'm green with envy.

You got a girlfriend and an intro into libretarianism in one little package? Now I'm green with envy. Saved up enough for that ring yet?

Like I say, I didn't go up to him. He seemed tired that afternoon. Trouble was brewing with Barr, he had another appearance that evening and the rally was the next day. Even so, he seemed grandfatherly in that he gave the impression of being genuinely interested. If anyone has had a grandfather who looks delighted and says, 'What do we have here?' when you went to him with some silly little kid thing, well that was him. They weren't his words, but the sentiment is all over his countenance. 'Who have we here, and what wonderful news do they have for me?' Very welcoming.

Just the sort of reception you'd want after being evicted from the womb.

sirgonzo420
03-25-2011, 07:07 AM
I met him a while back.

He's like a "Mister Rogers" for Liberty.

I also met Rand then as well, and told him he should run for Senate.

I'm glad he did!

:D

silverhandorder
03-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Met him once in NH and got a picture with him. Another time was during Freedom March he passed right where we were standing but there were like thousand people around so he didn't stop to talk.

ronpaulhawaii
03-25-2011, 09:09 AM
With an easy smile and a quiet laugh, Ron Paul carries the qualities of duty and honor unpretentiously. He exemplifies phrases like "God, Family, Country", and he loves us as much as we love him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgiHCvu0h4k

RPH and Speciallyblend both worked with him some in Minnesota...

haha - hadn't seen that pic, looks like I'm biting my lip... (friggin Bob...)

My current fav pic from MN is this one

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/mkauai/RPMMEtF1.png

:collins:

Philhelm
03-25-2011, 09:16 AM
I met him in South Carolina in 2007. It was a very awkward experience to be honest. I shook his hand and told him, "I know you can win this." And he replied, "Okaaaay." I didn't know what to make of that. I got the feeling that he didn't believe in himself the way that I believed in him. He was very nice to my son though.

Maybe he thought you said, "I know you can't win this."

JamesButabi
03-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Yesterday in NH :)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5134/5557842738_1f3bf449bf.jpg

Philhelm
03-25-2011, 09:28 AM
I see... So, basically everyone in the world has met Ron Paul except for me...lol

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 09:32 AM
haha - hadn't seen that pic, looks like I'm biting my lip... (friggin Bob...)

Oh, you saw that whole batch of pics. You've just slept since then.

I went to the trouble to make a link out of it for your convenience. Refresh your memory.

Acala
03-25-2011, 10:15 AM
I shook his hand after a huge rally in Phoenix before the election. I was one of hundreds. All I had time to do was thank him. That rally was awesome! Right up there with the march in DC and the fund raising party I had at my house on that fateful November 5th.

dannno
03-25-2011, 10:48 AM
I see... So, basically everyone in the world has met Ron Paul except for me...lol

I haven't.. he hasn't made too many trips out to the west coast.

pacelli
03-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I met him at UNC. I looked him in the eyes as I was talking to him (very briefly) and could tell that he is the real deal. I noticed that his eyebrows are kind of lop-sided too.

FSP-Rebel
03-25-2011, 11:02 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1339/1425641312_cede14c81e_z.jpg

Heh, I'm in that one on the chair in the back.

pcosmar
03-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Heh, I'm in that one on the chair in the back.

I think a few folks here were there.

Philhelm
03-25-2011, 12:40 PM
I haven't.. he hasn't made too many trips out to the west coast.

That doesn't count, since you're not me. :D

SWATH
03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
I think a few folks here were there.

That was the first time I met him in Mary's Bistro. I was the first person to shake his hand when he walked in the door.

Nate-ForLiberty
03-25-2011, 02:14 PM
End the Fed rally in Houston in 2008. Long line of people getting pictures/book signings. I got to say hello and then I was moved along. He signed my U.S. Constitution! Taller than I thought. He gave a speech which was awesome and just like all the YouTubes I'd been watching. Really cool experience.

aclove
03-25-2011, 02:33 PM
At the risk of repeating what's already been said, he's exactly the way he appears on video; humble, unassuming, passionate, and sincere. He really does come across like a kindly grandpa, which I believe is a big part of his appeal.

My wife and I live in Charlotte, NC, which is very near the border with South Carolina, so we were fortunate by virtue of geography that we have been able to meet Dr. Paul several times, SC being an early primary state. We met him in Spartanburg, Clemson, Charleston, and Rock Hill, as well as at an April 2009 speech he gave at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, NC.

The two most memorable meetings were Clemson and Wake Forest. My wife was MySpace (it was 2007, remember?) friends with Carol Paul, and somewhere Carol had written that Ron's favorite treat is home-made chocolate chip cookies. So my wife baked a batch and took them with us to Clemson. The Clemson speech was just a couple of days before the November 5th money bomb, so everyone was SUPER pumped. As always, Dr. Paul hung around after the speech until everyone who wanted to had had a chance to see him and speak with him. When my wife and I got to the front of the line, she nervously said, "Dr. Paul, I...I made you cookies!" She was very afraid that it would seem too presumptuous to him and that he would be leery of taking food from a stranger.

Instead, his eyebrows leapt up, and he said, "Ohhhh MY!" He threw his arms open and gave my wife a big hug, then laughingly said to the people behind us, "Okay, that's all! I'm sorry, but no one will top this!" He took a picture with us, signed my copies of "Freedom Under Seige" and "A Foreign Policy of Freedom" and chuckled to my wife, "I'd better keep an eye on these cookies or my staff will eat them all!"

The Wake Forest meeting in '09 was just as good. By that time, we had gotten the photo taken with him at Clemson framed and asked him to sign it, which he did. Before we'd gone to the speech, my wife had written out a letter to Dr. Paul explaining how much his work meant to both of us, how we'd come to understand the liberty philosophy, and what we'd done during the campaign and since. Once again, she was nervous to meet him, and said something to the effect of, "Dr. Paul, you probably don't remember us, but I made you cookies this one time and, uh, I also wrote you a letter." Dr. Paul thought for a moment and suddenly blurted out, "Oh, I remember those! They were great!" He took her letter and sort of absent-mindedly tucked it into his suit jacket pocket. I got my copy of "The Revolution" signed and figured that was that.

Fast-forward about a week. I'm at home on a Saturday and my phone rings, a number I don't recognize. I answer it and a voice says, "Hi, is this Adam Love? My name is Jesse Benton. Is your wife's name Kristina?"

I stammered for a moment and then recovered and said, "Yes, yes it is. Uh, and she is! Hang on, I'll get her for you!" I call her upstairs and rapidly explain what the deal is, and of course she doesn't believe me and looks terrified, but she takes the phone and plays it cool while Benton explains that Dr. Paul had read her letter and was very touched by it, and would we mind if he wrote back? We were both floored.

A few days later, a brief hand-written note arrives written on "From The Desk of Congressman Ron Paul" stationary, which reads, "Dear Kristina, Fascinating story! Thanks for all you do! In Liberty, Ron Paul"

It sits beside the autographed photo of my wife, Dr. Paul, and I taken in Clemson (which is my avatar picture) in my den today.

Nate-ForLiberty
03-25-2011, 03:16 PM
At the risk of repeating what's already been said, he's exactly the way he appears on video; humble, unassuming, passionate, and sincere. He really does come across like a kindly grandpa, which I believe is a big part of his appeal.

My wife and I live in Charlotte, NC, which is very near the border with South Carolina, so we were fortunate by virtue of geography that we have been able to meet Dr. Paul several times, SC being an early primary state. We met him in Spartanburg, Clemson, Charleston, and Rock Hill, as well as at an April 2009 speech he gave at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, NC.

The two most memorable meetings were Clemson and Wake Forest. My wife was MySpace (it was 2007, remember?) friends with Carol Paul, and somewhere Carol had written that Ron's favorite treat is home-made chocolate chip cookies. So my wife baked a batch and took them with us to Clemson. The Clemson speech was just a couple of days before the November 5th money bomb, so everyone was SUPER pumped. As always, Dr. Paul hung around after the speech until everyone who wanted to had had a chance to see him and speak with him. When my wife and I got to the front of the line, she nervously said, "Dr. Paul, I...I made you cookies!" She was very afraid that it would seem too presumptuous to him and that he would be leery of taking food from a stranger.

Instead, his eyebrows leapt up, and he said, "Ohhhh MY!" He threw his arms open and gave my wife a big hug, then laughingly said to the people behind us, "Okay, that's all! I'm sorry, but no one will top this!" He took a picture with us, signed my copies of "Freedom Under Seige" and "A Foreign Policy of Freedom" and chuckled to my wife, "I'd better keep an eye on these cookies or my staff will eat them all!"

The Wake Forest meeting in '09 was just as good. By that time, we had gotten the photo taken with him at Clemson framed and asked him to sign it, which he did. Before we'd gone to the speech, my wife had written out a letter to Dr. Paul explaining how much his work meant to both of us, how we'd come to understand the liberty philosophy, and what we'd done during the campaign and since. Once again, she was nervous to meet him, and said something to the effect of, "Dr. Paul, you probably don't remember us, but I made you cookies this one time and, uh, I also wrote you a letter." Dr. Paul thought for a moment and suddenly blurted out, "Oh, I remember those! They were great!" He took her letter and sort of absent-mindedly tucked it into his suit jacket pocket. I got my copy of "The Revolution" signed and figured that was that.

Fast-forward about a week. I'm at home on a Saturday and my phone rings, a number I don't recognize. I answer it and a voice says, "Hi, is this Adam Love? My name is Jesse Benton. Is your wife's name Kristina?"

I stammered for a moment and then recovered and said, "Yes, yes it is. Uh, and she is! Hang on, I'll get her for you!" I call her upstairs and rapidly explain what the deal is, and of course she doesn't believe me and looks terrified, but she takes the phone and plays it cool while Benton explains that Dr. Paul had read her letter and was very touched by it, and would we mind if he wrote back? We were both floored.

A few days later, a brief hand-written note arrives written on "From The Desk of Congressman Ron Paul" stationary, which reads, "Dear Kristina, Fascinating story! Thanks for all you do! In Liberty, Ron Paul"

It sits beside the autographed photo of my wife, Dr. Paul, and I taken in Clemson (which is my avatar picture) in my den today.

+rep!

Sola_Fide
03-25-2011, 03:22 PM

Great story.

aclove
03-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks, guys. Understand, there was no contact information of any kind on the letter my wife wrote and handed to Dr. Paul. He had Jesse Benton look up my contact information with C4L in order to get in touch with us and get our mailing address.

Class act. All the way.

MelissaWV
03-25-2011, 05:58 PM
<- Met him. I can vouch for all that's been said being quite Ron Paul-esque.

malkusm
03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
My story is not nearly as cool as aclove's, but I've met Ron several times; the first was at the Revolution March in DC (July 2008) where I got the privilege to meet him behind the stage before he addressed the audience. I think I was nervous and just thanked him for all that he did, and he responded, "No, thank you!"

The second time was very cool though - it was at the event in Minneapolis where BJ Lawson emceed, a big outdoor venue (forget the name of the event), the day before the actual Rally for the Republic. I was with a couple other forum members (speciallyblend and tribute_13), and somehow or another we ended up in this private room near the entrance which was for all of the speakers and what not. I think SB must have worked some magic to get us up there. We were hanging out and having some food and drinks with the guys of the Marc Scibilia band, and I wandered out to the balcony to look out on the crowd and the stage. The next thing I knew, I looked up and there are Ron and Carol standing right next to me! They were extremely nice and approachable, and stood out on the balcony waving to the crowd and posing for pictures for probably 5-10 minutes before going back inside.

I've also gotten him to sign my copy of "The Revolution" as well as "End the Fed," which I'm very proud of. :)

Bossobass
03-25-2011, 06:55 PM
I spent most of my time meeting the far more important people during the campaign:
http://img1.imagehousing.com/43/4fcc5ef995e5e3f1c06973d663e46d2b.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/)

But, seriously, I've met and spoken with Congressman Paul many times. This was one of my favorites: I went to the Raleigh NC rally and took my New Hampshire debate sign, which I carried with me throughout the campaign. With that Raleigh/Durham trip, I had just reached 10,000 miles travel for the campaign. I met Ron and explained that to him and said, "So this trip I want your sig on my campaign sign".

Ron looked at the sign, on which I had written: 10,000 MILES (see pic) and he said, "Wow, Dave! It takes me a whole day to do that". He then punched me in the arm, quite hard, and started to laugh. That's a hard-to-beat memory for me.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/79/b4a2b90999bdd43c539f82cece7318fa.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/)

Bosso

malkusm
03-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Ron looked at the sign, on which I had written: 10,000 MILES (see pic) and he said, "Wow, Dave! It takes me a whole day to do that". He then punched me in the arm, quite hard, and started to laugh. That's a hard-to-beat memory for me.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/79/b4a2b90999bdd43c539f82cece7318fa.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/)

Bosso

Ha! Man, I love Ron Paul, what a stand-up guy.

invisible
03-25-2011, 07:09 PM
I've met and spoken with Ron a bunch of times: every IA campaign appearance east of and including Des Moines in 2007-8, a lecture in DC in 2009, and this year at CPAC. The most simple and accurate description I've heard is "a sweet old man". I look forward to hearing him speak and meeting him again along the campaign trail in 2011-12.

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 07:28 PM
The most simple and accurate description I've heard is "a sweet old man".

Laura Ingraham would disagree.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?284879-Turned-on-talk-radio-for-a-few-minutes...

2orb
03-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I met him in Pittsburgh - 2008. He put his hand on my wife's very pregnant stomach and congratulated us on our growing family.