PDA

View Full Version : We need the Lyndon Johnson nuclear ad

Seer
06-10-2007, 07:14 PM
It's the one that only aired once, but then was replayed a million times by the news for being so controversial. You know, it's the one with the girl and the daisy and the countdown and the mushroom cloud.

We need a new one of those. But it does no good on the internet, we need it on TV where it will do the real damage.

Phil M
06-10-2007, 07:18 PM
That was too controversial at the time, and it would still be today.

Seer
06-10-2007, 07:21 PM
That was too controversial at the time, and it would still be today.

But it worked.

cujothekitten
06-10-2007, 07:26 PM
That ad was used against Barry Goldwater :(

On a side note it would probably be more accurate to use it today because the candidates are saying they'd use the bomb... unlike Goldwater. But yeah, don't use it.

Just for fun:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=63h_v6uf0Ao

ARealConservative
06-10-2007, 07:26 PM
We are more likely to be on the receiving end of such an ad.

Paul is a heck of a lot like Goldwater.

X_805
06-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Wow. Never seen that before.

Seer
06-10-2007, 07:30 PM

I know, but it was so effective and it would definitely get people talking about Paul. At worst, it might make the other candidates back off their pro-nuke 'em agenda.

ARealConservative
06-10-2007, 07:38 PM

On a side note it would probably be more accurate to use it today because the candidates are saying they'd use the bomb... unlike Goldwater. But yeah, don't use it.

Just for fun:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=63h_v6uf0Ao

He did make a joke once about "lobbing one in the kremlin".

That comment, among other things (he was a UFO fanatic and ironically enough area 51 conspiracy theorist were drawn to him) led to a bogus report about him being mentally unstable - the press didn't care that it was an obvious hit piece without merit - they ran with it.

That's the type of stuff to expect if we gain more ground.

cujothekitten
06-10-2007, 07:44 PM
He did make a joke once about "lobbing one in the kremlin".

That comment, among other things (he was a UFO fanatic and ironically enough area 51 conspiracy theorist were drawn to him) led to a bogus report about him being mentally unstable - the press didn't care that it was an obvious hit piece without merit - they ran with it.

That's the type of stuff to expect if we gain more ground.

That media article probably hurt him more than the nuke ad... he also sued after the election for libel and slander. Of course he won but the damage had been done.

*edit* it wasn't just a hit piece... a reporter got a bunch of psychologists to say he was mentally unfit without ever meeting the guy.

lbadragan
06-10-2007, 07:45 PM
That may not work for Paul. I'm curious, does anybody know of any recent polls of what percentage of Americans would favor a nuclear strike as a last resort?

As sad as this may sound, an ad like that may make Paul look weak in the eyes of the public.

TruePatriot44
06-10-2007, 08:10 PM
I would work well with an Iranian girl, given our opponents want a pre-emptive nuclear strike on that country.

patalaneck
06-10-2007, 08:20 PM
One possible backlash...
They would say, "Look see, the terrorist will nuke us here if we don't stop them in Iraq now!"

sounds like a dangerous gamble

angelatc
06-10-2007, 08:25 PM
That may not work for Paul. I'm curious, does anybody know of any recent polls of what percentage of Americans would favor a nuclear strike as a last resort?

Apparently the neo cons favor it as the first resort.

Shmuel Spade
06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
While on the campaign trail Goldwater told reporters that the world would have to get used to the idea of nuclear weapons being used in the same way that heavy ordinance conventional weapons are being used today. And he even made a remark about the United States being able to win the engagement in Vietnam with the bomb. That's what started the whole thing.

Really what he was trying to do was the same thing that Reagan was trying to do after that, which was to dispel the American people's irrational fear of the bomb. There was a rational fear of the bomb, and there was the irrational fear. The irrational fear is what led to the successful campaigns against nuclear power after that period.

When Goldwater was talking about "nuking 'Nam" what he was essentially saying was that the United States could never actually "lose" a military engagement because of the obvious technical superiority. At the time many Americans were getting concerned about the rising death tolls and the nascent peace movement and wondered to themselves if the US could actually lose a fight. Goldwater assured them, no, we can't really "lose" but we probably couldn't win without doing something awful.

Nixon modified this theme in '72 when campaigning on disengagement "with honor."

Personally, I think the ad would have little effect today, as people are already far too familiar with it and its historical context and consequences.

kylejack
06-11-2007, 08:28 PM
It's the one that only aired once, but then was replayed a million times by the news for being so controversial. You know, it's the one with the girl and the daisy and the countdown and the mushroom cloud.

We need a new one of those. But it does no good on the internet, we need it on TV where it will do the real damage.

The commercial that torpedoed Goldwater? Heresy!

pcosmar
06-11-2007, 08:34 PM
I had been playing with an Idea since the debate. The First strike mentality blew my mind.http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1336/541676694_8ec484b920_o.jpg

LibertyEagle
06-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I was a little kid when that ad ran. Man, it was not pleasant around my house for quite awhile after that. My parents were huge supporters of Barry Goldwater.