PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for school newspaper article please!

libertybrewcity
03-24-2011, 11:08 AM
I need to write an article for the school newspaper. Any idea on what I should write about? It can't be about Libya..
My school is in Virginia btw.

Thanks!

acptulsa
03-24-2011, 11:12 AM
New Hampshire's having an interesting legislative session.

Oklahoma, one of two states with no national parks, is suing the EPA for demanding changes to an Oklahoma power plant in the name of protecting national parks.

All kinds of interesting things in the news. Try the 'new posts' button.

jmdrake
03-24-2011, 11:18 AM
How about sound money? Glenn Bradley being interviewed about that on national TV would be a good jumping off point.

MikeStanart
03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
The Drug War. - Show how illegalization leads to violence & parallel it with prohibition of alcohol. Don't advocate getting high. Merely show the devastating effects the war on drugs has in regards to filling up prisons / destroying families / destroying lives over a plant.

nayjevin
03-24-2011, 01:03 PM
The proper role of government?

dannno
03-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Kucinich and Paul calling for Obama's impeachment due to undeclared war in Libya, contrast Obama and Bush foreign policy.

(Edit: Dammit, this is related to Libya, but more about impeachment, not sure if that's acceptable)

Romulus
03-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Smokers rights? lol

fisharmor
03-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Are you a member of VCDL?
Are you at least on their mailing list?
Lots and lots coming out of that group to write about.
For instance, one of their goals is to relax gun restrictions on public school property.
If you're good, you could do a seemingly sycophantic piece (to be sure it actually gets printed) with a couple Trojan Horse arguments in there.

Other ideas:

Virginia has property taxes. Plenty to write about that.

Different counties have different development plans. If you're up north, it's quite apparent that Fairfax County is pretty weaned off of building pressboard estates, and has a lot more big apartment complexes and town centers... while Loudoun and PW counties are still cutting down forest to put up McMansions.
How about this for an article: town centers used to be just towns. (i.e., people used to live there, too.)

Lots and lots of eminent domain going on here.

Public transit.

How about the Washington Headquarters Services building on 395 in Alexandria. The construction of it is a statist nightmare, and to top it off, I dare you to figure out what the hell WHS even does.

Are you down south?
Tobacco farming. Not sure how it's going these days, but last I heard it wasn't doing well. Why not?

I-81 corridor, and how it should have been expanded to 8 lanes for its entire length about 10 years ago.

Cuccinelli's stand against Obamacare. Where's that going? It's one of the 10th Amendment showdowns going on right now.

Read Virginia's constitution. Plenty of meat in there, by God!
Some quotes:
"That all power is vested in, and consequently derived from, the people, that magistrates are their trustees and servants, and at all times amenable to them."
"That all power of suspending laws, or the execution of laws, by any authority, without consent of the representatives of the people, is injurious to their rights, and ought not to be exercised."
"that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty"

messana
03-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Government driving up the cost of education.

Immorality of income taxes.

heavenlyboy34
03-24-2011, 01:47 PM
something related to police violence against citizens would be interesting :cool:

juleswin
03-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Wisconsin vs the tax payers. trying pointing out the flaws and missteps of both sides. Walker in including the ability to sell off govt property without a bidding process and we all know what is wron with the Unions

tangent4ronpaul
03-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Just as an unusual idea, how about the National Radio Quiet Zone. Is it a good thing? Is it constitutional? How would you accomplish such a thing in the free market?

fyi: if you use a cell phone there, the cops show up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Radio_Quiet_Zone

Another odd one would be Afghanistan Cave complexes and the underground river systems connecting them. Their effect on the War there and our inability to catch 50 terrorists.

tangent4ronpaul
03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
The Drug War. - Show how illegalization leads to violence & parallel it with prohibition of alcohol. Don't advocate getting high. Merely show the devastating effects the war on drugs has in regards to filling up prisons / destroying families / destroying lives over a plant.

If you go with this also look at the economics as it costs several times more to incarcerate someone than they would make in the workforce - so the taxpayer and economy both suffer. Also much more cost effective to do do outpatient drug treatment. Then look at Portuagal and Holland where drugs are largely legal, violent crime down and less drug use than where it's illegal.

sailingaway
03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Patriot act is coming up....

acptulsa
03-24-2011, 02:12 PM
How 'bout the proposed ban on ham radio? There's a thread on it around here somewhere.

You're getting a hell of a lot of ideas here. Sorry, I can't help you choose between them.