PDA

View Full Version : "I'm Criticizing Our Government, Not Americans..."

AGRP
03-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't nessisarily buy this line anymore when people criticize America.

Isn't it the duty of Americans to rise up and do something about their government?

Isn't it our responsibility to stop unconstitutional wars?

QueenB4Liberty
03-23-2011, 08:34 PM
The people are the government. It's our fault it's become what it has.

bwlibertyman
03-23-2011, 08:41 PM
yep

dannno
03-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Ya sorta, but they are the ones lying and being manipulative, not the people.. The people are just being gullible, and so I blame them, in general, for being gullible, but not for the actions that the criminals in power take.

South Park Fan
03-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Not necessarily. None of us can be held accountable for giving tacit consent to the system which we are forced to live with. That's the same logic that leads government officials to declare that attacking civilians is okay since they "consent" to their government.

prmd142
03-23-2011, 09:40 PM
there are no innocent civilians. there are only tax payers funding the government and the army. that's what you get when you have a democracy. yea... US is no longer a republic. it's a democracy. citizens are responsible/accountable for every action of the government & army coz they fund them.

South Park Fan
03-23-2011, 09:51 PM
there are no innocent civilians. there are only tax payers funding the government and the army. that's what you get when you have a democracy. yea... US is no longer a republic. it's a democracy. citizens are responsible/accountable for every action of the government & army coz they fund them.

That's the idiotic logic I speak of. To say that American citizens are responsible for their government's actions makes no more sense than saying that mugging victims are responsible for the actings of theives. Whether or not there is a 'democratic' facade surrounding the theft is irrelevant.

AGRP
03-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Aren't we as Libertarians always claiming it's the responsibility of the people of Iran to change it?

There's a thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?284668-I-tried-the-anti-violence-argument-thing-tonight) right now about someone who has had it with attempting to change the views of progressives and neocons.

It's those very same progressives and neocons who are responsible for voting for the "system which we are forced to live with."