PDA

View Full Version : U.S. soldier gets 24 years for murdering Afghans

aGameOfThrones
03-23-2011, 08:16 PM
TACOMA, Washington (Reuters) - The first of five U.S. soldiers charged with killing unarmed Afghan civilians last year was sentenced on Wednesday to 24 years in prison after pleading guilty to three counts of premeditated murder.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/24/us-soldiers-crimes-idUSTRE72M99H20110324

QueenB4Liberty
03-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Wow. Then he'll be back out on our streets. Sick. I guess that's the American Justice system.

Freedom 4 all
03-23-2011, 08:20 PM
He should have been executed. Still, this is MUCH more than a cop would get for premeditated murder of American citizens so I guess there's that.

QueenB4Liberty
03-23-2011, 08:24 PM
He should have been executed. Still, this is MUCH more than a cop would get for premeditated murder of American citizens so I guess there's that.

I guess that's a plus.

Kludge
03-23-2011, 08:29 PM
I wonder how he'll be treated in prison and what he'll become after leaving.

Worth noting "The judge also ruled Morlock's incarceration would be reduced by nearly a year for time already served since he was charged, and that he would be eligible for parole in about seven years."

mport1
03-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Disgusting, he should have gotten life. I am sure there a ton more sick people like this in the military that we just haven't heard about yet.

QueenB4Liberty
03-23-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm sure sure a lot of them are like this, they just don't get caught. :(

sratiug
03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
He should have run for president before he killed those people, then he'd get a medal for it.

Kylie
03-23-2011, 08:47 PM
This just may be the type of shit that happens when you fight unjust wars. I can't imagine the mindfuck you have to go through in order to get to that point, but I'm sure that the breaking the military gives them upon internship doesn't help. Not making excuses, just trying to understand. Then again, I guess there really is no understanding it.

Zatch
03-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Wtf:

the judge also ruled morlock's incarceration would be reduced by nearly a year for time already served. He will be eligible for parole in about seven years.

awake
03-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Phew, that ought to do it, the military is no place for murderers.

qh4dotcom
03-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Any member of the military who kills an innocent civilian should get jail time...including those dropping bombs from the sky.

QueenB4Liberty
03-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Any member of the military who kills an innocent civilian should get jail time...including those dropping bombs from the sky.

that would be impossible to calculate.

fisharmor
03-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Wtf:... He will be eligible for parole in about seven years.

Some other totally unrelated facts.

William Calley, the only person convicted for participating in the Mai Lai Massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai_Lai_Massacre) (which included rape and killing women, children, and elderly), ended up serving four and one-half months.

Bernard Von NotHaus faces up to 25 years for encouraging other people to pay for goods and services with precious metal.

Stary Hickory
03-23-2011, 09:30 PM
He got a more lenient sentence for agreeing to testify against the others. So have to see what happens next.

Freedom 4 all
03-23-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm fascinated as to what the neocon have to say about this. On one hand these fuckers LOVE State-inflicted punishment, but on the other hand killing Muslims for no good reason is their masturbation fantasy. Anyone see any amusing neocon responses yet? My personal favorite neocon cesspit (for sheer inanity) is Sean Hannity Forums and they're apparently pretending it didn't happen as there are no posts about it anywhere on the site.

doodle
03-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Disgusting, he should have gotten life.

I didn't read that he killed any white people, I think it's fine for killing bunch of brown Afghan civilians in a war zone. War is hell, stuff happens.

Caution: graphic
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-65981.html

BTW, this happened after Sarah Palin of Wasilla, Alaska called for surge in Afghanistan and after she called war in Iraq revenge attack g_d's task.

guitarlifter
03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
And people are complaining that wikileaks was releasing information on crimes like these?

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-24-2011, 12:44 AM
My god, all this rhetoric is anti-american. Putting an American life above an enemy's. I don't feel anyone should have the right to talk trash unless they themselves were in war situations.

ONLY in America. A soldier being told to go get the enemy, kills an unarmed enemy, then comes back to America and gets 24 years in prison, LOL.

Bosco Warden
03-24-2011, 12:49 AM
What do you expect when a contrived war is thrown at young adults barely our of high school and really only played video games and the like. This is really just sad for all concerned. IMHO

acptulsa
03-24-2011, 05:08 AM
And the commercials advertising the Marine Corps continue 24/7. Scrape up everything with two legs, send them off to kill, jail the ones who can't or won't follow orders, and send the rest home on one leg. And all so we can feed trucks when we could get around in cars or on scooters.

Then the government starts promoting illegal, 'non-approved' renewable energy sources like veggie oil filtered for diesel use. Have respect for the law, but don't wait until we repeal the stupid ones before you start taking our advice. Otherwise, you're depriving us of revenue.

Ignore the laws we ought to be repealing, but maintain respect for the law. Kill but don't shoot until you see the caliber of their gun. Win but don't celebrate. And if our government kept its nose out of our fuel tanks and their internal affairs, how much better places would the nation and the world be?

Yeah, Eighteen year old kids expected to enforce insanity without going insane. Realistic outcome.

fisharmor
03-24-2011, 07:42 AM
My god, all this rhetoric is anti-american. Putting an American life above an enemy's. I don't feel anyone should have the right to talk trash unless they themselves were in war situations.

ONLY in America. A soldier being told to go get the enemy, kills an unarmed enemy, then comes back to America and gets 24 years in prison, LOL.

I think the people who decided to send him to prison were probably not of the same mind as you.
See, you apparently think every single person in Afghanistan is our enemy.
If that's true, then this war should have been over somewhere around 2005. We simply would have exterminated everyone in the country.

Now the trouble here is, you need to realize that normal human beings don't assume that genocide is the necessary consequence of war.

However, I do agree with the notion that if we want to win this thing we need to start committing atrocities. Not this mamby-pamby waterboarding stuff.
I mean, we need youtube of our soldiers garotting infants.
We need jpegs of pregnant women getting skewered with bayonets.
We need to shout down the resulting objections with chants of "U-S-A! U-S-A!" as we're waving flags and pinning yellow ribbons on each other.
I agree with you, if we imprison people who kill indiscriminately, we're never going to win. The only way to stay on top of this is convincing the locals that if they don't want every second of their lives to be abject horror, they need to do every single thing we tell them to do.
That is the way conquests are concluded. Not with elections... with executions.

Of course, you could come to the realization that everyone else here has, which is that we are never going to win this fucking thing, and you could stop spending so much of your effort here defending this bullshit.

doodle
03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
This could hurt Palin's chances for 2012 even if he was at her house just for pizza party once and never listened to her war sermons.

qh4dotcom
03-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Disgusting, he should have gotten life.
The murderers of innocent civilians who drop bombs from the sky get nothing at all...instead they are considered heroes.

Diurdi
03-24-2011, 10:48 AM
If you read the article, you can clearly see that he didn't shoot them in the "heat of the battle" or anything like that. More likely just cold blooded murder and then attempting to stage it to look like a combat situation.

And to be honest, the guys dropping bombs from the sky can't be blamed for civilian casulties most of the time, as the commands and intel probably make them believe they're dropping 'em on real targets.

mport1
03-29-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm sure sure a lot of them are like this, they just don't get caught. :(

Yep, I'm sure this happens all the time and nobody cares about it so it doesn't come to light. Many of these soldiers do not see the "enemy" as human and would love to murder them for sport. Watch is confession. The guy is clearly not sorry for what he did - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H95nMGheSaU

PreDeadMan
03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
come on he was only fighting for the country, our freedom, apple pie, the flag , so he made 1 mistake big deal...... in order to make an omlette you have to crack a few eggs!....
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0912/permanent-facepalm-facepalm-fail-pigeon-demotivational-poster-1260284257.jpg

Vessol
03-29-2011, 10:39 PM
What about all the commanding officers who acknowledged and did nothing about this?

They won't see a day behind bars.

PreDeadMan
03-29-2011, 10:45 PM
What about all the commanding officers who acknowledged and did nothing about this?

They won't see a day behind bars.

Just like the police protect their own it's no surprise that the military will protect their own....