PDA

View Full Version : Automated polling legalities?

JohnXSmith
10-24-2007, 02:24 PM
What is the current law on phone polling using a machine to dial, speak, and record responses? Is it legal?

I know the do not call list has exemptions for political polling but I can't find definitive information on this question.

John

Dan D.
12-22-2007, 01:29 AM
It is illegal to autodial cell phones, possibly on the federal level.

It is illegal in some states to make unsolicited calls to cell phones.

Laws vary between states regarding recordings of calls. In some states, both parties must consent, in some states only 1 must.

Chester Copperpot
12-22-2007, 01:38 AM
What is the current law on phone polling using a machine to dial, speak, and record responses? Is it legal?

I know the do not call list has exemptions for political polling but I can't find definitive information on this question.

John

YEs it is legal. The automated systems fall under the same law as the junk fax law. Basically the way the law is worded, no automated dialing machines with automated recordings may be used to call any resident to market or sell ANY product or service... Of course politics is not a product or service so it is perfectly okay.. as is lets say you faxing 10,000 people the message "Have a nice day"

Once you offer a product or service.. even a charitable one then youve broken the law.