PDA

View Full Version : HR-607 - Peter King trying to ban Ham Radio

tangent4ronpaul
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.arrl.org/hr-607

HR 607

On February 10, 2011, Rep. Peter King (R-NY), Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, introduced H.R. 607, the “Broadband for First Responders Act of 2011,” which has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee (which handles telecommunications legislation). The bill addresses certain spectrum management issues including the creation and maintenance of a nationwide Public Safety broadband network.

As part of that network, the Bill provides for the allocation of the so-called “D-Block” of spectrum in the 700 MHz range for Public Safety use. HR 607 uniquely, provides for the reallocation of other spectrum for auction to commercial users, in order to offset the loss of revenue that would occur as the result of the allocation of the D-Block to Public Safety instead of commercial auction. H.R. 607 lists, among the bands to be reallocated for commercial auction within ten years of the passage of the Bill, the paired bands 420-440 MHz and 450-470 MHz.

The inclusion of most of the Amateur 70-cm spectrum as one of the replacement bands is a major problem. The 420-440 MHz band is not Public Safety spectrum and should not be included in any spectrum swap of Public Safety allocations.

While the ARRL and all Amateurs support the work of Public Safety and recognize their need for dedicated spectrum which would promote interoperability, the ARRL vigorously opposes HR 607 in its present form. HR 607 is a direct threat to our limited spectrum and the ARRL encourages all amateurs to appropriately voice their opposition to this bill.

====
http://wonkette.com/440404/ira-terrorist-peter-king-now-wants-to-take-americas-amateur-radio-frequencies

IRA Terrorist Peter King Now Wants To Take America’s Amateur Radio Band

We thought he was plenty busy hating on Muslims — and why can’t the Muslims just shut their halal-holes and enjoy America’s endless bloody pointless murderous wars against Muslim countries, anyway? — but Rep. Peter King is also trying to shut down America’s ham radio frequencies.

Why? To swap ‘em for some new “broadband for cops” wireless thing, because if there’s one thing the cops need, it’s more ways to talk to each other on radios. Oh, and because the current cop band is being sold off to the private sector, because the Federal Government sells the airwaves because it can, and if you maybe have a pirate radio station playing the hip hop or revolution rock, actual armed agents will arrive and take your shit and, eventually, put you in prison.

(copy of ARRL post here)

Sorry if that can only be understood by weird old guys with a “shack” full of transceivers behind the house. The rough translation can be found on this Metafilter post:

They’re trying to get rid of HAM radio because when they pull the plug on the internet and cellphones they don’t want anybody talking with anyone. In the event of an Egypt-like blackout, HAM might be one of the few avenues left for free communication.

Again: They’re taking this away because they’re planning to openly oppress us at some point in the future.

acptulsa
03-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Figures. Those bands are very good at conforming to the curvature of the earth, and a lot of hobbyists have a lot of money and time invested in them. Indeed, between these two facts Ham is the one remaining way to communicate over very long distances without wires or satellites.

So, of course tptb are terrified of it.

Lucille
03-23-2011, 04:10 PM
That fascist POS never stops.

t0rnado
03-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Peter King should just join the US NAZI Party at this point.

tangent4ronpaul
03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Peter King should just join the US NAZI Party at this point.

hmmm... I wonder if they have an online form to request more information and an application....

<EVIL GRIN!>

Agorism
03-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Did someone who didn't like HAM tell him that the muslims were on HAM radio or something?

TruckinMike
03-23-2011, 07:10 PM
500 watts.....full quieting, white noise.

Gear Radio Jammer Mike:D

AuH20
03-23-2011, 07:11 PM
I must confess. He's my rep. I remember writing a long missive to him when he voted for the bailouts.

sailingaway
03-23-2011, 07:12 PM
King is frightened of so many things. It must be terrifying living in his skull.

tangent4ronpaul
03-23-2011, 07:17 PM
I must confess. He's my rep. I remember writing a long missive to him when he voted for the bailouts.

You never got a reply - right? - or a form letter that blew smoke up your ass? - curious minds want tto know....

AuH20
03-23-2011, 07:26 PM
You never got a reply - right? - or a form letter that blew smoke up your ass? - curious minds want tto know....

Well, I was on the phone with one of his young minions & she told me something along the lines that Pete King fights for interests of the New Yorkers in the financial service industry. Long Island families are counting on the stability of the banks. It was some BS response. I remember countering with the point that no self-respecting conservative politician should ever endorse the dispersion of public capital to private entities that have been enjoying the fruits of the boom times for several years. Capitalism isn't a one-sided guarantee. With all this said, Pete King is notorious for directing federal funds into the greater NYC area, whether it's anti-terror funds or whatever. He's a pig.

Noob
04-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Sample Letter and Information - HR 607

As a voter in your district and as one of the nearly 700,000 federally licensed Amateur Radio operators across the nation, I ask that you oppose H.R. 607, the "Broadband for First Responders Act of 2011" in its current form. H.R. 607 was introduced by Congressman Peter King (R-NY) and referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

H.R. 607 proposes to allocate the "D-Block" of frequencies (frequencies previously occupied by analog television) to be developed into an interoperable Public Safety wireless network. Earlier, it had been expected that the D-Block would be auctioned by the FCC for commercial use, but there is now substantial support for the allocation of the D-Block to Public Safety. H.R. 607 also provides for the reallocation of other spectrum for auction to commercial users, in order to offset the loss of revenue anticipated by the auction of the D-Block.

While I strongly support the work of the Public Safety officials who put their lives on the line for our safety, my opposition to the bill stems from the inclusion of the 420-440 MHz spectrum (the UHF 70-cm band) as part of a frequency swap and auction. Very little of this spectrum is allocated to Public Safety, and only in very limited areas. Rather, it is allocated to government radiolocation services on a primary basis, with Amateur Radio allocated on a secondary basis.

The Federal government uses this band for critical defense purposes, including Pave Paws radars for detecting surface-launched missiles aimed at the United States, and for airborne radars used for drug interdiction. The Amateur Service carefully coordinates its uses of this band to insure compatibility. The two services have a very good record of sharing this spectrum successfully, putting it to good use for both military and civilian purposes in the national interest.

Amateur radio emergency communication relies heavily on our limited frequency allocations in the VHF and UHF radio bands. The loss of access to the 420-440 MHz spectrum would make it very difficult for us to maintain this capability and would mean we could no longer use numerous systems that have been constructed on our own time and at personal expense to provide this important communications support.

Amateur Radio operators across the country repeatedly demonstrate our commitment to public service and emergency communications. Through our work with FEMA and other Homeland Security activities, state and local Emergency Management offices, and numerous charitable relief agencies, volunteer Amateur Radio operators assist the first responders, doing so at no cost to the agencies we support. The role of the Amateur Radio Service as a partner to Public Safety in providing supporting public service and emergency communications necessitates our retention of full access to the entire 70-cm band.

I understand that Public Safety officials must have the spectrum they need to do their jobs. However, it is not necessary to do so in the ill-conceived manner proposed in this bill.

Other pending legislation provides for this important goal to be realized without the proposed reallocation of non-Public Safety spectrum for commercial auction that is included in H.R. 607. I urge you to oppose H.R. 607 in its current form.

Thank you for your consideration.

http://www.arrl.org/sample-letters

madengr
04-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Yeah, this has been going around the ham community for a few weeks. What this asshole doesn't realize is that there will be a LOT of 70 cm jamming equipment laying around.

70 cm (e.g. 440 MHz) dos not typically follow the curvature of the earth, but that's beside the point. What he does not say is that fedgov (i.e. the tax payer) will be footing the bill to re-loacate commercial radio.

Agorism
04-29-2011, 06:17 AM
What's ham radio. It must be good if he's trying to ban it.

madengr
04-29-2011, 06:31 AM
http://www.arrl.org/new-to-ham-radio

TNforPaul45
04-29-2011, 10:03 AM
My dad was a hammer when he was alive. Held the highest licensce type from the FCC. He was the point of contact for our part of the state in case of major disaster. Both my parents, myself and a few of my friends are CBers.

Amateur radio operators are still a major emergency backbone to our country. The internet can be hit in a few places and be down nationally. Hammers are perfectly decentralized and each node has the ability to transmit worldwide.

I would like to see that fascist asshole try to enforce any ban. Make them illegal and the spectrum will go white hot in an hour.

madengr
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Forgot to mention that there are many ham radio satellites orbiting above you that cost allot of time and money to put up. This would wipe them all out (for US users) since the down-link frequencies are in the 70-cm band. These allow wide area communications with a hand-held radio and a small, hand-held antenna.

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/index.php

UtahApocalypse
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Holy Crap!! I am going to have to make a bunch of phone calls. This would directly affect me, and many of my friends. I had not heard of this going on. I will be writing my reps for sure.

73' DE KC7NEC

doodle
04-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Is he formally IRA.

Anti Federalist
04-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Is he formally IRA.

No, he supported IRA terrorists.

DamianTV
04-30-2011, 02:19 AM
Control the Communications and Control the Enemy.

Matt Collins
05-04-2011, 06:56 PM
KG4JYD here.... I honestly must say that the government needs to quit socializing the spectrum, and then this wouldn't be a problem. But what do I know?

Also, the good chatter is at www.QRZ.com for the ragchewers online

Anti Federalist
05-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Timely, Matt Collins-esque, Peter King bump