PDA

View Full Version : Does a University have this right?

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-23-2011, 03:17 PM
I have 6 classes left for my major, about 34 1/2 hours a week of classes, since each class is 5 hours 45 minutes long. I'm doing the same this semester and I'm passing all my classes. It's a public college. Can they deny me this?

Brown Sapper
03-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Wait till you pass this semester and then talk to your academic advisor citing that you pulled it off last semester. They have the power to waive the credit cap which is usually at 15-21 hours depending on your major.

specsaregood
03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
It's a public college. Can they deny me this?

Why wouldn't they be able to? They can deny you admission can't they?

BamaAla
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't understand what you're asking. Are you saying that you are taking 34.5 hours this semester?

At the University of Alabama, we were only allowed to 21 hours as undergraduates or 18 as graduates.

low preference guy
03-23-2011, 03:33 PM
no, they don't have that right, because they don't have a right to exist.

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-23-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't understand what you're asking. Are you saying that you are taking 34.5 hours this semester?

At the University of Alabama, we were only allowed to 21 hours as undergraduates or 18 as graduates.
It's quite unfair actually, they are "studio" classes, so I spend 5 hours 45 minutes a week in a class that only gives me 3 credit hours, so 18 x 5 hours and 45 minutes is 34 1/2 hours a week for 18 credit hours.

heavenlyboy34
03-23-2011, 04:33 PM
hmmm...sounds strange. I suggest talking to your guidance counselor/academic adviser.

erowe1
03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
It's quite unfair actually, they are "studio" classes, so I spend 5 hours 45 minutes a week in a class that only gives me 3 credit hours, so 18 x 5 hours and 45 minutes is 34 1/2 hours a week for 18 credit hours.

So you want to register for 18 credit hours and they're telling you you're not allowed to because that's too many?

Either I'm totally missing what you're saying or there's some other aspect you're not telling us.

BamaAla
03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
So you want to register for 18 credit hours and they're telling you you're not allowed to because that's too many?

Either I'm totally missing what you're saying or there's some other aspect you're not telling us.

It looks like what he is saying is that he is taking 34.5 hours of class for only 18 hours of credit.

The only comparable situation that I encountered was in lab classes. They were 2 hours long but only 1 hour of credit.

It's kind of silly, but you should have been aware of the class time and credits awarded before you registered for the classes. At this point, it's probably too late to drop the classes without academic penalty, so you're just going to have to suck it up. If they were elective courses, avoid them in the future. If they are required for your course of study, you may want to chose another major/concentration or perhaps transfer to a school that fits your schedule better.

Standing Like A Rock
03-23-2011, 04:55 PM

At the University of Alabama, we were only allowed to 21 hours as undergraduates or 18 as graduates. Roll Tide!

I think here at UA standard tuition covers up to 18 or 21 credit hours and if you want to take more, you just have to pay for more.

Maximus
03-23-2011, 05:00 PM
That policy should be stated in the book/contract you received in the year you entered school. You are bound by the rules of the year you entered school, not whatever they might be now. At least that it how it works in the CSU system in California.

MelissaWV
03-23-2011, 05:00 PM
I hope this person's not a Communications major. :D

Add me to the list of people who have no idea what's being asked, but they have a "right" to deny you anything, in theory, that they did not promise to provide in exchange for your tuition and continued good standing with the university. It's "in theory" because a "public university" uses my tax dollars to vex you so that you come online and make a post that confuses me... and that just should not happen.

eduardo89
03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Usually a university can deny your request to go over their credit/hour cap. I don't really understand that and I hope it doesn't apply to me next semester, as I need an extra class to finish my degree!

dejavu22
03-23-2011, 07:56 PM
This is actually common for most universities from my understanding. The semester that i took 24 credit hours they repeatedly told me no but i pressed the issue so they made me sign some kind of waiver and then let me take them. Go to the dean of your major and get them to make you an exemption.

Oh also a University is first and foremost a service business as it should be. Any thing they want to do is their right.

BamaAla
03-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Roll Tide!

I think here at UA standard tuition covers up to 18 or 21 credit hours and if you want to take more, you just have to pay for more.

Roll Tide! I don't miss classes, but I do miss Tuscaloosa!

TCE
03-23-2011, 10:23 PM
At my school and a few others I was thinking about attending, yes, they can waive the credits cap if they want to, if they tell you they can't, it's a lie. It is uncommon for them to do it, since most college students don't inquire, but you should. Seriously, go to every academic adviser, dean, people in the office, etc to get it done. It's worth it, because you only have one semester left anyway, so it doesn't matter what you do.

guitarlifter
03-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Are you an art student? I remember the same issue. Six hours of class for only three credit hours per art class. Then I was in marching band on top of that, which was about 12 hours a week for 1 credit hour. On top of other extracurricular activities, it got to be way too much. Be careful with those kinds of things.

erowe1
03-24-2011, 06:43 AM
It looks like what he is saying is that he is taking 34.5 hours of class for only 18 hours of credit.

The only comparable situation that I encountered was in lab classes. They were 2 hours long but only 1 hour of credit.

It's kind of silly, but you should have been aware of the class time and credits awarded before you registered for the classes. At this point, it's probably too late to drop the classes without academic penalty, so you're just going to have to suck it up. If they were elective courses, avoid them in the future. If they are required for your course of study, you may want to chose another major/concentration or perhaps transfer to a school that fits your schedule better.

So he's getting almost twice as much class time as he's paying for, and he's complaining about it?

TNforPaul45
03-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Roll Tide! I don't miss classes, but I do miss Tuscaloosa!

Roll Tide!

What kind of classes are these that they are 6 hours a week, each? Goodness gracious?

Oh yeah....... War Eagle!

dejavu22
03-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Oh i guess i should have added a Bear down!