PDA

View Full Version : Poll: As presidential candidate, Ron Paul fares best with Tea Party, secular and young vot

sailingaway
03-23-2011, 02:37 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/txpotomac/2011/03/poll_as_presidential_candidate.html

Sola_Fide
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Bump.

american.swan
03-23-2011, 06:24 PM
bump. Important read.

FSP-Rebel
03-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Weird that he only has 12% support from so-called younger voters.

The_Ruffneck
03-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Most young people i run into here are hard left leaning types who love the UN and believe in man made global warming.
12% ain't too bad , i think Paul could make better numbers in the 50+ range if those folks were more internet savvy.

Captain Shays
03-24-2011, 06:51 AM
I will say it again. We NEED to reach out to evangelical Christians. Ron Paul has by far the best message for them IF they can be reached en mass. Unless we do that, we're not going anywhere

acptulsa
03-24-2011, 06:59 AM
I will say it again. We NEED to reach out to evangelical Christians. Ron Paul has by far the best message for them IF they can be reached en mass. Unless we do that, we're not going anywhere

Same thing with older voters. Some of these never-miss-an-election types have been saying the same thing for years. They've also voted for people less charismatic than Paul--a lot of them, in the pre-TV Paleoradioassic Period. But if it doesn't come over the airwaves, they seem incapable of seeing it.

They can come around if you can show them how the MSM is calling their heartfelt beliefs 'kooky'. But you almost have to do it one by one.

ds21089
03-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Same thing with older voters. Some of these never-miss-an-election types have been saying the same thing for years. They've also voted for people less charismatic than Paul--a lot of them, in the pre-TV Paleoradioassic Period. But if it doesn't come over the airwaves, they seem incapable of seeing it.

They can come around if you can show them how the MSM is calling their heartfelt beliefs 'kooky'. But you almost have to do it one by one.

Old voters wont vote for Ron Paul because of everything the media has said about him cutting social security and medicare right away and basically throwing old people on the streets. Now this is embedded in most old peoples' minds and when they hear Ron Paul, they are afraid. Unless Ron Paul repeatedly says his exact plan thoroughly and prove that the old people will still be fine, I dont see him getting many more votes than in that poll.

acptulsa
03-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Old voters wont vote for Ron Paul because of everything the media has said about him cutting social security and medicare right away and basically throwing old people on the streets.

Well, I guess we all need to tell our grandparents (if you're young and lucky enogh to have some left) that they'd be grandfathered in. Ron Paul is very conscientious about not leaving people hanging.

Captain Shays
03-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Old voters wont vote for Ron Paul because of everything the media has said about him cutting social security and medicare right away and basically throwing old people on the streets. Now this is embedded in most old peoples' minds and when they hear Ron Paul, they are afraid. Unless Ron Paul repeatedly says his exact plan thoroughly and prove that the old people will still be fine, I dont see him getting many more votes than in that poll.

You could say the same thing about evangelical Christians or at least something similar about why they are predisposed to not vote for Ron Paul. I agree that we also need to reach out to the older voters because they have the highest voting rate of any other demographic. The trouble with "reaching out" to certain groups or getting the message out in general is that we are fighting the MSM who can reach people em mass and we can't. That means we need to use our imaginations to reach people en mass. I would suggest that we buy printing machines or work with printers to get materials at cost. It's cheaper to pay someone who knows how to operate a printer than it is to purchase materials from a printing company. Every Ron Paul supporter should be able to buy bumper stickers for $1.00 or less by now any time we want in any quantity from a single source along with professional looking flyers and signs and DVDs. I understand that so many of us are techno savvy and have the equipment to make their own materials but if we're going to have a serious campaign we cannot assume that everyone can do this just because a lot of us can do it.

BlackTerrel
03-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Most young people i run into here are hard left leaning types who love the UN and believe in man made global warming.
12% ain't too bad , i think Paul could make better numbers in the 50+ range if those folks were more internet savvy.

This is a poll among "likely Republican voters" - so I doubt those young people are "hard left leaning".

That said 12% ain't bad - but it is ground to make up.

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 08:47 AM
That said 12% ain't bad - but it is ground to make up.

Hard to quantify just how much, though. Libertarians are about the last people in the world to consider it an honor or great fun to take a survey.

realtonygoodwin
03-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Doesn't really matter. Young people don't vote enough.

outspoken
03-25-2011, 08:59 AM

If so, then people need to be exposed to the evangelical writings of Greg Boyd. Myth of a Christian Nation is a good starting point. The story of Jesus Christ and his denial of political power when tempted should be a noble and conscious goal of all people. Many Christians are in love with the religion of Christianity, especially Catholics, and fail to know Jesus as was initially intended by his disciples. If the only God one knows is an external one to be feared and uses power over the individual, then the entire purpose of Christ is lost. God is an internal level of awareness and capacity to decifer what is derived from love and what is not. Many 'Christians' would serve the world by trying agnostism for a bit rather than professing to know the light, the way, and the truth... many are spiritually unevolved fools who use religion as a means of self-righteousness.

GunnyFreedom
03-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Older voters and evangelicals not getting the message?

Don't rely on the media!

http://sustainablog.org/files/2008/06/800px-us_walk_traffic_signal.jpg

http://www.wpclipart.com/cartoon/Black_n_White/Uncle_Sam_walking.png

http://wallingfordwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/door_knocking.jpg

JoshLowry
03-25-2011, 09:22 AM
This campaign should focus on Paul vs Obama.

...and Glen's excellent imagery.

acptulsa
03-25-2011, 09:24 AM
This campaign should focus on Paul vs Obama.

Republicans love to win, and no one in the G.O.P. is winning crossover voters the way we are.

IDefendThePlatform
03-25-2011, 01:40 PM

I believe you about young australians, but this poll showed likely Republican voters, I think. Either way, there is obviously still plenty of room for our movement to grow with the younger crowd as well.

IDefendThePlatform
03-25-2011, 01:42 PM

+1

Especially in Iowa and South Carolina

trey4sports
03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Hard to quantify just how much, though. Libertarians are about the last people in the world to consider it an honor or great fun to take a survey.

As well as to vote

enoch150
03-25-2011, 03:34 PM
In terms of raw numbers, more people 18-29 vote than 65+ (22.5 million vs. 20 million in 2008). Seniors are the smallest voting demographic.

Assuming seniors vote for 12 years, the biggest bang for the buck comes from people age 30-45, followed by 45-64. Each year in the 18-29 group made up 1.5% of the total vote vs. 1.93% for each year in the 30-44 group.

18-29 1.5%
30-44 1.93%
45-64 1.85%
65+ 1.33%

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/president/

Seniors are more likely to vote Republican and in Republican primaries than younger voters. But they're still not the target group, assuming my state of Connecticut is typical:

18-29 0.9%
30-44 1.73%
45-64 2.35%
65+ 1.42%

BlackTerrel
03-26-2011, 10:42 PM

I agree. About half of Republican voters are evangelical. No one is winning the Republican nomination without a significant amount of the evangelical vote.

For those who say it can't be done - I bet you Rand got more than 50% of the evangelical vote.