PDA

View Full Version : POLL: If Congress declared war on Libya, would you support intervention there?

Knightskye
03-22-2011, 07:59 PM
If we weren't broke and weren't fighting two other wars, and Congress declared war on Libya, would you support intervention?

I know, a lot of ifs, but bear with me.

Icymudpuppy
03-22-2011, 08:01 PM
I would at least recognize it as constitutional, though I would still consider it wrong, misguided, foolish, and a waste of lives and money, and would protest it.

cswake
03-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Legal, but not moral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_War

the damage inflicted by the aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain;
all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;
there must be serious prospects of success;
the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated. The power of modern means of destruction weighs very heavily in evaluating this condition.

t0rnado
03-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Legality != morality. Killing innocent people and carpet bombing a sovereign nation is immoral whether Congress agrees or not.

Brooklyn Red Leg
03-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Considering we started the war by attacking them, I will in no way, shape or form support even a Constitutional declaration of war.

LudwigVonMisoSoup
03-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Curious if those who vote "Yes" will defend their position. Unless they're trolling.

Vessol
03-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Legality != morality. Killing innocent people and carpet bombing a sovereign nation is immoral whether Congress agrees or not.

This.

Morality > Laws

newbitech
03-22-2011, 08:17 PM
no, I am not threatened, my town is not threatened, my city and state are not threatened, least of all, the United States is not threatened. I don't believe there is any place in a civilized community for aggressive acts of violence. Yes, the rebels asked for help, so they should go to their neighbors in Egypt and around the Mediterranean Sea for help.

MikeStanart
03-22-2011, 08:17 PM
OK....Who's the one who voted "YES". Come Clean!

sailingaway
03-22-2011, 08:31 PM
We don't even know WHO the other side IS!

IDefendThePlatform
03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
No.

If they have enough money to buy a gun and fight, that means they have enough money to buy a plane ticket to America. If only we had open borders where anyone could come in and be safe.

And I definitely do feel sympathy for them, I just think a much better solution would be to provide them with safe haven, and let d-bag gaddafi fight wars with himself.

Matt Collins
03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Considering we started the war by attacking them, I will in no way, shape or form support even a Constitutional declaration of war.

"WE"?!?!?!

:confused::confused::confused:

"We" didn't attack anyone, the government did! :mad:

Kylie
03-22-2011, 09:51 PM

This.

nobody's_hero
03-23-2011, 02:45 AM
I do not think that Congress would have the votes to declare war if these wars were actually debated.

Of course, that's why they don't debate them, so they don't have to deal with pesky Constitutional procedures.

Knightskye
03-23-2011, 04:13 AM
Only 98.4% opposed to intervention. Shame! :P

BuddyRey
03-23-2011, 04:28 AM
I wouldn't care if Chuck Norris and Brian Boitano both descended from Mount Olympus and intoned an official declaration of war, from an ancient scroll scribed in oxblood, in the mellifluous voices of James Mason and Cary Grant respectively. This would still be a B.S. war based on a B.S. pretext, whose dubious Constitutionality should by all rights get the man who declared it impeached.

Sola_Fide
03-23-2011, 04:29 AM
Hell no!

BamaAla
03-23-2011, 04:34 AM
I wouldn't care if Chuck Norris and Brian Boitano both descended from Mount Olympus and intoned an official declaration of war, from an ancient scroll scribed in oxblood, in the mellifluous voices of James Mason and Cary Grant respectively. This would still be a B.S. war based on a B.S. pretext, whose dubious Constitutionality should by all rights get the man who declared it impeached.

#Winning post!

To answer the question: no.

rholl
03-23-2011, 06:15 AM
It would be legal then. But I still would not support it. It is not moral and they are no threat to us.

Stary Hickory
03-23-2011, 06:16 AM
No, not at all. We don't need to get involved in every thing that happens around the world.

tekkierich
03-23-2011, 06:24 AM
No I would not.... But I would stop bitching about it being unconstitutional.

Yieu
03-23-2011, 06:52 AM
No, it is immoral, regardless of legality. Morality transcends legality. Legal violence is still violence, and the religious/spiritual position is to be against the initiation of violence on moral grounds always, regardless of what those with legislative ink write.

Lives should not be treated with such reckless disregard. It is rare to get a human body, so it should not be wasted in war when it finally has the chance to try to understand God.

BenIsForRon
03-23-2011, 07:08 AM
I support intervention, just not by us, so I voted no. I wonder what the numbers would be for a strict European and Arab intervention?

GunnyFreedom
03-23-2011, 07:14 AM

+1

erowe1
03-23-2011, 07:29 AM

I'd still complain about it being unconstitutional. The war powers of Article I Section 8 are subsumed under the category of providing for the common defense, which attacking Libya doesn't do.

Bobster
03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
This thread made me proud to be a RPF member. :)

Aratus
03-23-2011, 08:35 AM
if congress backs obama nicely to the hilt and scabbard
of the jingoistic saber... watch me run for public office.

Freedom 4 all
03-23-2011, 08:55 AM
If we weren't broke and weren't fighting two other wars, and Congress declared war on Libya, would you support intervention?

I know, a lot of ifs, but bear with me.

It would be constituationally legit, but I would only support a war against a country that actually ATTACKED in some way. And no, 9/11 doesn't count, because it wasn't sanctioned by any state government (except possibly the U.S.).

low preference guy
03-23-2011, 08:57 AM
I wonder what the numbers would be for a strict European and Arab intervention?

my vote in that poll will be "who cares?"

Aratus
03-23-2011, 09:44 AM
i really care

i haven't voted
here on this all

i may actually run

pcosmar
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
The "No's" have it.

take that as a clue.

BuddyRey
03-23-2011, 07:11 PM
This thread made me proud to be a RPF member. :)

+1