PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul believes Libya intervention an ‘impeachable’ offense

RonPaulFanInGA
03-22-2011, 06:37 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/22/ron-paul-believes-libya-intervention-an-impeachable-offense/

Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul will be co-sponsoring an amendment announced Tuesday by Ohio Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich that would defund the American military intervention in Libya.

Kucinich suggested during a Saturday conference call with fellow anti-war Democrats that he thought impeachment could also be considered for Obama’s “unconstitutional” actions in Libya.

Paul’s spokeswoman Rachel Mills confirmed to The Daily Caller via email that Paul shares Kucinich’s point of view on the severity of the constitutional breach. “Yes, he thinks it is an impeachable offense,” Mills wrote.

squarepusher
03-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Ron Paul never lets down

QueenB4Liberty
03-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Hells yeah. But he probably won't be impeached for this.

Stary Hickory
03-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah it is just like so many things so many presidents do. Hard to find a president that was not impeachable under the US Constitution.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-22-2011, 06:52 PM
“The President committed the U.S. to military invention without consulting Congress, in clear subversion of Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution, which gives only Congress the power to declare war,” Kucinich wrote in a Tuesday letter to colleagues.

http://images.politico.com/global/cartoon/110322_cartoon_600.jpg

kah13176
03-22-2011, 07:23 PM
There's no grounds for impeachment because the War Powers Act was upheld. Maybe after 90 days...

low preference guy
03-22-2011, 07:33 PM
There's no grounds for impeachment because the War Powers Act was upheld. Maybe after 90 days...

i thought the war powers act could only be used when there is an imminent threat to the U.S.. what's the threat?

sailingaway
03-22-2011, 07:37 PM

No, the War Powers Act requires imminent threat to the US AND consultation with Congress. THey are pointing to the Senate 'nonbinding resolution' for the UN to look into up to a no fly zone, which was passed on motion without objection, by only having the title, not that provision, read and the title was something like 'Libya sucks for bombing its own people' as I recall.

Vessol
03-22-2011, 07:43 PM
i thought the war powers act could only be used when there is an imminent threat to the u.s.. What's the threat?

the terrorists might win if we dont go to libya

speciallyblend
03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
the problem is not what ron paul believes. it is that the gop doesn't give a rats ass about the us constitution and they endorse obama and bush foreign policy one in the same . the gop is and has become a joke!!

heavenlyboy34
03-22-2011, 08:07 PM
the problem is not what ron paul believes. it is that the gop doesn't give a rats ass about the us constitution and they endorse obama and bush foreign policy one in the same . the gop is and has become a joke!!

qft!

Aratus
03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
http://images.politico.com/global/cartoon/110322_cartoon_600.jpg

yep... dern tootin'

Vessol
03-23-2011, 09:52 AM
I got in a very heated argument in one of my classes earlier today over this. My teacher, who I normally get along with, told me that the "elasticity" of the Constitution and the War Powers act allows us to do this Constitutionally. I then got in another heated argument with a guy who thought that the no fly zone was great, I then asked why he wouldn't support a no-fly zone in other countries with dictators, like Burma. He told me that we can't free Burma, because crazy communists would take over or something.

Fire11
03-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Al Qaida commander backs Libyan rebels in message

A senior member of al Qaida urged Libyan rebels to continue their fight against Muammar Gaddafi and warned of the consequences of defeat, in a videotaped message posted on Jihadi websites, the Qatar-based Gulf News reported on Sunday.

The message from Libya native, Abu Yahya al-Libi, marked the first time a top ranked al Qaida commander had commented on the uprising in Libya. Gaddafi has repeatedly blamed al Qaida for inciting the unrest against him.

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=212003

Fire11
03-23-2011, 08:00 PM
The declaration of Independence. IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/index.htm

QueenB4Liberty
03-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I got in a very heated argument in one of my classes earlier today over this. My teacher, who I normally get along with, told me that the "elasticity" of the Constitution and the War Powers act allows us to do this Constitutionally. I then got in another heated argument with a guy who thought that the no fly zone was great, I then asked why he wouldn't support a no-fly zone in other countries with dictators, like Burma. He told me that we can't free Burma, because crazy communists would take over or something.

You should have told him that we don't even know who the "rebels" in Libya are necessarily. They could be terrorists who want to do America harm.

fisharmor
03-23-2011, 08:52 PM
The last constitutional declaration of war was in 1942, against Romania.
You see.... we didn't just do it once and then get a free pass. Back then, we declared war against every sovereign nation that we fought.
How much things can change in eight years.

QueenB4Liberty
03-23-2011, 08:56 PM
I hadn't even realize this until recently, that we haven't actually declared war since the 40's.

So on top of everything else, Vietnam wasn't even declared?

heavenlyboy34
03-23-2011, 09:15 PM
I hadn't even realize this until recently, that we haven't actually declared war since the 40's.

So on top of everything else, Vietnam wasn't even declared?

Nope. Neither was the Korean "war" (http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Korean_War#The_war_begins)(more accurately called an illegal US invasion during a foreign civil war, but you get the idea).

Aratus
03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
korea was a "U.N police action" --- GOOGLE IT!

GULF of TONKIN was a resolution in 1964 ---- its short of a war and is a support apparatus akin to LEND/LEASE

then we get more interesting ---- and maybe less legal

Aratus
03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
SEATO + NATO are alliances

Aratus
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
we were a superpower