PDA

View Full Version : Radley Balko leaving Reason Magazine to work for Huffington Post

jct74
03-22-2011, 07:38 AM
This is an interesting development. Radley does great work at Reason, especially on the drug war and issues of police misconduct. He is my favorite journalist at Reason, certainly will be a big loss for them, but should give Radley a larger platform and new audience to disseminate his work to. Below is the press release from HuffPo, and here is Radley's tweet confirming that he will be leaving Reason:

It's true--I'm leaving Reason in May to work at Huffington Post. I Love Reason, but this is a great opportunity. More details to come.

http://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/50179877751631872

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Huffington Post Media Group Names Six Additions To Expanding Reporting Team

The New York Times’ Maura Egan Joins as Deputy Entertainment, Culture and Lifestyle Editor; Radley Balko As Criminal Justice Reporter

Also Added to the Media Group are Rebecca Carroll, Amanda Millner-Fairbanks, Jaweed Kaleem, and Christopher Spurlock

New York, NY - March 22, 2011 -- AOL, Inc.’s (NYSE:AOL) The Huffington Post Media Group, a leading source of news, opinion, entertainment, community, and digital information, announces today the addition of six new hires to its reporting team. They include veteran reporters and editors from leading news outlets and talented young journalists who will cover a broad range of subjects. The announcement brings to 23 the number of new journalism hires since The Huffington Post joined forces with AOL. The Huffington Post Media Group will continue to expand its original reporting across all sections, from politics and entertainment to health, food, style, kids, parenting, personal finance, and more.

Reason’s Radley Balko has been named Criminal Justice Reporter; Rebecca Carroll has been named Culture Editor of Black Voices; The New York Times’ Maura Egan has been named Deputy Entertainment, Culture and Lifestyle Editor; GOOD’s Amanda Millner-Fairbanks has been named Education Reporter; and The Miami Herald’s Jaweed Kaleem has been named Religion Reporter. Christopher Spurlock joins The Huffington Post Media Group as Infographic Design Editor, as part of the Jefferson Program for Young Journalists, an initiative to nurture new journalistic talents by pairing them with seasoned editors, writers, and reporters.

“I’m really excited about these new additions to our reporting team,” said Arianna Huffington, President and Editor-in-Chief of The Huffington Post Media Group. “They will all contribute greatly to The Huffington Post Media Group’s goal of delivering high-impact and engaging journalism. Radley Balko is an award-winning investigative reporter; Maura Egan is a distinguished and creative fashion and lifestyle editor; Amanda Millner-Fairbanks’ education reporting has been shaped by her real-life teaching experience; Rebecca Carroll will provide thought-provoking coverage of black culture; and Jaweed Kaleem will bring to our religion section the fresh take on religion for which he is known. I’m also delighted to add Christopher Spurlock as a Jefferson young reporter. We couldn’t resist hiring him after seeing his amazing infographic resume, which became a viral sensation.”

Radley Balko was a senior editor at Reason magazine, where he worked as an investigative reporter covering criminal justice and civil liberties. Balko's work on paramilitary raids and the overuse of SWAT teams was featured in The New York Times and was cited by the U.S. Supreme Court. Balko's November 2007 investigative report on Mississippi medical examiner Steven Hayne won second place in the investigative reporting category for the 2007 Los Angeles Press Club awards. Balko also brings with him to The Huffington Post Media Group his two personal blogs, TheAgitator.com and NashvilleByline.com

Rebecca Carroll has held editor positions at Uptown and Paper magazines, as well as at Contentville.com and Africana.com, where she was the founding editor.

Maura Egan has been Travel Editor of T Magazine, The New York Times' fashion and lifestyle magazine, since 2008. And prior to that, she edited all of the T books including living, design, and men's and women's fashion. From 2001 to 2004, she was the Style Director of Details magazine, and prior to that edited food and fashion articles at The New York Times Magazine.

Amanda Millner-Fairbanks was most recently Education Editor of GOOD. She previously worked in the editorial department of The New York Times and taught sixth grade in New York City as part of the Teach for America program.

Jaweed Kaleem has been the religion reporter for The Miami Herald since 2007.

Christopher Spurlock will join The Huffington Post Media Group in May, as soon as he graduates from the University of Missouri where he produces infographics for the Columbia Missourian.

http://www.businessinsider.com/arianna-huffington-aol-nyt-hire-2011-3

Kludge
03-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Is this because I JUST mentioned a couple days ago on here that his articles are one of the primary reasons I still read Reason?

Must be.

I won't follow him, but am sad to see him leave them -- very glad at the same time. No more 'preaching to the choir' - he's got a huge audience now who wouldn't usually give him the kind of credibility HuffPo employment does.

specsaregood
03-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Is the strike against Huffpo still in effect?

jct74
03-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Is the strike against Huffpo still in effect?

Yes. I just saw this on Drudge a few days ago actually:

Newspaper Guild adds firepower to Huffington Post strike
http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/17/newspaper-guild-huffington-post-strike/

A strike called by unpaid Huffington Post contributors received a major boost Wednesday with a call to arms released by the national Newspaper Guild.

The industry association called on contributors not currently on strike to cease contributions and asked members to help by “shining a light on the unprofessional and unethical practices of this company.”

The Newspaper Guild boasts 26,000 members and is affiliated with the Communications Workers of America (CWA). The CWA is affiliated with the AFL-CIO.

Schiff_FTW
03-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Why AOL bought Huffpo is beyond me. It seems like a huge strategic blunder considering that their remaining customer base consists mostly of center-right "middle America".

Lucille
03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
This is an interesting development. Radley does great work at Reason, especially on the drug war and issues of police misconduct. He is my favorite journalist at Reason, certainly will be a big loss for them, but should give Radley a larger platform and new audience to disseminate his work to.

That's how I felt about it initially, but then I wondered if he'll just be preaching to a larger choir. It's definitely Reason's loss.

Cowlesy
03-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Why AOL bought Huffpo is beyond me. It seems like a huge strategic blunder considering that their remaining customer base consists mostly of center-right "middle America".

It still amazes me AOL has customers. They're going to have turn a miracle with Huffington Post for how much they paid for it. Ariana and the shareholders made out like bandits on the sale.

jct74
03-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Here's more from Radley:
http://www.theagitator.com/2011/03/22/so-i-have-some-news/

In May, I値l be leaving Reason to work as a crime reporter for the Huffington Post. As you may know, AOL bought Huffington Post several months ago, and they池e hiring a ton of great people to build out a serious journalism program. I値l be working with some really talented folks, like (former Agitator guest blogger) Ryan Grim, and Peter Goodman and Tim O達rien, who came over from the New York Times. I値l be covering the same beat I do now, only with a much bigger platform, and with the resources to delve into bigger, more in-depth projects.

So what does all this mean for the blog? Come May, The Agitator will be hosted over at Huffington Post. I値l continue to blog here daily, and I致e been assured that there will be no content restrictions or editorial control over what I post. The blog will likely look a little different (I imagine there will be more ads), and the comments section will probably be a bit more crowded, but otherwise, things here will stay the same. So I hope you値l all keep reading.