PDA

View Full Version : What happened to HR 3835?

jrich4rpaul
10-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Has anyone contacted their representative to ask them to co-sponsor Ron Paul's Freedom Agenda Act (HR 3835)?

To search for your rep go to http://www.house.gov/ and type in your zipcode in the top left to search.

foofighter20x
10-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Sadly, this will probably get pigeonholed in committee. :(

Mortikhi
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I just emailed my Representative.

jrich4rpaul
10-24-2007, 04:27 PM
"Let it not be said that we did nothing." :D

Let's spread the word and try.

kylejack
10-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I've hyped it to my representatives, but they're not likely to listen as they are pro-oppression Republicans. Its in committee and probably won't re-emerge.

foofighter20x
10-24-2007, 04:43 PM
I've hyped it to my representatives, but they're not likely to listen as they are pro-oppression Republicans. Its in committee and probably won't re-emerge.

Yup... That'd be the definition of pigeonholed. :)

kylejack
10-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Yup... That'd be the definition of pigeonholed. :)
Yes, I know.

nullvalu
10-24-2007, 04:49 PM
I sent an email to my Rep a few days ago, I actually got a response today!

Dear :

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding the judicial treatment of detainees in U.S. custody, including your support for H.R. 3835, the American Freedom Agenda Act of 2007. I appreciate hearing from you.

Be assured that I am sensitive to your concerns. That is why on June 29, 2007, I joined 143 Members of Congress in a letter to President Bush, urging him to close the Guantanamo Bay prison. Our letter discourages the Administration from reversing its position to close the detention facilities at Guantanamo Bay, which Secretary of Defense Robert Gates testified to on March 29, 2007, during testimony before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense. Closing Guantanamo Bay is necessary to restore the right of habeas corpus to detainees and to allow for fair and transparent trials as we bring enemies of our country to justice. I believe that the closure of the detention facilities at Guantanamo Bay would represent a positive first step toward restoring our international reputation as the leader of democracy and individual rights.

The U.S. Constitution forbids indefinite detention except in the most exceptional circumstances, and such cases are subject to rigorous procedural safeguards. That is why on September 29, 2006, I opposed S. 3930, the Military Commissions Act of 2006. Unfortunately, despite my opposition, the House approved S. 3930 by a vote of 250 to 170, and on October 17, 2006, President Bush signed the measure into law as P.L. 109-366. Introduced by Sen. McConnell, P.L. 109-366 mirrored President Bush's proposal to establish a separate judicial process for detainees at Guantanamo Bay. Additionally, the law does not allow detainees the right to challenge their cases in the U.S. court system.

Specific to your concerns, Rep. Paul has introduced H.R. 3835, which would repeal P.L. 109-366 and would allow the use of military commissions only in places of active hostility where an immediate trail is necessary to preserve evidence or prevent chaos. The measure also would declare that no information can be admitted as evidence in a civilian or military tribunal if it is obtained through the use of torture or coercion. H.R. 3835 also would allow Members of Congress to challenge presidential signing statements, and would prohibit the use of secret evidence to designate an individual or organization with a U.S. presence to be a foreign terrorist or foreign terrorist organization.

H.R. 3835 was referred to the House Committees on the Judiciary, Armed Services, Foreign Affairs, and Intelligence, where it is currently pending consideration. The measure has no cosponsors and a companion measure has not been introduced in the Senate.
Thank you again for contacting me. Be assured that I will continue to monitor all measures that would affect the judicial process for detainees with your views in mind. Do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Peter J. Visclosky
Member of Congress

can anyone recommend a good followup to this letter?

Richie
10-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I e-mailed John Sarbanes about it, and I requested a response. So far, nothing. I'm not surprised, though. I can't stand Sarbanes.

RP4ME
10-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I should be seeing my rep thsi Sat night! So I will hand her a copy of it and ecourage her support BUT she was put in power by Cheney and Bush - they came here to cmpaign for her...she is a big Patriot Act girl