PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Ellsberg Among 35 Arrested Defending Bradley Manning

raiha
03-21-2011, 05:25 PM
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Bradley-Manning-WikiLeaks-Protest-Virginia-Daniel-Ellsberg-Among-35-Arrested-Outside-Quantico-Base/Article/201103315956985?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_A rticle_Teaser_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_15956985_Bradley_Manning_WikiLeaks_Pro test_Virginia%3A_Daniel_Ellsberg_Among_35_Arrested _Outside_Quantico_Base

Arrests At WikiLeaks Marine Base Protest

Monday March 21, 2011

More than 30 people have been arrested outside a US marine base during a protest against the treatment of a detained army private accused of giving classified information to Wikileaks.

Daniel Ellsberg was one of the 35 people arrested outside the Quantico marine base

Bradley Manning is being held in solitary confinement at the Quantico base in Virginia awaiting trial on nearly two dozen charges, including aiding the enemy.

The 23-year-old former intelligence analyst is accused of handing over confidential US military and government documents to the whistleblowing website.

He is suspected of leaking a military video showing an attack on unarmed men in Iraq, war logs from Iraq and Afghanistan and more than 250,000 state department cables.

Hundreds of people joined a rally outside Quantico, chanting "Free Bradley Manning" and holding banners that read "Caution: Whistleblower Torture Zone".

Scuffles broke out when riot police tried to move demonstrators away from an intersection at the base entrance.

One of the 35 people arrested was Daniel Ellsberg, a Manning supporter who leaked the so-called Pentagon Papers about the Vietnam War in 1971.

The 79-year-old gave a speech at the rally and was quoted as saying: "I want Bradley Manning's courage to be contagious."

A report on the Bradley Manning Support Network website said protesters had tried to march to the Iwo Jima memorial to lay a wreath, but military officers stopped them.

In response the group began a spontaneous sit-in and refused to move, prompting local and military police to make arrests.

Colonel Thomas V Johnson, a spokesman for the Marine Corps at Quantico, said access to the memorial was denied because protest activity is not permitted on base grounds.

Earlier this month, chief state department spokesman PJ Crowley quit after he criticised the detention of Manning as "counterproductive and stupid".

When President Barack Obama was asked about the matter, he said he had been assured by the Pentagon the conditions in which the private was being held were "appropriate".

There is no revolutionary like an old revolutionary. Daniel Ellsberg never loses his cajones.

AGRP
03-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Truth is treason in the enemy of lies.

Aratus
03-22-2011, 11:49 AM
deja vu all of again? daniel ellsburg arrested at an antiwar rally? ask me if i am shocked!

raiha
03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
deja vu all of again? daniel ellsburg arrested at an antiwar rally? ask me if i am shocked!

Oh. Does he make a habit of it? Not being American, I have not heard of him since Watergate. I thought it was a "Don't be so Mean to Bradley Manning" rally, not anti-war.:confused:

Aratus
03-22-2011, 05:03 PM
true... the focus of the rally
is ptv. manning and his DVD