PDA

View Full Version : FEMA's response in SoCal has been surprisingly good...

Starks
10-24-2007, 12:48 PM
What's going on here?

I thought FEMA couldn't do anything right. :confused:

Rivington Essex
10-24-2007, 12:54 PM
I saw a NY Times article today comparing the demographics implying FEMA does pretty weell when the neighboorhood is white and republican.

Wendi
10-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm probably going to get flamed for saying it but...

Look at the pictures from the Superdome. Rioting, looting, trash everywhere, people screaming, running around, beating each other up, etc. etc. etc.

Look at the pictures from Qualcomm. People standing calmly in line. Holding bags (and babies) for one another. Entertainers spontaneously giving free shows for well-behaved children.

I think it has a lot to do with whether the people are more interested in helping themselves, or screaming about the fact that they didn't get enough handouts fast enough for their selfish taste.

And it has nothing to do with what color your skin is, what state you live in, or how much education you have. It has everything to do with whether or not you are capable of acting like a decent human being under horrible circumstances.

Beerhall Agitator
10-24-2007, 01:01 PM
well the local policemen didn't split along with the mayor, and the populace didn't begin looting and pillaging the entire region

Rivington Essex
10-24-2007, 01:03 PM
not yet!

Starks
10-24-2007, 01:03 PM
But why?

Why is FEMA so organized this time around?

hard@work
10-24-2007, 01:04 PM
FEMA is crap. We have all of our equipment and guard in Iraq. The only reason we are doing better out here is that THE PEOPLE are taking care of each other. We have hundreds of volunteers flocking out to the evac centers and thousands of donors bringing in food, supplies, and funds. In Katrina they prevented this leading to a disaster. We could easily have had pictures of hundreds of volunteers and donors bringing food and helping at the stadium in New Orleans. Instead we had photos of distraught and suffering.

FEMA is a joke, we don't need them. We need our money locally so we can handle fire prevention. Instead this year it was cut for Iraq funding.

Total bullshit.

noxagol
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
FEMA did turn away a lot of crap in New Orleans.

hard@work
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Please excuse my swearing. This is the second time my city has been through this in recent memory. Look at this crap:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070402/news_1n2fire.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21443093/

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2005/10/12/17741941.php

FEMA is out here blabbling on trying to sound like they're here to help. Same crap as Katrina except this time they are going to take credit for what the city and the people have done.

freelance
10-24-2007, 01:12 PM
FEMA has done such a wonderful job because FEMA either isn't there yet, or they're just getting there. They have not yet had time to screw up.

paulitics
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
FEMA has done such a wonderful job because FEMA either isn't there yet, or they're just getting there. They have not yet had time to screw up.

your probably right.

angelatc
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
FEMA is crap. We have all of our equipment and guard in Iraq. The only reason we are doing better out here is that THE PEOPLE are taking care of each other. We have hundreds of volunteers flocking out to the evac centers and thousands of donors bringing in food, supplies, and funds. In Katrina they prevented this leading to a disaster. We could easily have had pictures of hundreds of volunteers and donors bringing food and helping at the stadium in New Orleans. Instead we had photos of distraught and suffering.

FEMA is a joke, we don't need them. We need our money locally so we can handle fire prevention. Instead this year it was cut for Iraq funding.

Total bullshit.

That is sort of my take on it. San Diego didn't need FEMA, but FEMA needed San Diego.

RP08
10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Please excuse my swearing. This is the second time my city has been through this in recent memory. Look at this crap:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070402/news_1n2fire.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21443093/

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2005/10/12/17741941.php

FEMA is out here blabbling on trying to sound like they're here to help. Same crap as Katrina except this time they are going to take credit for what the city and the people have done.

That's my take on it as well.

JimDude
10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
I live in California and i can see the smoke. the reason is not because of Fema. There hasnt been 1 cent of aid sent by Fema yet, except for a few firefighters and planes

California fighter fighters have been fighing wildfire for 50 years and they are the best in the world. They know how to handle this.

The REAL reason this fire is so big, is because of blowback from not letting nature take its course. Every decade or so, there is a fire that clears the rainforest of debris and etc. But due to 100 years of fire protection, these forests have become overgrown and infested with debris and material, therefore when there is a fire, it is 5 times more intense than usually and bigger as well.

Whether or not Fema should be abolished, I dont know...

Electric Church
10-24-2007, 01:43 PM
It has everything to do with whether or not you are capable of acting like a decent human being under horrible circumstances...their selfish taste.
.[for food and water?].

So the people of New Orleans goaded their suffering because they were incapable of "acting like a decent human being under horrible circumstances" as opposed the people in SoCal who acted like decent human beings.

Stupidity and bigotry has always amazed me but now I’m blown away. Let's say there are a bunch of folks here rootin for Ron Paul who were from New Orleans and survived Katrina, don't you think they would be insulted especially if they lost loved ones?

The group bashing and bigotry on this forum is reaching shameless new heights. With one sentence this homely lookin creature from Texas who pretends to be an American Christian just insulted every single Katrina survivor from New Orleans.

But that’s ok….as I said earlier, insults directed at large groups of Ron Paul supporters coming from fake Ron Paul supporters are acceptable on this forum.

freelance
10-24-2007, 01:44 PM
FEMA is going to sit back, not screw up a good thing, and then take full credit.

Now, if they should actually interfere and screw things up, that will become the State of California's screw up. Just watch.

Wendi
10-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Okay, EC - break it down. How is the fact that a diverse group of people in New Orleans chose to act the way they did while another diverse group of people in San Diego chose to behave appropriately under equally horrific circumstances "bigoted" or "stupid?"

Are you suggesting, perhaps, that it had something to do with race (which I clearly stated I do not believe in my first post)? Are you suggesting, perhaps, that it had something to do with education (which again, I clearly stated I do not believe to be the case)?

The size of the groups is the same. The diversity of the groups *appears* to be the same, when comparing pictures.

What is bigoted and stupid is comments by the liberal media suggesting that "FEMA" is doing a better job because the victims are "white republicans." I see a lot of people of a lot of different ethnicities in those photos from Qualcomm, and I doubt if they're all republicans.

And there were plenty of white republicans in New Orleans...

Call it what you want, but I call it like I see it. And the difference I see so far, is in how the victims choose to act.

kylejack
10-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Okay, EC - break it down. How is the fact that a diverse group of people in New Orleans chose to act the way they did while another diverse group of people in San Diego chose to behave appropriately under equally horrific circumstances "bigoted" or "stupid?"

Are you suggesting, perhaps, that it had something to do with race (which I clearly stated I do not believe in my first post)? Are you suggesting, perhaps, that it had something to do with education (which again, I clearly stated I do not believe to be the case)?

The size of the groups is the same. The diversity of the groups *appears* to be the same, when comparing pictures.

What is bigoted and stupid is comments by the liberal media suggesting that "FEMA" is doing a better job because the victims are "white republicans." I see a lot of people of a lot of different ethnicities in those photos from Qualcomm, and I doubt if they're all republicans.

And there were plenty of white republicans in New Orleans...

Call it what you want, but I call it like I see it. And the difference I see so far, is in how the victims choose to act.
There was little excuse for people going 5 days without water from a government that should have been helping them, not thwarting free market relief efforts.

RP08
10-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Wow... Qualcomm is sure getting a lot of free advertizing out of this mess. The name's everywhere! Quick! Buy some stock.

angelatc
10-24-2007, 02:54 PM
I ws impressed when I heard on the news that they have pet areas at Qualcomm. That's awesome.

Wendi
10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Nearly everything that they have at Qualcomm, was set up by the local branch of the Red Cross. Local charity, run by local citizens... not federal employees of a big-brother government wiping someone's behind for them.

New Orleans could have chosen to do the same, but it's hard to take care of your neighbor when you're looting the local wal-mart for big-screen tvs.

And... I don't consider taking food, water, or immediate life-preserving necessities in an emergency to be "looting."

Electric Church
10-24-2007, 03:40 PM

How the hell do you know if they were equally horrific circumstances? You were not there. All you know is what is reported to you on TV so based on that you shoot off your mouth and insult all the Katrina survivors of New Orleans. That is bigoted (prejudiced, opinionated, narrow-minded) and stupid (brainless and dimwitted).

And who the hell are you to accuse the New Orleans survivors of Katrina of having “selfish taste” because “they didn't get enough handouts fast enough”. That’s very “selfish” and distasteful of them to be “screaming” for “handouts” after 5 days in the humid sweltering heat with no food and water.

Comments like that are not only bigoted and stupid they are shameful and disgusting and lead me to think that you are not only un-American but also nonhuman.

kylejack
10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Nearly everything that they have at Qualcomm, was set up by the local branch of the Red Cross. Local charity, run by local citizens... not federal employees of a big-brother government wiping someone's behind for them.

New Orleans could have chosen to do the same, but it's hard to take care of your neighbor when you're looting the local wal-mart for big-screen tvs.

And... I don't consider taking food, water, or immediate life-preserving necessities in an emergency to be "looting."
Charity and businesses were attempting to deliver aid to people. They were blocked by FEMA and the National Guard. FEMA and the National Guard are not blocking in California.

drednot
10-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I live in California and i can see the smoke. the reason is not because of Fema. There hasnt been 1 cent of aid sent by Fema yet, except for a few firefighters and planes....

And that's the critical point.

FEMA is not in charge, they are just providing resources, resources that could easily be provided by the private sector.

The only reason the private sector doesn't provide these resources is because FEMA drives all competition out of the market, just like the US Post Office does.

In New Orleans, FEMA insisted on being in charge, and we see how that worked out.

GeorgiaRPFan
10-24-2007, 04:12 PM
I saw a NY Times article today comparing the demographics implying FEMA does pretty weell when the neighboorhood is white and republican.

I watched Spike Lee's documentary about Katrina, and they made a big point of how civil things were in the dome. It turned out the rumor that people were acting like savages in the dome was started by a police officer who basically made all that up. There was footage from the dome showing people on good behavior.

I must say there is definitely a bias in the media regarding black vs. white. I think it was Chris Rock (correct me if I'm wrong) who "joked" about pretty white people going missing - makes the national news for days, but when the same thing happens to a black person, it might not even make the local news.

Just think about it. If the dome had been filled with middle class white people, the country would have bent over backwards to help them.

This rumor started by a single cop caused people, me included, to put away our wallets and say, well let them kill each other then.

After I saw the 4-hour documentary on Katrina, I was appalled at myself for believing what I heard on the news and not donating to a charity to help the Katrina survivors.

Beerhall Agitator
10-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Why is this national news? Does anyone outside of california care about a fire that killed two people? I was tired of this storty a week ago, now im about to barf.

freelance
10-24-2007, 04:21 PM
FEMA turned away private resources--again and again. For example, many doctors went down there on their own to offer their services and were turned back by "THE LAW!"

Primbs
10-25-2007, 02:24 AM
New Orleans was much worse. No food or clean water supplies. No transportation unless you like to swim in rancid water with dead people, animals, gasoline etc.

In San Diego you can walk to the stadium, cook fresh food, drink water etc.

You can go to the beach and hang out.

qsecofr
10-25-2007, 02:39 AM
I think it has more to do with mobility. In the fires we have advanced warning and can get in our cars and get the heck out. In Katrina you were stuck, you had to wait to be rescued and could not get to point A from B without a boat and some luck.

Same goes with donations and stuff, people drive to the big Q and drop things off and then drive home and watch the news, get a beer, and pray. Those evacuated can still enjoy the comforts of civilization if they want to as well.

I think a simple analogy would be getting lost in a forest with camping gear compared to being stuck in quick sand in your underwear. My 0.02 anyway.

qsecofr
10-25-2007, 02:46 AM
Why is this national news? Does anyone outside of california care about a fire that killed two people? I was tired of this storty a week ago, now im about to barf.

Well nearly 500,000 acres of land going poof and 1 million people evacuated might have something to do with it. Would you consider the entire population of Hawaii having to be moved around in the span of 3 days more newsworthy then say Britney Spears custody battle?

bunklocoempire
10-25-2007, 05:30 AM
The situations were/are what they are, everyone take a deep breath. First and foremost every one of us should be responsible for taking care of ourselves, our families and our neighbors and on up the chain, (communities, cities, states etc.). Remember freedom means responsibility.

What is missing is a national leader who can send this message back down the chain as well. Then act after those individual resources aren't working or are tapped out. All we ever hear from the Feds are monetary amounts and none if any personal/local respnsibility.

We must also take into account the "desperation factor" as well. Meaning asking ourselves who are the desperate people and how can we help them. Again "beating the individual responsibility drum". Desperation varies with the severity of the crisis and the capabilities of responsibility.

Be prepared, be responsible for yourselves and others directly, be free.

Wendi
10-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Since Electric Church doesn't believe the fire is a tragedy of equal magnitude to hurricane Katrina, I feel further discussion with him is fruitless.

kylejack
10-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Since Electric Church doesn't believe the fire is a tragedy of equal magnitude to hurricane Katrina, I feel further discussion with him is fruitless.
Equal how? Lives lost?

DJ RP
10-25-2007, 08:20 AM
It would seem to me that Katrina was a more devestating disaster in terms of lives lost and difficulty of the situation.

That's not to say the fires aren't bad guys, but if you weigh two things up to a criteria one is going to win (or lose?).

jmdrake
10-25-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm probably going to get flamed for saying it but...

Look at the pictures from the Superdome. Rioting, looting, trash everywhere, people screaming, running around, beating each other up, etc. etc. etc.

Look at the pictures from Qualcomm. People standing calmly in line. Holding bags (and babies) for one another. Entertainers spontaneously giving free shows for well-behaved children.

I think it has a lot to do with whether the people are more interested in helping themselves, or screaming about the fact that they didn't get enough handouts fast enough for their selfish taste.

And it has nothing to do with what color your skin is, what state you live in, or how much education you have. It has everything to do with whether or not you are capable of acting like a decent human being under horrible circumstances.

You didn't have people at Qualcomm stuck for several days without food or water. It's interesting that during Katrina Yahoo News had two pictures of people carrying food up at the same time. The black folks were labeled as "looters" and the white folks were labeled as "people scavaging for food." In New Orleans you had police looting Walmart, people being shot at by police for trying to LEAVE New Orleans, the government commandeering buses that people had PAID to get on in order to leave, the police stealing people cars ect. And a lot of this happened to middle class white people as well as to poor blacks. Then you had local police and federal goons running around confiscating peoples guns. Again this happened to middle class white folks who were at home minding their own business and TRYING to take care of themselves. It was the government response that was different. And the response was different because the neocons can't afford to loose California's electoral votes.

Regards,

John M. Drake

jmdrake
10-25-2007, 09:01 AM

You know the Red Cross is a U.N. agency right? Where I live local churches had secured housing units for Katrina refugees. But they were BARRED from posting the information at the local Red Cross. The Red Cross told them that because it is a "U.N. agency" it CANNOT be affiliated with churches. Of course that never stopped the Red Cross from coming to churches with hands out looking for donations. A lot of people in New Orleans DID try to take care of their neighbors. But the Walmart looting car stealing COPS got in the way!

Please read this article to learn what was REALLY going on!

http://www.wwltv.com/sharedcontent/nationworld/katrina/stories/090405cckatrinajrfrenchquarter.26851646.html

Regards,

John M. Drake

kylejack
10-25-2007, 09:04 AM
You know the Red Cross is a U.N. agency right? Where I live local churches had secured housing units for Katrina refugees. But they were BARRED from posting the information at the local Red Cross. The Red Cross told them that because it is a "U.N. agency" it CANNOT be affiliated with churches.
Can you provide a better citation?

jmdrake
10-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Can you provide a better citation?

I'm really going from personal experience here so I don't have a citation. I suppose I could put up a blog and cite myself. [;)] The best I can find is proof that the Red Cross has been granted "observer status" by the U.N.

http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/html/57JNWH

Regardless, look at all of the money the Red Cross diverted from 9/11 donations. It's also implicated in the tainted HIV blood scandal too.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/11/06/rec.charity.hearing/
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44529
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/21/1037697805212.html

The Red Cross has shown itself to be just as potentially corrupt an inefficient as any federal agency.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Wendi
10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
You know the Red Cross is a U.N. agency right? Where I live local churches had secured housing units for Katrina refugees. But they were BARRED from posting the information at the local Red Cross. The Red Cross told them that because it is a "U.N. agency" it CANNOT be affiliated with churches.

I'm not saying this didn't happen where you live, but I am confused because where I live (Houston), the vast majority of Red Cross shelters are set up in churches and primarily run by volunteers from that church. :confused:

jmdrake
10-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm not saying this didn't happen where you live, but I am confused because where I live (Houston), the vast majority of Red Cross shelters are set up in churches and primarily run by volunteers from that church. :confused:

Oh the Red Cross doesn't mind taking over (I mean "setting up in") your church. But try to put information from your church at your local Red Cross office and see what happens. And I will admit the possibility of what happened to us here in Nashville could have only been a local thing. But there's no denying the fact that the national organization misappropriated millions of 9/11 donations. Heck, I'm sure there are some good local people in FEMA too.

Regards,

John M. Drake