PDA

View Full Version : Key dates in U.S. presidential campaign - Pawlenty to announce PEC today

tangent4ronpaul
03-21-2011, 12:03 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/21/us-usa-campaign-dates-idUSTRE72K4JG20110321

Former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty is expected to take a formal step on Monday toward a run for the Republican U.S. presidential nomination in 2012 when he sets up an exploratory committee.

That would make Pawlenty the first high-profile Republican to show serious intent to enter the race in a bid to deny President Barack Obama a second four-year term.

An aide said Pawlenty, 50, planned to announce the step on his Facebook page on Monday afternoon.

Other challengers, who have been gauging their political support for months, could begin to jump into the Republican nominating race within weeks. The first debate among party hopefuls is scheduled for May 1.

The tentative schedule of nominating contests, which traditionally opens in Iowa and New Hampshire, could change depending on whether other states such as Florida follow through with plans to jump ahead in the calendar and hold early contests.

Officials in Iowa and New Hampshire have promised to adjust the dates of their contests if necessary to ensure they are first in the presidential nominating process.

Here is a look at some key dates in the presidential campaign calendar.

May 2 - The first scheduled Republican presidential debate, at Ronald Reagan library in California.

May 5 - A Republican debate in South Carolina, a key early state in the nominating process.

June 7 - A Republican debate in New Hampshire.

Aug 11 - A Republican debate in Iowa.

Aug 13 - The Iowa Republican straw poll, a key early gauge of candidate strength.

Sept 22-24 - Florida Republicans hold debate and a straw poll in Orlando.

Feb 6 - Iowa caucuses, first contest in presidential nominating race.

Feb 14 - New Hampshire primary.

Feb 28 - South Carolina primary.

Aug 27-30 - Republican convention, Tampa, Florida

Sept 3-6 - Democratic convention, Charlotte, North Carolina.

Nov 6 - Election Day

Matt Collins
03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
An aide said Pawlenty, 50, planned to announce the step on his Facebook page on Monday afternoon.
Who??

tangent4ronpaul
03-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty

http://www.conservative-alternative.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/tim_pawlenty.jpg

He's announcing at 3pm EST
http://www.facebook.com/timpawlenty?sk=app_186229864751823

tangent4ronpaul
03-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Interesting - 2 min video and he's using vimeo.com, not youtube.

Good things about him - he's a budget cutter.

bad things: "Pawlenty, an evangelical Christian, is also a committed social conservative."

-t

R3volutionJedi
03-21-2011, 01:42 PM
I didn't know he was an Evangelical Christian. That's a plus in my book. Although when he begins mixing too much with government it is not good.

tangent4ronpaul
03-21-2011, 01:44 PM
I didn't know he was an Evangelical Christian. That's a plus in my book. Although when he begins mixing too much with government it is not good.

Exactly my fears and why I think it's a bad thing...

muzzled dogg
03-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Might makes right