PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Governor Rick Snyder so far?

2young2vote
03-21-2011, 09:32 AM
I personally don't like what he is doing with setting up those Public Initiative offices, but he seems to be doing quite a bit that is good. He will vote for ending the pricing requirements. It sounds like he will be fixing the whole bridge card thing and making it much harder for students to get bridge cards. Ending the earned income tax credit.

Overall he isn't as good as I want, but better than expected.

What do you all think?

libertybrewcity
03-21-2011, 08:00 PM
wasn't he pushing for a bill that would give him power to shut down any local government in a fiscal emergency? I don't know. I think he is a bit power hungry..but I don't live there so I'm not that knowledgeable.

2young2vote
03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
It is true, he does seem a bit power hungry, or at least doesn't care if he goes beyond his place to get things done. According to this article, on the federal level, there isn't anything wrong with it.

http://www.slate.com/id/2288428/

But then on Monday he announced a plan that will basically reward cities for becoming more efficient financially.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110321/NEWS06/110321026/Gov-Rick-Snyder-local-governments-Cut-costs-lose-some-state-aid

I don't know. I doubt it can get much worse than it was.

pepperpete1
04-03-2011, 03:32 PM
At first read, I too, thought the EFM bills would have been too despotic and anything that would negate the voter's wishes must be unconstitutional. However, there is a list of criteria that a city or school needs to steer clear of to keep the Emergency Financial Manager out of their domain. If a school or town goes belly up it costs each of the rest of us down the road.
I am against government owning and managing a bridge when a private company aleady has started building the additional lane needed and I do not feel the Michigan Department of Transportation needs to be the authority over that bridge. There is a suggestion that an Authority be formed to oversee a private entity bidding on the job and the private company managing the bridge. This may be a possibility, but why involve government at all?? It always costs more in time and money to involve government.
I am trying to remain open minded about the govenor, giving him a chance to do what he said he could do.

VIDEODROME
04-29-2011, 02:56 PM
I've been hearing a lot of backlash against Snyder but most of what I hear seems reactionary. Like against spending cuts. Or of course the EFMs.

The big stink lately has been over Benton Harbor but from what I've heard that town has been a financial disaster for a long time with incompetent leadership.

eworthington
06-04-2011, 12:25 PM
He is doing better than I thought he would. I didn’t vote for him because I thought he was just another Rockefeller Republican, but I think the poster that said it couldn’t have gotten much worse is correct. Michigan was in terrible shape, and Gov. Snyder at least seems to be intent on making the state’s finances more predictable through completing budgets earlier and simplifying the business taxes.

The idea for a new bridge is a horrible idea; we are already having enough trouble paying for the infrastructure we have. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I am not too optimistic about him.

angelatc
06-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I held my nose and voted for him in the general, but it is Michigan. They're just not ready for a full blown conservative yet. The biggest criticism I hear from the right about him is that he taxed pensions.

THe bridge thing pisses me off. There's a private company that wants to build it and run it..no tax money required. THey've already got a bridge here, and their track record is excellent. There's no legitimate reason that the state needs to build the damned bridge. Let the private sector do it.