PDA

View Full Version : Damage Control - Ron Paul Cleanup

enjerth
10-24-2007, 12:12 PM
I was thinking about how we need to get out and do some damage control. Show the country that Ron Paul supporters aren't just quacks, but that we can be a force for good in society and that we stand for a guy who's going to clean up the place.

So I had an idea.

Take up your signs, put on your RP shirts and go clean up litter on the roadside and in the streets. People will notice and they will associate Ron Paul with cleaning up the garbage.

Ron Paul 2008
Time to Clean up

What do you think? There's no meetup group in my area and I'm having a hard time getting very many people seriously interested in supporting Ron Paul. But I would be out there in a heart beat on Sundays cleaning up the streets if there were just 2 other people with me.

TechnoGuyRob
10-24-2007, 12:16 PM
I love ideas from these forums. So brilliant.

I'm going to do this. :)

Brinck Slattery
10-24-2007, 12:17 PM
That's a great idea - right in line with the donate to food banks in a Ron Paul t-shirt, volunteer at a soup kitchen in a Ron Paul t-shirt, etc. Let people know that we don't need the government to take care of all these things.

goRPaul
10-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Excellent idea! Paint the Town Ron one weekend, Clean the Town Ron the next. I like that a lot.

garrettwombat
10-24-2007, 12:19 PM
i did this just yesterday, i had community service for a traffic ticket and they let me wear whatever i wanted so i just put on a big ron paul shirt and kept a sign tied to my back. a lot of people gave me a thumbs up... haha...

i wouldnt have done it if there was a community service truck nearby but it was a plain white truck and no one could tell.

Eli
10-24-2007, 12:23 PM
great idea!
I've also always been a big fan of the food drives meetup groups do. People should not be afraid of the media, support ron paul however you wish. No matter what you do they'll spin it in a bad way. Just as long as you get the word out you're doing a great job. All encouragement goes your way. Keep it up and above all have fun.

JoshLowry
10-24-2007, 12:30 PM
That's a great idea!

RockEnds
10-24-2007, 12:32 PM
That's a great idea. The event could even be posted on local bulletin boards and anyone could be invited to help. It could be any type of community service. Thanksgiving is just around the corner.

That's really a great idea.

steph3n
10-24-2007, 12:47 PM
This is perfect, show us as a force to show that we care about our country and wear some Ron Paul shirts too :D have a truck with a trailer to put garbage bags i an LOAD it up with ron paul signs!

Grandson of Liberty
10-24-2007, 12:48 PM
maybe some san diego members can throw on some t-shirts and help out at the stadium and shelters?

DaronWestbrooke
10-24-2007, 12:49 PM
I was thinking about how we need to get out and do some damage control. Show the country that Ron Paul supporters aren't just quacks, but that we can be a force for good in society and that we stand for a guy who's going to clean up the place.

Who is to decide who is and isn't a 'quack' and what is or isn't 'good for society'? Sounds more like now that the campaign has taken off and the rEVOLutionaries have done a lot of work, people are stepping in wanting to run this like a corporate, business as usual campaign.

I Call Shennagans (This isn't a comment specifically on your cleaning idea, but on how it seems the rEVOLutionaries are being marganilized)

c0unterph0bia
10-24-2007, 12:49 PM
This is one of two very good ideas I have heard. The first idea is the national wave your sign at an overpass day or whatever. -- You know, the one where they want all the meetup groups to have people wave signs at an overpass and reach 10 million Americans in just 2 hours.

These are both excellent ideas.

The media could not ignore the fact that all over the united states, signs are being waved above overpasses at the same time. In the same notion, the media could in no way ignore hundreds of thousands of people cleaning up trash with Ron Paul signs and merchandise on the same day. People would be calling the news agencies like crazy asking them what is going on.

katao
10-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Awesome idea.

We should make it an organized effort on the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday).

Just imagine, the day more people are out and about more than any other day of the year, seeing each and every Ron Paul supporter out cleaning up the streets and highways.

FluffyUnbound
10-24-2007, 12:56 PM
I think this is a good idea.

But there's only so much "damage control" you can do when the media is bound and determined to place all your actions in the worst possible light. If you got people together to pick up trash or feed homeless people in the park, I can guarantee you that some MSM type would report it this way:

"Ron Paul supporters today banded together for community activism and outreach - in the tradition of the Black Panthers and the followers of Jim Jones..."

But maybe I'm too cynical.

lucius
10-24-2007, 12:56 PM
This is a great idea!

I have had success fixing elderly people's computers in their homes. I get to talk to them for about an hour, pass out dvds and for payment I put a Dr. Paul sign in their yard--word is spreading, I am having fun, mostly just cleaning up viruses and spyware. I enjoy volunteering, that helpful guy in the Ron Paul t-shirt.

enjerth
10-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Awesome idea.

We should make it an organized effort on the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday).

Just imagine, the day more people are out and about more than any other day of the year, seeing each and every Ron Paul supporter out cleaning up the streets and highways.

Excellent idea.

Ron Paul cleans up on black Friday.

enjerth
10-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I think this is a good idea.

But there's only so much "damage control" you can do when the media is bound and determined to place all your actions in the worst possible light. If you got people together to pick up trash or feed homeless people in the park, I can guarantee you that some MSM type would report it this way:

"Ron Paul supporters today banded together for community activism and outreach - in the tradition of the Black Panthers and the followers of Jim Jones..."

But maybe I'm too cynical.

It won't matter WHAT the media says about you when the PEOPLE see you, waving RP signs and picking up trash with a smile. :)

katao
10-24-2007, 01:06 PM
This is a great idea!

I have had success fixing elderly people's computers in their homes. I get to talk to them for about an hour, pass out dvds and for payment I put a Dr. Paul sign in their yard--word is spreading, I am having fun, mostly just cleaning up viruses and spyware. I enjoy volunteering, that helpful guy in the Ron Paul t-shirt.

lucius, you've hit on another superb idea! The target demographic we need help with more than any other is the elderly - and volunteering to help them is both a noble cause and a means to have a bit of positive influence. They are typically active voters, and often have the means to help out the campaign financially when they become supporters.

That might make a cool pledge to include on ronpaulgraphs, something like - I will donate 50 hours of service volunteering to help the elderly and helping them to see the hope that Ron Paul brings to America, if 100 other people also do.

cac1963
10-24-2007, 01:09 PM

So I had an idea.

Take up your signs, put on your RP shirts and go clean up litter on the roadside and in the streets. People will notice and they will associate Ron Paul with cleaning up the garbage.

Ron Paul 2008
Time to Clean up

What do you think? There's no meetup group in my area and I'm having a hard time getting very many people seriously interested in supporting Ron Paul. But I would be out there in a heart beat on Sundays cleaning up the streets if there were just 2 other people with me.

I think it's a good idea too. In fact when Kelly Halldorson from NH suggested something similar to this for labor day weekend I got behind it completely but was quickly put in my place by the meetup organizer who defiantly proclaimed she was too good to pick up trash on the side of the road. Taking her majesty to task over it got me kicked out of the meetup.

katao
Excellent idea.

Ron Paul cleans up on black Friday.

Anybody have the skills to create a decent web site (similar to the Nov. 5th and 11th sites) where everyone can sign up to do it? Seeing other people signing up would serve as a big motivation. It also also allows emails to be sent out reminding them to do it. A YouTube video would also be cool for promotional purposes.

alexlcameron
I think it is a great idea! thanks

Mortikhi
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM

So I had an idea.

Ron Paul 2008
Time to Clean up

Hell I thought you were about to say people in California should don their RP shirts and help with the cleanup from the aftermath of the fire...but this will work, too.

steph3n
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
I think it's a good idea too. In fact when Kelly Halldorson from NH suggested something similar to this for labor day weekend I got behind it completely but was quickly put in my place by the meetup organizer who defiantly proclaimed she was too good to pick up trash on the side of the road. Taking her majesty to task over it got me kicked out of the meetup.

grr :( anyway, PICK up a bag and get to work!

enjerth
10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Who is to decide who is and isn't a 'quack' and what is or isn't 'good for society'? Sounds more like now that the campaign has taken off and the rEVOLutionaries have done a lot of work, people are stepping in wanting to run this like a corporate, business as usual campaign.

I Call Shennagans (This isn't a comment specifically on your cleaning idea, but on how it seems the rEVOLutionaries are being marganilized)

The battle is in the minds of the people we're trying to win. The press is calling Ron Paul and his supporters loons. This is about "damage control", which is to stop or reverse the thinking in the minds of the mob when they begin to think that Ron Paul supporters are crazy or just plain obnoxious. Since only the unusual gets public attention we need to do something unusual.

I really like the idea of making it a national day, like November 5th. I think it'll knock the socks off of people even more than $1 million in one day if on Black Friday, the Paulites come out by the thousands and are seen by everyone, smiling and cleaning up the streets.

Geronimo
10-24-2007, 06:44 PM

So I had an idea.

I'm already doing something like this. I'm retrieving once planted Ron Paul signs from out of the roadside woods and planting them back where they were originally planted. (coated with a nice thick film of vasseline)

tarsus
10-24-2007, 06:57 PM
maybe some san diego members can throw on some t-shirts and help out at the stadium and shelters?

I suggested this at the San Diego meetup group, but no one responded. =(

stevedasbach
10-24-2007, 06:59 PM

I haven't seen ANYONE expressing concern about rEVOLutionaries. The concern has been over a minority of supporters who are very obnoxious in how they express their support of Dr. Paul and end up convincing average Americans that Paul and his supporters are crazy wackos. Screaming in people's faces, calling them fascists or sheeple, etc. is counterproductive.