PDA

View Full Version : Can / Should Khadaffi stay in power?

lester1/2jr
03-20-2011, 05:15 PM
I guess this is a two angled sort of question

1. do YOU care if Khadaffi stays in power? and

2. Does Obama care? and

okay actually 3

3. Do other powerful people care?

I'd say the answer is 1. no 2. no and 3. yes

I really don't think Obama has any feelings about regime change in Libya. I think he has stayed out of the revolutions and the results have been pretty good and that he has largely threaded the needle with our heavily coalitioned involvment here.

Removing Khaddafi is beside the point but on FOX and in the capitols I think that is the point. Hillary Rodham Clinton and John Bolton will not be able to sleep if he stays in power and they will make us pay for it.

Koz
03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
I personally don't care if he stays in power, it's none of our damn business.

Expatriate
03-20-2011, 06:55 PM
It bothers me that any tyrants are in power, not that I have the resources to do anything about it. But using stolen money (taxes) to attack them on the behalf of people (Americans) who may not want their name associated with such actions bothers me just as much.

Echoes
03-20-2011, 07:11 PM
All tyrants are bad including our own Gov't. We dont have to look overseas, its at our doorstep.

BenIsForRon
03-20-2011, 07:24 PM
I hope Gaddafi is removed from power.

I think now that Obama has made a commitment to the conflict, he wants to see Gaddafi ousted as fast as possible. Not because he hates tyrants, but because he doesn't want to be bogged down in Libya while he's trying to keep Afghanistan and Pakistan occupations going strong.

European leaders care especially, because they may or may not lose control of one of their big sources of oil. They want him gone as well, simply because they want peace as soon as possible there in order to get the oil flowing again.

anaconda
03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Yes he should stay in power or at least it should be sorted out internally..

He puts more oil money into infrastructure than any other oil Arab oil state, from what I understand. Their economy is growing rapidly. The CFR types don't want him forming an alliance with the Russians. Our country has been hijacked by mobsters and they are putting the squeeze on a country that is zero threat to us.

acptulsa
03-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Yes he should stay in power or at least it should be sorted out internally..

He puts more oil money into infrastructure than any other oil Arab oil state, from what I understand. Their economy is growing rapidly. The CFR types don't want him forming an alliance with the Russians. Our country has been hijacked by mobsters and they are putting the squeeze on a country that is zero threat to us.

Yes, but those who remember Lockabee would disagree nonetheless. And the problem with letting them sort it out internally is, who sold them those jets? Some superpower seems to have already wrecked the balance.

So, the discussion will be complicated. But in the end, I think we just stuck another appendage in the Tar Baby. And I think that will be the bottom line. We're not getting out of this easy. And refusing to put boots on the ground may just prolong it.

pcosmar
03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
It is up to the people of Libya.

Personally, I hope they drag him into the street and stomp him to mush.

Then hang their bloody shoes up in their homes as a warning to the next one.

Stary Hickory
03-20-2011, 09:47 PM
I'd rather the scumbag get what every dictator deserves a knife between the ribs. But I don't want anyone forced into supporting or being a part of it. I don't even want to get involved myself. Khadaffi is a pos, that is for sure, but we still have no business getting involved. There are a lot of dirt bag leaders that need to be taken "care" of, but I don't support us doing it, or anyone being forced into supporting it.

Live_Free_Or_Die
03-20-2011, 10:02 PM
If you knew the U.S. was going to intervene.... would you fight?

South Park Fan
03-20-2011, 10:54 PM
I had been hoping for the last month that the Libyans would be able to finish him off before the West get involved, or at least declare a stalemate so that Cyrenaica would be de facto independent. Alas, it seems that neither of those options will come to fruition, and Libya will have a U.S.-supported dictator in power at best, or Gaddafi at worst.

lester1/2jr
03-21-2011, 10:20 AM
the guy seems to hava fair amount of support

Philhelm
03-21-2011, 10:40 AM
I had been hoping for the last month that the Libyans would be able to finish him off before the West get involved, or at least declare a stalemate so that Cyrenaica would be de facto independent. Alas, it seems that neither of those options will come to fruition, and Libya will have a U.S.-supported dictator in power at best, or Gaddafi at worst.

Or even worse: Libya will have Gaddafi at best, or a U.S. supported dictator in power at worst.

civusamericanus
03-21-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm not a fan of Gaddafi and our government shouldn't get involved in other nations civil wars, but what do we really know about him besides what our MSM has told us?

I WASTED a couple hours this weekend watching videos about Gaddafi. watched several subtitled speeches he gave to the Arab League and I must say he spoke like a pretty civil person. He talked about how the Arab countries should form a stronger alliance and show the world how Muslim countries can be peaceful. He talked about joint effort projects on peaceful nuclear energy. He also talked about how his relationship with the United States had improved significantly, and how happy he was to move forward. Keep in mind this was a 45+ minute speech to the Arab League last summer.

Gaddafi claims that outsiders from other countries or al-qaeda, are at the root of the uprising in Libya. Russia has evidence that no missiles were fired, according to their space satelites, and MSM only shows 20-50 rebels shooting guns in the air when they want to say their is a huge uprising.

Something smells real foul... Gaddafi, may be a bad man, but even if he changed his ways, if he isn't going along with being a controlled puppet, the powers that be, will make him gone.

IMO I have a theory, which is Gaddafi, has been talking to other Arab countries and trying to convince them to form a Union which can withstand pressures from outside interest. Just imagine if all the Arab leaders joined together and forced the US Militray out of their section of the world.

Xavi1990
03-21-2011, 11:10 AM
If he goes, then China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Palestine and others must also be given a chance for freedom.

INVADE THE WORLD! And we're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here.

Southron
03-21-2011, 11:16 AM
I have no interest in Libya at all. Let Libyans pay for their own revolution.

Pericles
03-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Can he stay in power? Yes

Should he stay in power? No

Will he stay in power? Absent ground invasion - Yes.

Besides the stupidity of intervening for any reason other than in response to attack, we end up taking sides in various disputes, and the other side won't forget or forgive that.

lester1/2jr
03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
It seems like the peopel tried to have a revolution like they had in tunisia and egypt and it didn't work out. I seriously doubt we can do anythign to change that.