PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Rep Poe about Politicizing Death

ChrisDiamond
03-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Mr. Poe,

My name is Christopher Diamond and I am an active duty Air Force Technical Sergeant with the 324th Intelligence Squadron out of Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Hawaii. I have served my country honorably for almost 17 years.

I recently watched debate in Congress on C-Span concerning Congressman Kucinich's proposal to end the war in Afghanistan by 31 Dec 2011. I watched you invoke the memory of the husband of my good friend and colleague, Danielle Wells. Specifically, you invoked the memory of Army SSG Mark Wells; KIA 5 March 2011 in Afghanistan.

Sir, I am outraged that you politicized the death of Army SSG Mark Wells to support and justify continued war and aggression in Afghanistan. I have it on good authority that SSG Wells was against the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but that he did his duty as he swore to do. I get this information from his wife, Danielle Wells.

As opposed to remarking how ending the war in Afghanistan would prevent some other 2 year old boy and unborn child from losing a father, you chose to opine that ending the wars would somehow dishonor Mark's sacrifice. You war mongers in Congress preach about the necessity to 'see it through' when we never achieved our original objective to begin with. Al qaeda isn't even there anymore, yet we remain entrenched in battle against the Taliban. You use the media to try and promote fear that somehow the Taliban is able and simply waiting for their opportunity to come kill us all or put us under Sharia law. What nonsense.

You went to war with a muddled objective and no exit strategy. You have put our American soldiers at risk for almost 9 years in Afghanistan, and we have been complicit through accident or purpose in the killing of thousands of Afghani civilians. This engenders hatred towards us and WEAKENS our national security. It seems to not matter that we're wasting nearly $2 billion a week over there fighting a war that no longer has a clear objective or exit strategy... and what for? What is gained? I know what is lost, but I do not know or understand that loss as deeply as Danielle Wells does. Their son Finn is only 2 years old, and now will never know his father because of this war. How many more children HERE have to suffer the same fate?

I demand that you retract your statements regarding Mark and quit invoking his memory and his family to garner political support for the very war that took him away from us. I will forward this email to Congressman Kucinich and Congressman Paul, and hope that you are brought to task regarding your careless invocation of a dead man's memory to support further killing.

Shame on you, Congressman Poe.

Very Sincerely,

Christopher M. Diamond, TSgt, USAF
324th Intelligence Squadron
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Hawaii

bunklocoempire
03-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Nicely done, good on you.

Also, will spread the word on your meet-up group, pleasure to have you on these forums.

Aloha from the Big Island, Bunkloco

ChrisDiamond
03-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Thank you very much. I forwarded this same email to Congressmen Paul and Kucinich and expressed that I hoped they would call Poe to task for his remarks.