PDA

View Full Version : NC Anti-RealID bill on verge of filing.

GunnyFreedom
03-18-2011, 11:22 AM
All I have to do is "pull the trigger" and tell drafting to send to clerk for filing. I want to copy the language here to get your thoughts and input before filing:

GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA SESSION 2011
HD BILL DRAFT 2011-LB-287A [v.1] (3/18)
Short Title:
Sponsors:
Referred to:
Prevent REAL ID Implementation.
Representative Bradley.
(Public)

(THIS IS A DRAFT AND IS NOT READY FOR INTRODUCTION) 3/18/2011 12:49:40 PM

AN ACT AN ACT TO PREVENT THE ADOPTION OF THE FEDERAL REAL ID ACT IN NORTH CAROLINA.

The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:

SECTION 1. Chapter 20 of the General Statutes is amended by adding a new section to read:

"§ 20-6.1. Compliance with the REAL ID Act of 2005.

(a) The General Assembly determines that the Congress of the United States has issued an unfunded mandate for the production and clearance of the State's drivers licenses with the passage of Title II of P.L. 109-13, the REAL ID Act of 2005, and compliance with the provisions of the REAL ID Act of 2005 will result in a fiscal cost that the State cannot afford. The General Assembly hereby declares that no State agency shall comply with the requirements of the REAL ID Act of 2005.

(b) The Division of Motor Vehicles is prohibited from:

(1) Using Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology or microchips on drivers licenses in any form.

(2) Amending any procedures for applying for a drivers license or identification card in order to comply with the standards of the Real ID Act of 2005.

(3) Expanding motor vehicle records data it shares with other states, the federal government, or other agencies or providing data to any additional states or state or federal agency unless authorized by statute;

(4) Collecting, obtaining, or retaining any data in connection with activities related to compliance with the Real ID Act of 2005. Any biometric data previously collected, obtained, or retained in connection with motor vehicle registration or operation or the issuance or renewal of drivers licenses or identification cards by any State department or agency must be retrieved and deleted from all databases. For purposes of this section, "biometric data" includes, but is not limited to:

a. Facial feature pattern characteristics.

b. Voice data used for comparing live speech with a previously created speech model of a person's voice.

c. Iris recognition data containing color or texture patterns or codes.

d. Retinal scans, reading through the pupil to measure blood vessels lining the retina.
(c) The State of North Carolina shall take all reasonable measures to ensure the privacy of its citizens and shall not sell, rent or lease for commercial purposes data collected the administration of drivers licenses.

(d) The DMV shall not store copies of breeder documents, such as birth certificates or social security numbers in either a database or hard paper copies. Social Security numbers may be used to validate the legal presence of an applicant for a drivers license or nonoperator identification card if an applicant has no other means of proving identity.

(e) The image taken of the applicant or identification card shall not be stored in any database other than for the purpose of issuing replacement licenses or licenses issued due to change of address within the State."
SECTION 2. This act becomes effective May 1, 2011.

Feeding the Abscess
03-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Solid.

GunnyFreedom
03-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks FtA! I do like it how it is, I'm hoping this time we can get any tweaks done BEFORE filing on this one as it's a bill that will have more Dem support than Rep.

GunnyFreedom
03-18-2011, 12:38 PM
bump

GunnyFreedom
03-19-2011, 11:18 AM
If there are no suggestions on how to tweak the language of the RealID bill to make it better, I'll go ahead and file on Monday as-is...

Chester Copperpot
03-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Gunny just in case youre not aware.. The feds try to rename the "Real ID" so its called something else.. IS there a way you can make sure the verbage of your bill protects against that in case of such a scenario?

Ive seen some states that have but other that have not.. So just wanted to make sure you didnt forget that eventuality.

GunnyFreedom
03-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Hmm.

"....the Real ID Act of 2005 or other acts similar in nature and scope..." ?

sratiug
03-19-2011, 11:52 AM
(c) The State of North Carolina shall take all reasonable measures to ensure the privacy of its citizens and shall not sell, rent or lease for commercial purposes data collected the administration of drivers licenses.

Seems to be missing something...

GunnyFreedom
03-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Seems to be missing something...

hmm..

"(c) The State of North Carolina shall take all reasonable measures to ensure the privacy of its citizens and shall not sell, rent or lease for commercial purposes data collected for the administration of drivers licenses."

?

AdamT
03-19-2011, 12:03 PM
+ Rep for Gunny, just because.

olehounddog
03-19-2011, 12:05 PM
What are the odds of the voter photo ID deal going thru? Just read about it in the local rag. My rep is co-sponsoring.

Sola_Fide
03-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Impressive Glen!

Mach
03-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Bump

GunnyFreedom
03-19-2011, 10:48 PM
What are the odds of the voter photo ID deal going thru? Just read about it in the local rag. My rep is co-sponsoring.

I have no doubt it will go through. The GOP County conventions are happening now, and the vote will happen during/after. It's an issue that GOP activists are hot-passionate about, so whatever outrage comes out of the left, it will almost certainly pass. Can't promise it won't get vetoed though.

muzzled dogg
03-19-2011, 11:02 PM
man gunny u are my hero