PDA

View Full Version : House Committee Ok's end to Anti-gay Aid

amy31416
03-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Barney Frank, not surprisingly, introduced the amendment.

House Committee OKs End to Antigay Aid
Published March 15, 2011
repost from The Advocate | by Michelle Garcia

The House Financial Services Committee passed an amendment Tuesday that would discourage giving aid to countries that persecute their citizens because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

According to a statement from Rep. Barney Frank (pictured), who introduced the amendment to the committee, the bill passed with nearly unanimous support. The amendment will be added to a House Financial Services Committee bill that outlines budget priorities for issues under the committee’s jurisdiction. According to Frank’s office, the Financial Services Committee’s overwhelming support for his amendment may lead to support in the Budget Committee and the full House.

More at link:

http://globalequality.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/house-committee-oks-end-to-antigay-aid/

So, yeah, it's always a good thing to end foreign aid, but I'd be in a conundrum here because I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning behind targeting specific countries. Ultimately, I think I'd vote for it because it's a start, but would prefer that we end foreign aid due to it being unconstitutional, unethical, used for nefarious purposes, etc...but I'm willing to wager that that's just not enough reasoning for the majority of our Congress to support it.

So, what would you do? Support the amendment or not?

specsaregood
03-18-2011, 06:54 AM
So, what would you do? Support the amendment or not?
I'd support it just because I'd support anything that lessens foreign aid.

With that said, would DADT count as "persecute their citizens because of their sexual orientation or gender identity."?

dean.engelhardt
03-18-2011, 07:00 AM
Cut all "forced" foreign aid. Making this a gay thing is ridiculous. If indiviuals want to support or ignore governments based on bias towards gays, let them do it with their own checking account.