PDA

View Full Version : American Conservative Magazine editor Daniel McCarthy on the intervention in Libya tonight

Cowlesy
03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Must have had this one ready to go! Great article from a traditional conservative.

http://www.amconmag.com/blog/2011/03/17/the-raj-strikes-back/

The Raj Strikes Back

Daniel McCarthy March 17th, 2011

The UN has authorized intervention in Libya—which in practice is going to mean an American-led war. We’re not only talking about a no-fly zone but bombing as well, and “advisers” on top of that. This might be a good time to start a betting pool on when the ground war officially begins. Tomorrow we’ll have an essay by Gary Brecher—the War Nerd—exposing the folly of ostensibly small wars such as this. (The essay comes from our new issue, which went to press last week, but Brecher nails exactly what is happening now.)

Let me make a few impolitic observations at the outset. First, a number of the usual interventionist suspects—here’s looking at you, National Review—held off as long as they thought the anti-Gaddaffi insurgents had a prayer of surviving, even winning. Why was that assumption wrong? Because it turns out Gaddafi has more support in Libya than anyone in the West was willing to believe. The insurgency could have and should have toppled him, if rosy estimates of Libyan solidarity against the dictator were true. But no.
What this means for Western intervention is that we won’t be liberating a country from a universally despised dictator, we will be taking sides in a civil war. Indeed, a civil war in which Gaddaffi is not only the strongest force but quite possibly the most popular one. Nobody wants to believe that, but Gaddafi has not held onto power and so easily rolled up his opposition simply because he has shipped in sub-Saharan mercenaries.

Second, large-scale Western intervention will destroy the fragile Middle East revolution, and the Arab street will long remember this. The West is not talking about intervening against Bahrain, after all, to bail out protesters there. But it’s not just Western selectivity that’s at issue—anyone can see that Gaddafi is far worse than the Bahranis or Yemen’s Saleh. Rather, Western intervention, even if successful, will preclude certain outcomes in Libya. In Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood and other more or less intensely religious forces can vie for power with other protesters (as well as with the still-in-place military establishment, of course). Egypt gets a choice in its destiny. Will Libya under UN/NATO/U.S. peacekeepers? By limiting Libyan options, should Gaddafi fall, to possibilities that are comfortable to the West, our interventionists will discredit whatever pro-Western (or at least, non-anti-Western) revolutionaries there are and enrage the Islamists. The only people who will wind up reassured are the kleptocratic rulers of the Arab world. In effect, what Eric Margolis describes as the American Raj is taking an action that will allow clients like the Saudis to survive, while unruly protesters in Bahrain are stamped out and Libyans are told they may only choose a Karzai — or a Mubarak? — to succeed Gaddafi.

You can read his conclusion at the link here (http://www.amconmag.com/blog/2011/03/17/the-raj-strikes-back/)

Cowlesy
03-17-2011, 09:48 PM
//

Southron
03-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Interesting article. What is it with us and overthrowing secular dictators in the middle-east and North Africa? Do we want these countries dominated by Islamic governments so we have future terrorists to fight?

Cowlesy
03-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Interesting article. What is it with us and overthrowing secular dictators in the middle-east? Do we want these countries dominated by Islamic governments so we have future terrorists to fight?

How will the arab street look at this. "Americans will help Libyan rebels, but the Bahrainis, nah."

Cowlesy
03-20-2011, 03:08 PM
//

juleswin
03-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Interesting article. What is it with us and overthrowing secular dictators in the middle-east and North Africa? Do we want these countries dominated by Islamic governments so we have future terrorists to fight?

What an ignorant statement to make. I am sure in your empty head, you really believe that the reason why we have muslim terrorism is because of their religion and not because of our interference and meddling in the middle east.

I have to say that I die a little bit inside when I see this type of post on RPM. What hope do we have when people in the movement still do not understand blowback

Anti Federalist
03-20-2011, 04:16 PM
What an ignorant statement to make. I am sure in your empty head, you really believe that the reason why we have muslim terrorism is because of their religion and not because of our interference and meddling in the middle east.

I have to say that I die a little bit inside when I see this type of post on RPM. What hope do we have when people in the movement still do not understand blowback

WTF is that?

Fucks sake, if you disagree with the man, just say so.

No need for all the personal insults.

Not to mention he is partially correct.

The fact is that an Islamic government opens itself to immediate western intervention, thus assuring, "Muslim terrorism".

juleswin
03-20-2011, 04:37 PM
The fact is that an Islamic government opens itself to immediate western intervention, thus assuring, "Muslim terrorism".

Sometimes you just need to call a spade a spade and anyone who has thousands of posts on RON F**ING PAUL (a man who made his mark arguing for the blow back theory) forum cannot claim ignorance on blowback. He should know what it is and should know its the cause of terrorism and not their religion. How else can one explain why the most populous Islamic nation in the middle east and Asian (who have virtually been left alone) are far from being the top terrorist nations in the world. I have just had it with the islamophobic rants from him

Also wtf do you mean by the quote highlighted? please use real world examples cos it makes absolutely no sense to me

lester1/2jr
03-20-2011, 04:44 PM
no it was a fair statement. obviously blowback is real but in a general way it doesn't serve our interests to have islamic rather than secular leaders in power. both right

juleswin
03-20-2011, 04:52 PM
no it was a fair statement. obviously blowback is real but in a general way it doesn't serve our interests to have islamic rather than secular leaders in power. both right

But how about the interest of the people living in said country? what if they really want an Islamic govt? with sharia law and stuff. Why is it any of our business to determine whats good for them? Indonesia sharia law and yet they are a stable and prosperous nation who trades and have diplomatic relations with us. My point is that it has very little if nothing to do with their religious beliefs and alot to do with our interference in their daily lives.

Lets try and stay and out their business and see how many of them still try to attack us.

specsaregood
03-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I have to say that I die a little bit inside when I see this type of post on RPM.

What is an RPM is this context?

juleswin
03-20-2011, 04:55 PM
What is an RPM is this context?

I meant to say RPF as in Ron Paul forum