PDA

View Full Version : Five air forces set to attack Libya [US, UK, France, UAE, Qatar]

RonPaulFanInGA
03-17-2011, 01:21 PM
http://debka.com/article/20772/

Shortly before the UN Security Council met Thursday, March 17, to discuss a no-fly zone resolution for Libya, Moscow promised Washington and other Western capitals not to apply a veto, debkafile's sources report exclusively. The US, British, French, UAE and Qatar air forces were on standby to attack Libyan army targets as soon as the resolution is passed. If attacked, Libya threatens retaliation against civilian and military targets in Europe and the Middle East, according to a statement from the Defense Ministry in Tripoli.

JohnEngland
03-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Bombs away!

http://www.warchat.org/pictures/gulf_war_bombing.jpg

2young2vote
03-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I wonder what their excuse is going to be this time. Save the people?

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 02:13 PM
shit.

Clinton told Tantawi she hoped for UN Security Council approval of the no-fly zone at its special session Thursday March 17. But this might not be enough to stop Muammar Qaddafi's advance and the US might have to resort to military action against his army. She did not elaborate on this.

Cowlesy
03-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Europe better prepare for a refugee invasion. Libya better prepare for mass casualties.

Fox McCloud
03-17-2011, 02:16 PM
And here I had hope that Afghanistan and Iraq would be our last military misadventure for a while. :T

ClayTrainor
03-17-2011, 02:18 PM
So... what's the plan?

Take out the government leaders, and replace them with US puppets?

Jack Bauer
03-17-2011, 02:20 PM
That should remove all anti-war cred Obama has.

If "liberals" still think that he's anti-war then FSM save those poor souls.

wizardwatson
03-17-2011, 02:23 PM
shit.

Clinton told Tantawi she hoped for UN Security Council approval of the no-fly zone at its special session Thursday March 17. But this might not be enough to stop Muammar Qaddafi's advance and the US might have to resort to military action against his army. She did not elaborate on this.

Yeah, things are imminent now. They already have plans drawn up and ships planes ready. i linked this article in a thread I started on same topic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/17/libya-no-fly-zone-united-nations

They are just waiting for a vote and say they can start assault within hours.

awake
03-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Phraseology; 'We must save the corporatist oils interests' will become 'the people are being slaughtered by a brutal madman', 'therefor we must bomb the madman and his evil henchmen and bring liberty to the oppressed'.

All BS aside, they will kill innocent people in the thousands - a veritable man made tsunami that is completely preventable.

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Why is this the US's job, again? Or the UN's?

wizardwatson
03-17-2011, 02:30 PM

Wag the dog, man. Wag the dog.

Here we go again.

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Wag the dog, man. Wag the dog.

Here we go again.

We're still wagging the last two dogs.

wizardwatson
03-17-2011, 02:35 PM
We're still wagging the last two dogs.

What gets me is the timing of this vote. Military advisors said now a no-fly zone wouldn't be feasible, we'd need more of a commitment now. So if geo-political special interests are behind this, it makes sense to wait until qaddafi has gathered all his forces and deployed them. Anyway, weird, it's like they wanted to wait, in order to justify the most action possible.

Ultimately I think they plan to kill Qadaffi and his son, but only speculating.

specsaregood
03-17-2011, 02:49 PM
So... what's the plan?
Take out the government leaders, and replace them with US puppets?

You'd have a great future in government, perhaps you should alter your career plans. :)

pcosmar
03-17-2011, 02:58 PM

The US is and has been the UN's enforcement arm.

wizardwatson
03-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Yep, action is imminent unless China veto's, as Russia already said it wouldn't veto. Vote expected 6pm eastern time, so war is likely to be the news item tonight.

Here's the article saying when the vote is:

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/what-will-happen-if-us-attacks-qaddafi-libya-obama

Look out Libya, here we come. I hope you lubed up.

LibertyEagle
03-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I feel sick.

ihsv
03-17-2011, 03:23 PM
shit.

+1

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Yep, action is imminent unless China veto's, as Russia already said it wouldn't veto. Vote expected 6pm eastern time, so war is likely to be the news item tonight.

Here's the article saying when the vote is:

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/what-will-happen-if-us-attacks-qaddafi-libya-obama

Look out Libya, here we come. I hope you lubed up.

Veto, Veto, Veto.....

wizardwatson
03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Council diplomats said that the measures were expected to be pass by a vote of 10 to 0 in the 15-nation council, with five council members -- Brazil, India, China, Germany and Russia -- expected to abstain. Here (http://foreignpolicy.com/files/fp_uploaded_documents/110317_UNSC%20Libya%20resolution%20final.pdf) is a copy of the entire draft text.

source article here (http://turtlebay.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/03/17/security_council_to_pass_resolution_authorizing_mi litary_intervention_in_libya)

Looks like they already got the votes, just waiting for official vote.

Isn't it great how membership in the UN trumps Congressional/Constitutional declaration of wars.

America! Fuck Yeah!

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah, this is pathetic that I'm callng on CHINA TO VETO to protect OUR Constitution!

Where is our declaration of war??

Because THIS time, I don't think he'd get one!

RonPaulFanInGA
03-17-2011, 03:30 PM
http://twitter.com/PlaceLuxEU/status/48479468033019904

BBC World reports that first air strikes would be by UK and French forces - no US involvement #Libya

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Cool.

So we'll be SECOND air strikes....

Not to mention the 'army' Hillary mentioned....

...and the US might have to resort to military action against his army. She did not elaborate on this.

wizardwatson
03-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Cool.

So we'll be SECOND air strikes....

Not to mention the 'army' Hillary mentioned....

I'm sure they'll be ground deployments to some degree to train/advise the rebels. They probably already have the attack plan in place, and probably already have intelligence in Benghazi.

Lucille
03-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Neocon hard-ons all around.

wizardwatson
03-17-2011, 03:45 PM
And we come to the center of the shrubbery maze...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-17/qaddafi-advance-poses-eni-expulsion-risk-from-libyan-oil-fields.html

Muammar Qaddafi may expel western energy companies from Libya should he snuff out the month-old armed rebellion against his regime, draining money from the economy and hurting exporters such as Eni SpA (ENI) and Repsol YPF SA. (REP)

Qaddafi, 68, took control of Ras Lanuf and Brega oil facilities

Qaddafi threatened to replace western oil firms with companies from India and China in a March 2 speech and more than 10 days later discussed possible investments with the ambassadors of the two countries and Russia, state-run television reported.

Not that any of this matters. The state just does what the fuck it wants.

And check this out, our country is so fucked the voice of reason is coming from China...

from article...

United Nations Security Council veto-wielding members China and Russia have been less critical of Qaddafi than France and the U.S., whose leaders openly called on the Libyan leader to go. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu told reporters today that “the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Libya should be respected.”

WyoLiberty
03-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Aww, hell.

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm sure they'll be ground deployments to some degree to train/advise the rebels. They probably already have the attack plan in place, and probably already have intelligence in Benghazi.

That's how Vietnam started if I recall my history correctly. Have we ever left once we sent advisors somewhere?

specsaregood
03-17-2011, 04:18 PM
you gotta feed the monkey MIC.

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Rand Paul opposes military action in Libya.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/2chambers/post/rand_paul_opposes_us_military_involvement_in_libya/2011/03/17/ABkw6jl_blog.html?wprss=2chambers

Not that WE weren't aware of that, but WaPo apparently just got the memo.

TrueFreedom
03-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Resolution passed unanimously. Welcome to the 3rd War.

teacherone
03-17-2011, 04:40 PM
6.33pm ET: (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/17/libya-united-nations-air-strikes-live#block-6)Here's the result: 10 in favour, zero against, five abstentions. So the vote went exactly as predicted. "The resolution 1973/2011 is adopted.," says the chairman.

teacherone
03-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Officials say US readying for no fly Zone in Libya
(AP) – 26 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congressional officials say the Obama administration is readying plans to participate in a no-fly zone in Libya with the help of Arab countries in anticipation of a United Nations Security Council resolution.

These officials said Thursday they expected the effort to enforce a no-fly zone and ground Moammar Gadhafi's air force could begin within a few days if the UN takes action by day's end.

They spoke after a briefing for members of the Senate.

One official said Jordan, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates were among possible participants, in a showing designed to demonstrate that the effort to aid anti-Gadhafi rebels had support from other countries in the region.

These officials spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to speak publicly on the issue.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hai_LDJ3haCfqrI_RQnRsch_ZJyQ?docId=172888461 29044d9a0983d74a9788044

1000-points-of-fright
03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
UN approves "no fly zone and all necessary measures". All necessary measures in order to do what? Sounds to me that this is more than just crippling the government's air power in order to even the fight and to prevent a slaughter. This sounds like the UN is leaving the door open for simply taking out Qaddafi.

raiha
03-17-2011, 04:50 PM
UN approves "no fly zone and all necessary measures". All necessary measures in order to do what? Sounds to me that this is more than just crippling the government's air power in order to even the fight and to prevent a slaughter. This sounds like the UN is leaving the door open for simply taking out Qaddafi.

And his ill-begotten spawn.

Immortal Technique
03-17-2011, 05:00 PM
U.N Votes Yes To Bomb Libya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_7v90Dc9tE

KramerDSP
03-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Quadaffi et al won't be alive 48 hours from now, if I had to guess.

ihsv
03-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Disgusting

Anti Federalist
03-17-2011, 05:15 PM
So now the UN declares war for us.

I'm with LE, I just feel sick.

My WTF has run out.

Orgoonian
03-17-2011, 05:21 PM
obligatory video
http://thefacepalmfiles.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/016-dr-house.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI&feature=related

1000-points-of-fright
03-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Why is the US, the UN or any other western nation involved? The Arab League asked for a no fly zone, let the Arab League do it. UAE and Qatar have air forces. So does Saudi Arabia. Probably some other North African nations too. They should be able to take care of it.

Depressed Liberator
03-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Looks like liberals are falling for the Team America shit. They think we're just going in there to take out Ghadaffi and exit, and have absolutely nothing to do with the country again... Get real.

South Park Fan
03-17-2011, 05:35 PM
There goes any hope for Libyan freedom.

QueenB4Liberty
03-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Why is the US, the UN or any other western nation involved? The Arab League asked for a no fly zone, let the Arab League do it. UAE and Qatar have air forces. So does Saudi Arabia. Probably some other North African nations too. They should be able to take care of it.

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!!! (That's why)

ClayTrainor
03-17-2011, 06:02 PM
You'd have a great future in government, perhaps you should alter your career plans. :)

haha... thanks but no thanks :p

VIDEODROME
03-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Does anyone know of any demonstration being organized to protest this action?

I'm in kind of a rural part of Michigan and currently not working. I've seen a lot of ridiculous actions from our govenment but starting on yet another Military Police Action is really bothering me a lot.

Sadly I had hoped the one thing we could hope for from liberal Obama was to be anti-war. It's astonishing to see how easily he's abandoning that and preparing to bomb another nation.

tpreitzel
03-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Just another affirmation of what I've been saying for decades, the UN has authorized strikes on Libya. Say what? The UN? Since when did the UN act as the surrogate for our national congress in deciding to deploy American forces? So the POTUS is going to act IAW the UN instead of the US Congress? We definitely have grounds for immediate dismissal of the POTUS.

HOLLYWOOD
03-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Do we bomb Bahrain next? Yemen? Their government's have been filling the body bags of their innocent citizens/protesters for weeks.

Hypocrisy at it's finest... ONWARD! Bahrain, Yemen, Algeria, Iran. Forget Somalia, Sudan, Israel... no fossil fuels/natural resources of use to the Imperial Empire. Now back to your regularly scheduled propaganda program.

s35wf
03-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Do we bomb Bahrain next? Yemen? Their government's have been filling the body bags of innocent protesters for weeks.

Hypocrisy at it's finest... ONWARD! Bahrain, Yemen, Algeria, Iran. Forget Somalia, Sudan, Israel... no fossil fuels/natural resources of use to the Imperial Empire. Now back to your regularly scheduled propaganda program.

I cannot believe were getting involved in another "war" At the end of the voting video I heard it said "NO Foreign Occupation" How many of us believe that this will be the case? Why cant the middle east countrys handle it? why do we need to be involved? Its not our continent. :mad:

When will it all just End???:(

Anti Federalist
03-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Highest rated comment on the America-Fuck Yeah video:

AMERICA.............BROKE YEAH!!!

thedevos1981 1 day ago 21

heavenlyboy34
03-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Just another affirmation of what I've been saying for decades, the UN has authorized strikes on Libya. Say what? The UN? Since when did the UN act as the surrogate for our national congress in deciding to deploy American forces? So the POTUS is going to act IAW the UN instead of the US Congress? We definitely have grounds for immediate dismissal of the POTUS.

This tradition of using international bodies to get the US into war began back in the early 20th century with the League of Nations (another Wilsonian curse, btw), AFAIK. There have been bills introduced in congress that would remove the US from the UN, but they've never gotten anywhere. :( Too many people benefit from the warmongering cabal that is the UN for it to end easily or soon.

tpreitzel
03-17-2011, 08:51 PM
This tradition of using international bodies to get the US into war began back in the early 20th century with the League of Nations (another Wilsonian curse, btw), AFAIK. There have been bills introduced in congress that would remove the US from the UN, but they've never gotten anywhere. :( Too many people benefit from the warmongering cabal that is the UN for it to end easily or soon.

If one simply thinks a bit about this scenario, i.e. using international bodies as an illegitimate proxy for our congress, it's BLATANTLY unconstitutional, actually anti-constitutional. How has the War Powers Resolution stayed in force for crying out loud? It obviously gives the POTUS the ability to wage unconditional war under a foreign flag even if for a defined period. Hence, we have a POTUS executing the will of the UN instead of the will of the people of the US, i.e. through the US Congress.... simply stunning that this treasonous behavior continues....

Feeding the Abscess
03-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I appreciate Rand's opposition to the action, but I'm really sick of him speaking in campaign platitudes (dropping Sharia references and whatnot). Methinks that's the real Rand, not the Rand that spoke for Ron in 07/08, and is the difference between Rand and Ron.

I have nothing else to add. It's blatantly moronic to start yet another war, and cowardly as fuck for anti-war Senators to not raise hell over SOMETHING. Playing the game and moving goalposts isn't going to solve anything.

Stary Hickory
03-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Unbelievable, no one wants to get involved in Libya. Americans don't want it....it's time to cut the strings on Washington...they have lost their damn minds.

Philhelm
03-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Highest rated comment on the America-Fuck Yeah video:

AMERICA.............BROKE YEAH!!!

thedevos1981 1 day ago 21

That's a good one. I just posted: "America!!! Fucked? Yeah..."

TNforPaul45
03-17-2011, 09:28 PM
If the UN wanted to do something, they would decide on a no-fly zone over the entire planet. . . for the U.S.

devil21
03-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Take Debka file stuff with a grain of salt.

doodle
03-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Can't they wait just two more days?

March 20 is Iraq shock n awe anniversary. Then in future we can hold Iraq and Libya freedom vigils on same day saving time and effort in a dewindling economy.

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 11:08 PM
I appreciate Rand's opposition to the action, but I'm really sick of him speaking in campaign platitudes (dropping Sharia references and whatnot). Methinks that's the real Rand, not the Rand that spoke for Ron in 07/08, and is the difference between Rand and Ron.

I have nothing else to add. It's blatantly moronic to start yet another war, and cowardly as fuck for anti-war Senators to not raise hell over SOMETHING. Playing the game and moving goalposts isn't going to solve anything.

He does that specifically to get other people on board with not bombing Libya. It worked. I posted free republic comments here somewhere, at least just based on his statement (before Rubio started asking why we hadn't bombed earlier) they were agreeing we shouldn't be there. It is part of what we discussed earlier. he uses red meat as a tool. I don't love it, but I accept it. And I hate to say that it does seem to work to open the thought processes of some who won't otherwise listen. They automatically respond 'this guy thinks like I do and he's convinced.....'

Clearly we need to see his votes, but his response to that question was quick and without compromise, that I saw, but for the meaningless red meat I could have done without. It is a pattern. I love what he has been doing in the senate, though, and when he singlehandedly stopped the Patriot Act from being extended by unanimous consent, I decided it was time to be a little more tolerant of his approach. He is really doing a great job.

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Can't they wait just two more days?

March 20 is Iraq shock n awe anniversary. Then in future we can hold Iraq and Libya freedom vigils on same day saving time and effort in a dewindling economy.

This^^

That he didn't think of it only goes to show that Obama is no fiscal conservative.

heavenlyboy34
03-18-2011, 12:02 AM
This thread affords me the opportunity to repost this classic Carlin routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkhzHQO7jY

MikeStanart
03-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Nice timing....while the nation is distracted by "The dangerous radiation heading to California" and the countless lives lost in Japan, we decide to sneak around in the background and lob some bombs over to Libya. Convenient.

MikeStanart
03-18-2011, 12:35 AM
This thread affords me the opportunity to repost this classic Carlin routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkhzHQO7jY

Holy Crap! How have I not seen that before! That's incredibly insightful, and insanely appropriate considering the shit going down in Libya.

BenIsForRon
03-18-2011, 05:59 AM
I agree with everybody that the US shouldn't be involved in this, but am I alone in thinking that a no-fly zone (enforced by Quatar, UAE, and maybe Egypt and Saudi Arabia) would be a good thing?

I mean, Gaddafi's limited number of supporters are able to do way more damage because they have helicopters and planes, and they were the aggressors in the situation, so they are certainly morally in the wrong. I think a no fly zone would put the breaks on their march in to Benghazi, and the rebels might have a chance to gain ground again.

amy31416
03-18-2011, 06:25 AM
I agree with everybody that the US shouldn't be involved in this, but am I alone in thinking that a no-fly zone (enforced by Quatar, UAE, and maybe Egypt and Saudi Arabia) would be a good thing?

I mean, Gaddafi's limited number of supporters are able to do way more damage because they have helicopters and planes, and they were the aggressors in the situation, so they are certainly morally in the wrong. I think a no fly zone would put the breaks on their march in to Benghazi, and the rebels might have a chance to gain ground again.

Is Egypt in a position to do this right now? Saudi Arabia is just as corrupt as some of the worst out there--I don't think their involvement would be a good thing...other than that, with the info I have, I'd like to see the other Arab countries support the rebels. Totally different ballgame than the US supporting them.

Feeding the Abscess
03-18-2011, 06:39 AM
Much like I oppose our involvement in Mexico's affairs, I'd oppose direct Arab League involvement in Libya. However, I'd be more than fine with all of those nations saying that they'd accept any and all defectors into their countries.

BenIsForRon
03-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Gaddafi's foreign secretary just announced a cease fire. Evidently they think the no fly zone may flip the situation into the rebels' favor.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/03/2011318124421218583.html