PDA

View Full Version : PageOneKentucky asks if Rand shouldn't go to Iraq and Afghanistan on a trip - I said no

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I said it was just a photo op unless he had diplomatic papers, and that isn't Paulian style. I also warned of the dangers of psyops, given how McCain acts. (Kidding. Sorta.)

Was I wrong?

Read Jake's comments and let me know what you think: http://pageonekentucky.com/2011/03/17/some-war-thoughts-for-now-senator-rand-paul/comment-page-1/#comment-141896

Do you think he just feels badly for Rand because McConnell left him off the field trip all the 'good kids' were taken on to see the wars up close and personal?

specsaregood
03-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Given the hell he is raising, it would be stupid to go somewhere that it would be so easy to be killed with a decent cover-up story. just saying....

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Given the hell he is raising, it would be stupid to go somewhere that it would be so easily to be killed with a decent cover-up story. just saying....

.....hadn't thought of that......

specsaregood
03-17-2011, 12:44 PM
.....hadn't thought of that......

There are lot of private contractors and foreign puppets with a lot of guns that stand to lose out on a whole lot of money if he got his way.

Aratus
03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
i thought RAND went out of his way to avoid the
puddleduck field trip led by the auld school marm

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 01:19 PM
i thought RAND went out of his way to avoid the
puddleduck field trip led by the auld school marm

Who knows?

He didn't go, anyhow.

At least one paper said he wasn't invited because he wasn't toeing the line, but media makes mistakes from time to time, as we well know....

TomtheTinker
03-17-2011, 01:23 PM
media makes mistakes from time to time

Media makes mistakes...where would you get such a silly idea?

JohnEngland
03-17-2011, 01:34 PM
It would give a future President Rand Paul more credibility, in the eyes of some, on issues of foreign policy.

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Jake thinks he should go with Al Franken. I think that might really put Al on the spot to live up to his rhetoric, so I wouldn't mind, so long as Rand was safe from special interests who would be having their candy snatched away in case he gets foreign policy revised....

TheDriver
03-17-2011, 03:02 PM
I think any major player (elected Pres, Senate, big House names), who is either pro-war or anti-war, has no credibility if they don't go visit places like Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc... That's just my 2 cents. Sure you can read stuff, but there's nothing like first hand experience.

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 03:05 PM
I think any major player (elected Pres, Senate, big House names), who is either pro-war or anti-war, has no credibility if they don't go visit places like Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc... That's just my 2 cents. Sure you can read stuff, but there's nothing like first hand experience.

At least in a debate with some moron who can't see past their nose regardless of what country they are in..... but who has been to Iraq. Personally, I thought Ron chewed McCain up in debates despite that gap, however.

They did make a huge deal about Sarah's international travel, or lack thereof.... maybe some thought they had a point....

TheDriver
03-17-2011, 03:10 PM
At least in a debate with some moron who can't see past their nose regardless of what country they are in..... but who has been to Iraq. Personally, I thought Ron chewed McCain up in debates despite that gap, however.

They did make a huge deal about Sarah's international travel, or lack thereof.... maybe some thought they had a point....

Personally, I'd love to hear Ron go in to a rant during a debate about his visit to Iraq or Afghanistan. "I was just over there, we're wasting our time....."

sailingaway
03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Personally, I'd love to hear Ron go in to a rant during a debate about his visit to Iraq or Afghanistan. "I was just over there, we're wasting our time....."

But while over there he'd be on a military command controlled toddler leash. Wouldn't he?

TheDriver
03-17-2011, 03:20 PM
But while over there he'd be on a military command controlled toddler leash. Wouldn't he?

So, then he could say: "We couldn't go anywhere over there without wasting a hundred thousand dollars a minute on security, and I'm just a little congressmen from Texas."

Nothing like firsthand experience....