PDA

View Full Version : U.S. House Votes to Defund NPR

RonPaulFanInGA
03-17-2011, 10:53 AM
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/262386/house-votes-defund-npr-daniel-foster

The House just voted 236-181 to remove federal funding for National Public Radio via the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

Brett85
03-17-2011, 10:55 AM
They need to defund all private organizations that get taxpayer money. There's simply no Constitutional authority for this.

Stary Hickory
03-17-2011, 10:55 AM
About time, the government should not be supporting the media like this. Now to defund more unconstitutional agencies and institutions.

tsai3904
03-17-2011, 11:20 AM
The House hasn't voted on the actual bill to defund NPR yet. The 236-181 vote (http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll190.xml) was for H Res 174, a procedural vote. The bill to defund NPR is H R 1076.

Amash explains the votes well on Facebook in near real time. Also, he will not be voting for H R 1076, which defunds NPR, because of his stance on not voting for bills that single out a particular entity.

fisharmor
03-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Yay! The House passed a bill which is either going to get killed in the Senate or vetoed!
Our problems are solved!

Brett85
03-17-2011, 11:55 AM
The House hasn't voted on the actual bill to defund NPR yet. The 236-181 vote (http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll190.xml) was for H Res 174, a procedural vote. The bill to defund NPR is H R 1076.

Amash explains the votes well on Facebook in near real time. Also, he will not be voting for H R 1076, which defunds NPR, because of his stance on not voting for bills that single out a particular entity.

I don't agree with his stance on that. Singling out a particular entity for a special tax would be unconstitutional. It's not unconstitutional to do away with unconstitutional spending.

ChaosControl
03-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Hurray for focusing on things that are hardly relevant at all when the federal reserve, the military, social security, and medicare are what are really killing us.

TheDriver
03-17-2011, 12:25 PM
They're still debating this bill on CSPAN.

Fox McCloud
03-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Hopefully PBS is next....

I hate the Corporation for Public Broadcasting says "A private company funded by the American People"--it makes it sound as if they have a broad audience and receive a lot of donations/investment..when it's really just tax dollars...

Koz
03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
This is all for show. It will never pass the senate. I'm ok with that though as long as there is no 'bipartisanship' we are ok for a little while. Bipartisanship = Big Spending

At this point they are just waiting three weeks to pass another Continuing Resolution to fund the gubment for another 3 weeks. Fools.

osan
03-17-2011, 02:28 PM
About time, the government should not be supporting the media like this. Now to defund more unconstitutional agencies and institutions.

I figure the bozos will never shut up about how they courageously cut spending by killing funding of NPR. "Ooooo... look at US everybody.... we're so *edgy* and courageous... we cut a whole 100 million dollars from the budget..." Then they will turn around when someone suggests they keep going and say something like "are you insane? We just slashed federal spending by pulling the plug on NPR. We can't cut into vital services. Are you MAD?!!" And thereby shall the status quo be maintained at the sacrifice of a meaningless detail. May I be proven wrong.

Acala
03-17-2011, 02:46 PM
"The deck chairs look MUCH nicer in that configuration!"

[sound of ship's hull ripping open on an iceberg]

georgiaboy
03-18-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm so disgusted that we're even talking about this. C-Span spent a whole 1/2 hr - 45 min segment this morning with one of the heads of American Public Broadcasting something or other. This guy was basically pleading his case for why NPR and PBS should not be de-funded, and many of the callers agreed with him.

I cannot believe this much airtime is being spent in media outlets everywhere about whether or not to cut such a low dollar, non-essential, and unconstitutional fedgov service that should've never been created in the first place. Straining at a gnat.

All this continuing resolution crap is infuriating also, same reason.

Travlyr
03-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I listened to NPR yesterday and they continually promote globalism. Many of their listeners evidently believe that a small group of Ivy League graduates should be in charge of the world no matter how many people they starve and kill through their wealth transfers and profitable wars. It's disgusting.