PDA

View Full Version : examiner: Ron Paul supporters already out in force for 2012 Republican nomination

muzzled dogg
03-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Karyn McDermott
Richmond Republican Examiner

Ron Paul supporters already out in force for 2012 Republican nomination
March 14th, 2011 2:55 pm ET

Richmond area Ron Paul supporters will be out in force Monday afternoon waving signs at the intersection of Pump and Broad from 4:30pm.

So why sign waving and why Ron Paul? The Examiner spoke with organizer Igor Prohorov who expects a decent turnout.

“Sign waving gets the message out to a lot of people in a short period of time, and it’s a lot of fun.”

Prohorov says it is hard to gauge the support for Congressman Ron Paul as a Republican candidate in the 2012 Presidential election because of the lack of substantive polls.

“It is hard to really know but Ron Paul’s message is really resounding with a lot of people,” Prohorov says. “Most of the people I know at work are tired of the wars, of the spending, and will not be voting for Obama next time.”

“The real challenge for Dr. Paul will not be Barack Obama, because only Ron Paul can take some votes from Obama’s base. For example, Ron Paul is very popular with young people and he is considered a hero by the anti-war movement and those who hold civil liberties dear. He is also popular with Independents,” enthused Prohorov, a long-time supporter of the libertarian conservative doctor from Texas.

“Everyone knows conservatives will not vote for Obama, so to beat Obama you have to be able to persuade those people I mentioned previously; that’s how you beat him!”

What about the other Republicans rumored to be running for the White House?

”No one else, whether it be (Mitt) Romney, Sarah (Palin), (Mike) Huckabee or (Herman) Cain…can win those key demographics. So, the real challenge for the Republican Party is how much do they really want to get Obama out of office?,” Prohorov asks.

“If the GOP refuses to change and come back to its roots, only they will be to blame for the re-election of Barack Obama.”

Congressman Ron Paul has a large support base in Virginia with his Virginian chapter of Campaign for Liberty one of the most active in the nation.

Dr. Paul attended the Virginia Tea Party Patriots Convention held in Richmond in October 2010, speaking to an enthusiastic crowd, signing books and posing for photographs.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Ron Paul supporters already out in force for 2012 Republican nomination - Richmond Republican | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/republican-in-richmond/ron-paul-supporters-already-out-force-for-2012-republican-nomination#ixzz1GmSNXeFo

Matt Collins
03-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Sign waving is ineffective. If it was effective we'd have President Paul in the White House right now.

erowe1
03-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Sign waving is ineffective. If it was effective we'd have President Paul in the White House right now.

+1

Aratus
03-16-2011, 12:10 PM
i think its a nice filler story all told, and yes...
matt collins is 100% correct about sign waiving!

Jeremy
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM

It's pretty effective compared to sitting on your butt and doing nothing.

Matt Collins
03-16-2011, 12:48 PM
It's pretty effective compared to sitting on your butt and doing nothing.
No, they are about the same in terms of productivity. The only difference is that people feel better about themselves when they're not on their butts.

Don't confuse "busy" with "productive".

If you wanted to do something productive, try organizing your precinct or building your county CFL group.

Mahkato
03-16-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't know if it's ineffective. The problem is that it takes most people a year or two to realize what liberty is about. They may have first seen Ron Paul's name driving by a sign wave, and it might not be until months later before they ever hear of him again or start their research.

Matt Collins
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't know if it's ineffective. The problem is that it takes most people a year or two to realize what liberty is about. They may have first seen Ron Paul's name driving by a sign wave, and it might not be until months later before they ever hear of him again or start their research.
Operating under the premise that you are seeking electoral victory, the only people that matter are likely Republican voters. You're best bet is to grow your local Campaign for Liberty county organization.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
03-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I think it's all about canvassing (aka going door to door). You can really see progress after you meet and greet a thousand people in a day, and you easily invite people out to your local C4L meeting.

eduardo89
03-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Isn't of sign waving people should be handing out fliers describing who Ron Paul is, what he stands for and how he compared to thr other candidates. Most Americans are too lazy to do thr research themselves. Even if they hear Ron Paul's name from a sign waving, they won't bother finding out who he is.

I like the idea of sign waving, but I think we should move to a method that more directly educates the general populace of RP and liberty.

Ps: happy birthday to Igor

sailingaway
03-16-2011, 02:38 PM
http://image.trustedopinion.com/wet-blanket-policy_photo-picture-gallery-2_640x480.jpeg

I think it is very cool for spurring interest and letting Ron know people want him to run.

When points for canvasing are available, people will canvas.

erowe1
03-16-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't think right now is the time for canvassing either. What we need to do at this stage is build the base of volunteers and donors, not voters. For that we really need to network in certain focused groups of likely supporters.

enoch150
03-16-2011, 03:26 PM

It's effective in getting people to take an initial step into actively campaigning in more productive ways.

Matt Collins
03-16-2011, 03:30 PM
It's effective in getting people to take an initial step into actively campaigning in more productive ways.In terms of making people feel good about themselves then yes it is good.

IDefendThePlatform
03-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Sign waving got those supporters an article in the local paper. That's good publicity.

Also, nice quotes from that RP group leader about independents and beating Obama in the general election.

FreedomProsperityPeace
03-19-2011, 03:28 AM
What about the other Republicans rumored to be running for the White House?

"No one else, whether it be (Mitt) Romney, Sarah (Palin), (Mike) Huckabee or (Herman) Cain…can win those key demographics. So, the real challenge for the Republican Party is how much do they really want to get Obama out of office?," Prohorov asks.I'm afraid a lot of Republicans would rather have Obama there rather than Ron Paul.

Roxi
03-19-2011, 07:59 AM

I disagree. Sign waving doesn't win elections, that is true. However, if it weren't for sign waving, Ron Paul would be in the same position as any other no name candidate that has ever run in a presidential election. Ron Paul became as well known and popular as he did in part, because of sign waves. It also provides a way for supporters to get together socially without wasting a few hours having a potluck or something. I participated in plenty of sign waves in 07/08 and will continue to do so for the next election (if he runs). We gained many a supporter during our sign waves, I saw plenty of evidence of this with my own eyes. I do think they are low on the value scale, but not a complete waste of time IMO.

ronpaulhawaii
03-19-2011, 08:20 AM

Sign waving is neither highly effective, nor ineffective. It is one thing to attempt to promote the type of tactics one believes is most effective, quite another to throw wet blankets on other's tactics as a means of promoting ones own. In fact, when I see such wet blankets thrown I can only think that the wet blanket throwers are ineffective at promoting their preferred tactics and resorting to the lamer tactic of putting down others to build up themselves...

Sign waving got those supporters an article in the local paper. That's good publicity.

Also, nice quotes from that RP group leader about independents and beating Obama in the general election.

How much is earned media worth?

speciallyblend
03-19-2011, 08:25 AM

100% not true collins! maybe ineffective in your eyes but that is not true and you know it!! Yes they must become delegates etc etc, but sign waving is a huge thing!!

erowe1
03-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Sign waving is neither highly effective, nor ineffective. It is one thing to attempt to promote the type of tactics one believes is most effective, quite another to throw wet blankets on other's tactics as a means of promoting ones own.

I generally agree with that. We have a really diverse group of supporters who all have different niches, and they need to be encouraged to fill whatever that niche is that really gets them excited as their way to help.

But I do think there is some cost in creating the impression in voters' minds that Ron Paul is the candidate who depends on people holding homemade signs on street corners.

Also, a lot of his supporters are young and just don't know what works and what doesn't, and they'd happily put their energy to whatever use it can do the most good if somebody with experience give them the guidance.

speciallyblend
03-19-2011, 08:27 AM
way to go va:) my home state though i would never in a million years ever move back!!

Matt Collins
03-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Sign waving is neither highly effective, nor ineffective. It is one thing to attempt to promote the type of tactics one believes is most effective, quite another to throw wet blankets on other's tactics as a means of promoting ones own. In fact, when I see such wet blankets thrown I can only think that the wet blanket throwers are ineffective at promoting their preferred tactics and resorting to the lamer tactic of putting down others to build up themselves... You worked on Gunny's campaign, right? What methods did you use to win it?

How much is earned media worth?Quite a bit, but not as much as we all would like to think though. Again, multiple direct and targeted contact with likely primary voters is the most effective way to win an election.

Also, a lot of his supporters are young and just don't know what works and what doesn't, and they'd happily put their energy to whatever use it can do the most good if somebody with experience give them the guidance.And that's the idea! :)

I disagree. Sign waving doesn't win elections, that is true. However, if it weren't for sign waving, Ron Paul would be in the same position as any other no name candidate that has ever run in a presidential election. Ron Paul became as well known and popular as he did in part, because of sign waves. I disagree. It was mostly his first spat with Rudy at that debate, his outspokenness and this the fact that he was distinguished from the other Repubs, and Internet chatter that helped him along initially.

It also provides a way for supporters to get together socially without wasting a few hours having a potluck or something.That I can agree with. And I agree that social time is important. Even Ron says that while we do this it's important to have fun.

I participated in plenty of sign waves in 07/08 and will continue to do so for the next election (if he runs). We gained many a supporter during our sign waves, I saw plenty of evidence of this with my own eyes. I do think they are low on the value scale, but not a complete waste of time IMO.The question to ask yourself is "what is the most effective use of my time in this election?" And again the answer is direct, targets, and multiple contact with likely Republican voters.

100% not true collins! maybe ineffective in your eyes but that is not true and you know it!! Yes they must become delegates etc etc, but sign waving is a huge thing!!Don't confuse being busy with being productive.

ronpaulhawaii
03-19-2011, 12:23 PM
You worked on Gunny's campaign, right? What methods did you use to win it?

Brute force. Yes, we knocked on doors, but not in any "traditional campaign" fashion. It was a very unorthodox campaign... One thing I will note that, in that region of the country, "you ain't a real candidate unless you got some 4 x 8 roadsigns..." Just like in Hawaii people expect to see sign wavers for any one who really wants the job...

My point is that there is no good reason to be throwing wet blankets over other peoples backyards... While I applaud encouragement of traditional tactics, I also feel the need to heckle the use of discouragement (for others efforts) to promote such tactics.

If you were forced to decide between the two, would you rather people did nothing, or waved signs?

Quite a bit, but not as much as we all would like to think though. Again, multiple direct and targeted contact with likely primary voters is the most effective way to win an election.

Earned media was very effective in Gunny's case, there wasn't much, "multiple direct and targeted contact with likely primary voters"

I disagree. It was mostly his first spat with Rudy at that debate, his outspokenness and this the fact that he was distinguished from the other Repubs, and Internet chatter that helped him along initially.

I was in Hawaii and once I saw what AZ was doing with their banners I knew it was on... Further, much of that "internet chatter" is driven by events such as billboards, signbombs/waves, blimps, marches, etc...

That I can agree with. And I agree that social time is important. Even Ron says that while we do this it's important to have fun.

Yet, you repeatedly seem to be discouraging such fun...

The question to ask yourself is "what is the most effective use of my time in this election?" And again the answer is direct, targets, and multiple contact with likely Republican voters.

A question I think people should be asking is, "how can I balance my time so I don't burn out." Group get-togethers of any sort provide a welcome relief for many and a sign-wave is actually a step-up from a BBQ...

And I suppose you are really going to hate the billboards arranged by the guy who organized this event

:D

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/196636_10150112414476835_514941834_6933960_151677_ n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190408_10150110295891835_514941834_6919026_8388537 _n.jpg

Matt Collins
03-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Brute force. Yes, we knocked on doors, but not in any "traditional campaign" fashion. It was a very unorthodox campaign... One thing I will note that, in that region of the country, "you ain't a real candidate unless you got some 4 x 8 roadsigns..."

Absolutely, I agree with that. TV ads typically don't win elections either, but without them voters wonder if you are actually a credible candidate.

If you were forced to decide between the two, would you rather people did nothing, or waved signs?
Hobson's Choice.

Earned media was very effective in Gunny's case, there wasn't much, "multiple direct and targeted contact with likely primary voters"
I just helped to win a State Senate race in a special election with very similar surroundings. Except there was hardly any media about it. As I suspect with Gunny, our race I believe was actually won with signs, phone calls, a division among the other candidates, asynchronous geography, anti-Democrat sentiment and weather. In other words, we did the best we could, but in the end, we just got lucky.

Yet, you repeatedly seem to be discouraging such fun... No, you know me, I'm all about having fun :p

But I also don't confuse being productive with having fun.

A question I think people should be asking is, "how can I balance my time so I don't burn out." I'm different from most people I guess. I don't burn out, I live, eat, breath, and sleep the liberty movement. It's kind of an obsession, maybe an addiction, I dunno. OCD maybe?

I work hard, but I also party hard too.

And I suppose you are really going to hate the billboards arranged by the guy who organized this event

:DWell again, where could that money have been better spent? :(

acptulsa
03-22-2011, 09:33 PM
But I do think there is some cost in creating the impression in voters' minds that Ron Paul is the candidate who depends on people holding homemade signs on street corners.

What the hell is wrong with that? Wasn't it honest? Wasn't it true? Were we misleading anyone? The media deemed him He Who Must Not Be Named and we broke through that wall. And sign waving was an integral part of it.

TheTyke
03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
As long as people realize other things are a more effective use of time, and do them when the time is right, there's no problem with sign waving.

Sign waving for Ron in 2008, we met another supporter, got her networked with the groups, and she is now one of Kentucky's most effective advocates of liberty.

And we were out sign waving for Rand before he even announced his exploratory committee. If you've got no lists and no literature, and want to create a buzz, it's not the worst thing in the world.

But I do agree that YAL volunteers contacting 15,000+ Republican households in 3 days has a lot more punch than a sign wave. That was epic work, right there.