PDA

View Full Version : An idea for real representation...

josiahkeller
03-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Congress doesn't seem to represent the people. The congressman are more concerned with staying elected (via bribes from special interest groups).

So I had an idea. What about having congress randomly chosen from the American population every two years.
No incumbents, no paying back special interest groups, and what's more, real representation of the people.

Good idea? Crazy idea? What do you all think?

Wesker1982
03-15-2011, 11:41 PM
real representation of the people.

How are the principles that conclude this any different than the principles of racism?

Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather that individuals... By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so called 'diversity' actually perpetuate racism. Their obsession with racial group identity is inherently racist... We should understand that racism will endure until we stop thinking in terms of groups and begin thinking in terms of individual liberty. -Ron Paul

Sola_Fide
03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
How about just repeal the 17th amendment if you want real representation?

steve005
03-15-2011, 11:59 PM
I have a better idea, the only ones who can decide to go to war(congress) should be parents of men in military who would be on the front lines if they did decide to go to war, once they have no sons in military then it's their time to go. no sons who want to be in military? TOO BAD!

(this is how we lived for thousands of years when the leader of a clan had to decide if he wants his family to fight)

Jandrsn21
03-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Much like jury duty!?

Normal, everyday people have something congress can never obtain, in our current state, common sense!

I voted yes, a very intriguing idea!

t0rnado
03-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Having random people chosen from mental hospitals would be better than what we have now.

anaconda
03-16-2011, 01:14 AM
Congress doesn't seem to represent the people. The congressman are more concerned with staying elected (via bribes from special interest groups).

So I had an idea. What about having congress randomly chosen from the American population every two years.
No incumbents, no paying back special interest groups, and what's more, real representation of the people.

I thought of this previously. Make it like jury duty. I think it would be good. On average the appointed would have to entertain a lot of opinions from diverse experts, I would think. Most importantly, it would probably bring badly needed simplification in government. They would have to cut the lawyers and legalize out of the loop and make legislation much more clear to the average American. I think this would engage more people in a self reliant way, and make them become the government rather than view it as some abstract menace.

dbill27
03-16-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm going to say it would be worse, although i see many upsides to this. I don't have much more confidence in the general population that those they elect. At least in the current system we get to hold our officials somewhat accountable for their actions. Regular citizens with automatic 2 year terms doesn't sound that great. I think we have a great system put in place, and a great constitution, we just have distorted both of them.

Andrew-Austin
03-16-2011, 01:48 AM

Bad idea. And just how exactly would this amount to "real representation"? It isn't representation at all. To be frank it just sounds like some stupid version of democracy. Wouldn't work out well in a million years. I think I support the idea being put in to practice, simply because it would eliminate people's passive acceptance of the government and the system would crash. Who would respect a government comprised of lottery ticket winners?

I am assuming your reasoning behind this is that it would allow the average Joe or Sue to become a part of government. Even a team of super computers and philosophers are not fit to rule in my opinion, so the average person most certainly is not fit to rule either. The average Joe is as ignorant and self interested as anyone. You shuffle random people in to positions of power, you just get a more schizophrenic monster. Nothing could be certain about tomorrow.

I didn't vote in the poll. The only reason why I'd say its better than the current system is because it would fall apart sooner, and I doubt that is one of the things you wanted to cover w/ the "yes" option.

Minlawc
03-16-2011, 02:36 AM
You'd have to try this at a more local level first. If this works with any success, my suggestion would be is to make congress tricameral. One chamber being elected by the states, one elected by the people, the last selected randomly.

If this doesn't make sense, sorry, I'm tired.

I did vote no, but really I'm pretty iffy on the subject.

Vessol
03-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Reminds me of Harrison Bergeron.