PDA

View Full Version : Maine Senate Votes to Roll Back Seat Belt Law

Anti Federalist
03-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Hope?

Maine Senate Votes to Roll Back Seat Belt Law

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/15/maine-senate-votes-roll-seat-belt-law/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fnational+%28Interna l+-+US+Latest+-+Text%29

AUGUSTA, Maine – By a razor-thin margin, the Maine Senate has voted to reduce the state' s mandatory seat belt law to a secondary offense, meaning a violator could not be given a ticket unless stopped for another offense.

After a debate that pitted personal rights to make choices versus state rights to ensure public safety, senators voted 18-17 Tuesday to pass the bill. It still faces further House and Senate votes.

Under present law, all motorists in Maine must wear a safety belt and can be fined $50 for the first offense and $125 for the second offense.

Tuesday afternoon, the Transportation Committee took up two other traffic-safety proposals, which would outlaw the use of hand-held cellular phones or other electronic devices while driving, and ban texting while driving.

DamianTV
03-16-2011, 01:08 AM
All states need to follow suit on this.

Keith and stuff
03-16-2011, 09:00 AM
All states need to follow suit on this.

All states don't have this issue to deal with. For example, in 2009, myself and several others organized 1000s of people and we stopped the primary adult seat belt law that the federal government and lobbyist were trying to push on New Hampshire. In many states, adult seat belt laws are already a secondary offense.

I agree that it would be nice to remove all primary seat belt laws. It also makes sense to remove all secondary seat belt laws. These laws should also be removed for teenagers too. Heck, when I was traveling NH in 2009 organization the support for seat belt freedom, I came across a sign that said something about people under the age of 13 have to buckle up, which was a old NH law that was replaced in the 1990s with a law that made people under the age of 18 have to buckle up :(

Anyway, good for ME. If this moves forward, this will help me prevent future seat belt bills from becoming law in NH, as I see that as a personal mission. I'm especially interested in the science based testimony that was submitted to the ME Senate.

Fredom101
03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
The cops out here in CA are so busy giving $200 cell phone tickets that they are missing out on all the seatbelt-less criminals out there. ;)