PDA

View Full Version : Governor unveils cuts to close Ohio budget: curbs collective bargaining rights

aGameOfThrones
03-15-2011, 04:53 PM
CURBING UNIONS

Republicans in Ohio and other states argue that curbs on public sector unions, which are expected to pass Ohio's legislature this month, are essential to tighten stressed budgets.

Ohio's bill contains provisions that prohibit strikes by public employees, give local governments power to settle disputes, and limit collective bargaining on health care and other benefits for 300,000 teachers, police, and other workers.

Democrats say the measures amount to union-busting and are aimed at gutting a key Democratic constituency in the industrial state of 11.5 million people which has proved to be crucial in recent presidential elections.

The Ohio measure follows a law enacted in Wisconsin last week despite large protests there.

Demonstrations were also planned across the nation on Tuesday to protest Republican efforts to trim tens of billions of dollars from the federal budget, which would cost some 700,000 workers their jobs, according to the liberal group MoveOn.org.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/15/us-usa-ohio-budget-idUSTRE72E6X520110315

Koz
03-15-2011, 05:57 PM
I didn't vote for Kasich because he is a raging neocon, but I do approve of his budget, at least the little that I know about it. I would like to see mass layoffs though.

eduardo89
03-15-2011, 07:40 PM
I didn't vote for Kasich because he is a raging neocon, but I do approve of his budget, at least the little that I know about it. I would like to see mass layoffs though.

I like what he's doing with the budget, and even if he is a neocon, at least he can't do anything about foreign policy being governor!

Stary Hickory
03-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Kasich might be poor when it comes to foreign policy but he looks like he is acting responsibly in regards to the state budget...that is a plus.

Fox McCloud
03-15-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm no fan of Kasich; in the beginning, he sounded halfway decent--wanted to end the Ohio income tax...etc....but as the campaign wore on, he moved more and more to the center.

In any event, I haven't kept up with his budget, but I'm was happy to hear that the collective bargaining bill passed the Ohio Senate and House without any scuffles like in Wisconsin.

Ohio is still in the top 5 "statist" States to live in though, in my book...it'll take years to reverse crummy policy.