PDA

View Full Version : NRA says would not accept Obama invite to guns meeting

aGameOfThrones
03-15-2011, 04:50 PM
http://www.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20110315&t=2&i=363442136&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=2011-03-15T221920Z_01_BTRE72E1Q0A00_RTROPTP_0_USA-POLITICS

(Reuters) - Calls by President Barack Obama's administration to meet with all sides to discuss making gun laws more effective are politically motivated, the National Rifle Association's top executive said on Tuesday.

The White House said on Monday that the Justice Department is reaching out to "stakeholders on all sides of the issue. The goal would be to look at ways to find common ground" on "common-sense measures" on guns to improve public safety and security, while respecting the Second Amendment.

But NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre told Reuters in a telephone interview that if asked to attend such a meeting, the country's leading gun-rights group would say no.

"I mean absolutely not," adding that such a meeting would be with firm opponents of gun rights.

He called the Administration's move "a transparent attempt to appease the anti-Second Amendment base of President Obama," as well as to divert attention from a controversial Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) operation.

The ATF program, dubbed "Fast and Furious," allegedly allowed weapons to flow into Mexico so as to help the agency bust high-ranking drug kingpins.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/15/us-obama-guns-nra-idUSTRE72E96920110315

QueenB4Liberty
03-15-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't see what is so bad about at least attending the meeting.

FrankRep
03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
The National Rifle Association (NRA) has confirmed that they willingly cut a deal with Congress at the expense of free speech that says: We will not stand in the way of the proposed Disclose Act, believed to infringe upon First Amendment rights, if you do not infringe on our Second Amendment rights.

NRA Trades First Amendment Rights for Second Amendment Rights (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/3807-nra-trades-first-amendment-rights-for-second-amendment-rights)

Raven Clabough | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
Thursday, 17 June 2010

Gun Owners of America > NRA
http://www.gunowners.org/

BamaAla
03-15-2011, 04:56 PM

The NRA's attendance would only give the damn thing a measure of legitimacy. Their little code words and phrases like "common-sense measures" don't fool anyone; their only goal is to lower the number and scope of firearms and take them out of the hands of more American citizens. Good on the NRA and LaPierre for ignoring these jack-booted thugs.

Stary Hickory
03-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Gun laws are already unconstitutional...there is no gun emergency...no need for reforms, no need to disarm law abiding citizens while criminals and the agents of the state keep their weapons.

I would not give Obama the time of day, just ignore him and he goes away soon enough anyways.

erowe1
03-15-2011, 05:42 PM
But NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre told Reuters in a telephone interview that if asked to attend such a meeting, the country's leading gun-rights group would say no.

"I mean absolutely not," adding that such a meeting would be with firm opponents of gun rights.

He called the Administration's move "a transparent attempt to appease the anti-Second Amendment base of President Obama," as well as to divert attention from a controversial Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) operation.

That's odd. That doesn't sound like something the NRA would do. Since when did they not want to meet with opponents of gun rights and appease anti-second amendment people?

Carson
03-15-2011, 05:55 PM

From what I hear the way the global government works is they suck you into there little meetings and then start getting you to do things. They pat your head and put you in charge of things. Stars on the refrigerator and everything. Next thing you know your the one that is collecting up the guns.

AFPVet
03-15-2011, 06:36 PM
We do not have a full democracy... we have a constitutional/democratic republic. The anti-Second Amendment sheep can whine all they want but firearm laws are unconstitutional and should be eradicated. Laws don't prevent criminals or nutjobs from committing their acts... they only impede law abiding citizens. The NRA is in the right not to attend.

osan
03-15-2011, 06:36 PM

Attendance only serves to lend legitimacy to the notion of "common sense measures" - of gun control in any form. NRA is right on this one because to sit down with these usurpers and tyrants is to lend them credibility and relevance. One meets like this for one reason only: to compromise.

TheeJoeGlass
03-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Would you like to attend an ambush?

Freedom 4 all
03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Attendance only serves to lend legitimacy to the notion of "common sense measures" - of gun control in any form. NRA is right on this one because to sit down with these usurpers and tyrants is to lend them credibility and relevance. One meets like this for one reason only: to compromise.

Exactly!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3613/3355692361_06f17e3dd7.jpg

While looking him right in the face and saying no has its own appeal, there is no reason to for friends of freedom to sit down with tyrants.

Bern
03-15-2011, 07:19 PM

+rep

Maybe the NRA should issue Obama & Congress an invitation to attend a meeting on restoring Federal Law into compliance with the Founding Father's intent on the 2nd amendment.

osan
03-17-2011, 09:25 AM
+rep

Maybe the NRA should issue Obama & Congress an invitation to attend a meeting on restoring Federal Law into compliance with the Founding Father's intent on the 2nd amendment.

That would have been an excellent idea for a preemptive strike. NRA is often behind the wavefront in terms of creative approaches. They are also lacking in communicating effectively with their membership on certain issues where the decisions made seem to indicate they are betraying our faith and trust. This is something they really need to work on.

Pericles
03-17-2011, 09:36 AM

The only other reason to attend is to deliver a declaration of war, walk out on the other participants, and deliver your press release to the media while everyone else is wondering what happened. But that is not the style if the NRA.