PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Dept of Truth

tangent4ronpaul
03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
You know - so they can "revise" books regularly....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/business/media/15libraries.html?src=busln

Imagine the perfect library book. Its pages don’t tear. Its spine is unbreakable. It can be checked out from home. And it can never get lost.

The value of this magically convenient library book — otherwise known as an e-book — is the subject of a fresh and furious debate in the publishing world. For years, public libraries building their e-book collections have typically done so with the agreement from publishers that once a library buys an e-book, it can lend it out, one reader at a time, an unlimited number of times.

Last week, that agreement was upended by HarperCollins Publishers when it began enforcing new restrictions on its e-books, requiring that books be checked out only 26 times before they expire. Assuming a two-week checkout period, that is long enough for a book to last at least one year.

What could have been a simple, barely noticed change in policy has galvanized librarians across the country, many of whom called the new rule unfair and vowed to boycott e-books from HarperCollins, the publisher of Doris Lessing, Sarah Palin and Joyce Carol Oates.

“People just felt gobsmacked,” said Anne Silvers Lee, the chief of the materials management division of the Free Library of Philadelphia, which has temporarily stopped buying HarperCollins e-books. “We want e-books in our collections, our customers are telling us they want e-books, so I want to be able to get e-books from all the publishers. I also need to do it in a way that is not going to be exorbitantly expensive.”

[...]

(related - NetFlix has for a long time sent out rental CD's that could only be played a very few number of times before disintegrating... You know - in case you wanted to keep a movie...)

BrendenR
03-15-2011, 03:52 PM
This doesn't make much sense. I have an ebook reader. My books will last forever and I can lend them to other people myself. If they suddenly said my book would expire, I too would be up in arms and would be shelving my ebook for hard copies.

DamianTV
03-16-2011, 01:14 AM
Not quite forever. Thats a really long time. They will probably last at least as long as your ebook reader doesnt go out of date (oops, it already is) or the company doesnt revoke unlimited reading rights on the stuff you have already paid for.

tangent4ronpaul
03-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Do you remember Amazon revoking reading rights on 1984 a while back as it appeared that particular version didn't have the correct rights - so it just disappeared from peoples readers one night.

BrendenR
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Not quite forever. Thats a really long time. They will probably last at least as long as your ebook reader doesnt go out of date (oops, it already is) or the company doesnt revoke unlimited reading rights on the stuff you have already paid for.

My ebook reader (nook) reads the epub format and pdfs, so my reader will not be out of date until those file formats are out of date. B&N can go out of business, and I can still shop at google ebooks, or torrent books, etc.

So effectively, I'm good until the device itself dies (but then I still own the ebooks), at which point I buy a new device that supports epub/pdf and I have my books back. Not to mention I can read my books on any PC.

So yeah, I think it's a good deal.