PDA

View Full Version : Pastor of the largest Christian Church in the world: Japanese quakes "God's warnings"

doodle
03-15-2011, 12:17 PM
This almost never fails after a bigger tragedy, top religiois leaders make some claims about God's role as they are doing again following 3/11 tragedy:

Cho, Kim condemned for quake comments
The Korea Herald/Asia News Network
Tue, Mar 15, 2011

Senior pastor Cho Yong-gi of Yoido Full Gospel Church, the largest Christian church in the world, has faced vicious public condemnation as he called the catastrophic Japanese quakes and tsunamis "God's warnings."

"I fear that this disaster may be warnings from God against the Japanese people's atheism and materialism," an online Christian press quoted the elderly religious leader as saying Saturday.

"I hope that these series of events will drive the Japanese to turn their eyes towards God."

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20110315-268167.html

After Katrina, some Rabbis had called it God's punishment for America for forcing Israeli settlers out of Gaza. Pat Robertson and Falwell had tried to blame 9/11 tragedy on abortions, gays, ACLU among other "sins":

Falwell and Robertson on The 700 Club after 9/11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-CAcdta_8I

For any unapologetic religious folks with convictions here, do such views conform to God's true teachings?

If they do, why almost always top religious leaders end up taking back their first reaction with some mild apology?

pcosmar
03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
largest Christian Church in the world:
LoL

The Roman Catholic Church is the largest in the world.
And that means doddle squat.

doodle
03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Where is that Church located?

Or you are referring to Catholic faith being the largest religion and not any single Church?

pcosmar
03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,
I am saying that a large building and successful marketing don't mean shit.(except for prophets for profits)

RM918
03-15-2011, 12:44 PM
If God were razing the countryside to exact punishment on things he was supposedly against, San Fransisco would've been a smoking crater years ago. Just some asshole twisting religion for his own glorification.

fisharmor
03-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Leaders?
Robertson, Falwell?
These guys couldn't lead fat kids to an Oreo factory.

The only reason they show up in the news is because the news is capitalizing on them being self-righteous jerks.

The Patriarch of Constantinople has more actual ecclesiastical power than any hundred of these wack jobs put together.
Are you ever going to hear about him? No. Because he's not making an ass of himself.
It's probably one reason why he got to be where he is.

Maximus
03-15-2011, 01:17 PM
How on earth does he define being the largest church in the world? The Catholic Church is easily the largest Christian denomination.

ChaosControl
03-15-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm sure largest church means the individual church building with the most members. So a mega-mega-church. The exact opposite of what I'd attend if I was into religious services.

People makes these comments after everything like this.
Seriously if their god is so sadistic to cause this kind of suffering, it isn't a god I'd want to follow. I was raised in a religious home, actually a pretty fundamentalist religion too, and I was never taught nonsense like this.

Kregisen
03-15-2011, 01:37 PM
How on earth does he define being the largest church in the world? The Catholic Church is easily the largest Christian denomination.

He didn't say denomination, he said church as in members in a building.

Fredom101
03-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Comments like this go more towards helping people to atheism than to strengthen the church!

Fredom101
03-15-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm sure largest church means the individual church building with the most members. So a mega-mega-church. The exact opposite of what I'd attend if I was into religious services.

People makes these comments after everything like this.
Seriously if their god is so sadistic to cause this kind of suffering, it isn't a god I'd want to follow. I was raised in a religious home, actually a pretty fundamentalist religion too, and I was never taught nonsense like this.

Great points!
It makes you wonder, if their god was this evil, what is Satan all about??

tangent4ronpaul
03-15-2011, 01:57 PM
What???? - the resident bible thumper hasn't chimed in? AMAZING!

One Last Battle!
03-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Well, he IS Korean. Not much love for Japan there. Less to do with religion (most south Koreans are Christian anyway, and extremely so in some cases) and more to do with nationality.

pcosmar
03-15-2011, 02:21 PM
He didn't say denomination, he said church as in members in a building.

I understand that. But I also understand this.

"For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
So I have to doubt the point of a "mega" church other than as a profit making enterprise.

And why do people want to blame God for the results of sin?

Death, Illness, disasters, are all the result of the fall.

Kotin
03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
so what is going on when we get really good weather? god is rewarding us? god sounds like a child.

AParadigmShift
03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Well, he IS Korean. Not much love for Japan there. Less to do with religion (most south Koreans are Christian anyway, and extremely so in some cases) and more to do with nationality.

Dontcha know, God lurves the Koreans bunches more than the Japanese :p

crazyfacedjenkins
03-15-2011, 03:01 PM
I can't wait to meet this "god" and spit on its face.

specsaregood
03-15-2011, 03:12 PM
If God were razing the countryside to exact punishment on things he was supposedly against, San Fransisco would've been a smoking crater years ago.
Maybe he thinks forcing them to deal with those horrendous hills is a fitting punishment?

AParadigmShift
03-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Maybe he thinks forcing them to deal with those horrendous hills is a fitting punishment?

...let's not forget His cruelest of punishments: Ms. Pelosi :D

doodle
03-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I am saying that a large building and successful marketing don't mean shit.(except for prophets for profits)

So what do you understand when a news is reported with terms like a "Church" in New York or a "Mega Church" in Texas as in case of McCain endorser Pastor Hagee is reported? It is a building right?

YumYum
03-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Earthquakes are an unforeseen occurrence that befall everybody; good and bad. Ecclesiastes 9:11 says:

But time and unpredictable events overtake all of them.

BlackTerrel
03-15-2011, 09:32 PM
I can't wait to meet this "god" and spit on its face.

Thanks for that.

Nothing like an obscure quote by some Christian somewhere to bring on three pages of Christian bashing :rolleyes:

guitarlifter
03-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Just because one is obedient or not obedient to God, doesn't mean that one will be materialistically be blessed (wealthy and long life, etc.) or doomed in this life (poor and short life, etc.). Every day is given graciously by God, for nothing is our own, but comes from Him. God gives to whom he gives, and he takes away from whom he takes away. Job from the Bible had all 10 of his children along with his wealth taken from him, and he never cursed God's name and stayed faithful the whole time, before and after.

This pastor has no idea what he's talking about. The Bible tells us that truth is love, and we are to never be apologetic about our truth that we spread. To recant a statement such as his means that he really felt no strong conviction in believing that statement in the first place.

I'm glad you asked whether or not he was truly representative of the word of God, OP. At least on this issue, he is not.

libertarian4321
04-03-2011, 01:12 AM
To recant a statement such as his means that he really felt no strong conviction in believing that statement in the first place.

Maybe he recanted because a burning bush claimed it was God and told him to recant. Or maybe he found a magic "seer stone" while digging a well that told him to recant (I'm sure Joseph Smith wasn't the only one God talked to in this way). Or maybe God told him to recant using an Angel as an intermediary (as he did with Mohammed). Or maybe he had indigestion and thought it was a sign from God telling him to recant. In any of these cases, he could recant and still have strong conviction.