PDA

View Full Version : "Democrats Look to Twitter to Reverse Fortunes for 2012"

LibertyIn08
03-14-2011, 07:54 AM
http://www.rollcall.com/issues/56_95/-204065-1.html?ET=rollcall:e9971:80104117a:&st=email&pos=epol

Democrats are hoping they’ve found a secret weapon for winning back the House in 2012: Twitter.

House Democrats say that while they may be outnumbered, they stand to come out ahead by becoming more savvy to social media to stay more directly connected to the public.

“We know that we’re up against a team of about 43 think tanks on the other side. ... But when you engage them in a good debate, they’re shallow. They have no other place to go except to keep saying the same things over and over again,” Rep. Mike Honda told attendees of the Democratic National Committee’s winter meeting in February.

Aratus
03-14-2011, 08:04 AM
vox populii? even if twitter tries not to be passe?

specsaregood
03-14-2011, 08:16 AM
"But when you engage them in a good debate, they’re shallow. They have no other place to go except to keep saying the same things over and over again"

lol, twitter is limited to what, 140chars? definitely the platform for intellectual debate it is.

tangent4ronpaul
03-14-2011, 08:17 AM
OMG! - This means the Dems are going to stop being shallow and will stop saying the same things over and over again! OUCH!, we're toast guys. Better throw in the towel now.

And they are going to do all that in 140 characters or less.... amazing!

Nate-ForLiberty
03-14-2011, 08:34 AM
old people and technology are funny! :D

Jack Bauer
03-14-2011, 08:35 AM
"But when you engage them in a good debate, they’re shallow. They have no other place to go except to keep saying the same things over and over again"

lol, twitter is limited to what, 140chars? definitely the platform for intellectual debate it is.

When they say "a good debate", they hardly mean a good debate.

Twitter is the perfect media for them.

Its easy to accuse someone in 140 characters, pretty difficult to debunk an accusation and before someone tries to summarize an accurate argument against the accusation, that accusation will be made passe and a new accusation will surf up.

JamesButabi
03-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Tea Baggers spew racism and want to give all your money to billionaires. Support the DNC! #racism #teabagger #obama #republicanshateblackppl

specsaregood
03-14-2011, 08:37 AM
When they say "a good debate", they hardly mean a good debate.
Twitter is the perfect media for them.

Sounds like it is right up your alley as well. Still going around advocating usury? 84chars

Jack Bauer
03-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Sounds like it is right up your alley as well. Still going around advocating usury? 84chars

:D

I don't know why you are against it if done voluntarily. 56chars

tangent4ronpaul
03-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Tea Baggers spew racism and want to give all your money to billionaires. Support the DNC! #racism #teabagger #obama #republicanshateblackppl

BZZZT! 141 chars. You'll have to loose a char of punctuation or something :D

Chieppa1
03-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Twitter is prefect for mindless group think. "Look, Obama is trending. He must be cool". I've never won a debate on there, since I link to sources and whatnot. However, I do get the message out as tons of people sit back and watch the debate. Maybe even reading the articles I link.

Jack Bauer
03-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Twitter is prefect for mindless group think. "Look, Obama is trending. He must be cool". I've never won a debate on there, since I link to sources and whatnot. However, I do get the message out as tons of people sit back and watch the debate. Maybe even reading the articles I link.

Yes. And the Democrats are planning to out flood your messages. It will be simple and effective as a tactic.

I am guessing the Repubs will not be far behind in that game either.

Libertarians will come out worse IMO because of our numbers. On the other hand, our ability to spam polls makes me slightly optimistic but we cannot win the twitter messaging war against paid tweeters which I am assuming the Dems and the Pubs will employ.

Nate-ForLiberty
03-14-2011, 09:19 AM
BZZZT! 141 chars. You'll have to loose a char of punctuation or something :D

http://www.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/the_fifth_element_movie_image_chris_tucker_01.jpg

00_Pete
03-14-2011, 09:32 AM
The "progressives" are late as usual.

angelatc
03-14-2011, 11:30 AM
... But when you engage them in a good debate, they’re shallow.

I LOL'd. I think a typical debate results in the person with no more facts calling us names. Looks like he just cut right through the chase.