PDA

View Full Version : "Why I am not worried about Japan’s nuclear reactors."

LibertyIn08
03-13-2011, 10:26 AM
http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/

I have been reading every news release on the incident since the earthquake. There has not been one single (!) report that was accurate and free of errors (and part of that problem is also a weakness in the Japanese crisis communication). By “not free of errors” I do not refer to tendentious anti-nuclear journalism – that is quite normal these days. By “not free of errors” I mean blatant errors regarding physics and natural law, as well as gross misinterpretation of facts, due to an obvious lack of fundamental and basic understanding of the way nuclear reactors are build and operated. I have read a 3 page report on CNN where every single paragraph contained an error.

FrankRep
03-13-2011, 10:34 AM
The anti-Nuclear activists will try to exploit this event to the fullest extent.

goldencane
03-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Great read, thanks!

mczerone
03-13-2011, 12:21 PM
ANY major media report ABOUT ANYTHING contains "at least one error per paragraph". And like this guy says, it's not just typos and bias, but extreme misunderstanding of the actual field being reported upon, and it usually is used to support a "slant" on the report.

Whatever area you know about, think about the times that it came up in the newspaper or on TV news. How many errors did you spot?

Vessol
03-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Why I am worried about Japan's nuclear reactors: The only source of news is the Japanese government, they have a vested interest in downplaying the incident.

BlackTerrel
03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Hmmmm... this is a fucked situation any way you play it.

The anti-Nuclear activists will try to exploit this event to the fullest extent.

Doesn't mean we need to downplay it.

00_Pete
03-13-2011, 07:05 PM
"Why I am not worried about Japan’s nuclear reactors."

Because you are insane?

doodle
03-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Why I am worried about Japan's nuclear reactors: The only source of news is the Japanese government, they have a vested interest in downplaying the incident.

Good point.

Vigilance and getting to bottom of things never hurt anyone.

tangent4ronpaul
03-13-2011, 07:13 PM
I think we have identified our volunteer canary! YEAH!

00_Pete
03-13-2011, 07:20 PM
I think we have identified our volunteer canary! YEAH!

Thats good thinking. :)

specialK
03-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Michael Ruppert of collapsenet.com is recommending that Pacific Coasters obtain supplies of potassium iodide. I almost bought some today, but wasn't sure if he was promoting unfounded paranoia or not. Anyone else considered getting some potassium iodide?

tangent4ronpaul
03-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Michael Ruppert of collapsenet.com is recommending that Pacific Coasters obtain supplies of potassium iodide. I almost bought some today, but wasn't sure if he was promoting unfounded paranoia or not. Anyone else considered getting some potassium iodide?

Get some. Might need it for this incident, or not - but good to have.

I've had some in the freeze for a while now. Good insurance.

-t

LibForestPaul
03-13-2011, 07:54 PM
How many above ground nuclear weapons test did the US, not to mention France, conduct in the Pacific, in the Western US?
But somehow this is supposed to get me all scared and paranoid? Nah. I'll worry about deteriorating gas mains first. I know what happens to communities when one of those goes boom, or toxic gas accident on railways.

Fox McCloud
03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
I figured this would be overhyped---while I have no doubt that the Japanese government is downplaying it a bit, we also need to look at the facts; these are modern light-water, non-graphice control rod nuclear reactors....there's only been a small amount of people who've been irradiated, and the dosage isn't that high either.

I'd say they're doing quite well given the situation---still a disaster and tragedy, but not "Chernobyl" by any stretch of the imagination.