PDA

View Full Version : Japan Deathtoll--Just skyrocketed

Fox McCloud
03-13-2011, 02:10 AM
The deathtoll was generally thought to be a bit over one-thousand...but now police are estimating over 10,000 dead in a single region alone:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42056235/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/?GT1=43001

And the tsunamis aren't over yet, nor are their nuclear issues (AFAIK). :T

Vessol
03-13-2011, 02:28 AM
When I saw these videos, I sadly knew it was going to do this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3AdFjklR50&feature=player_embedded
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8376945/Entire-Japanese-city-on-fire-after-earthquake.html

The fact this happened so fast with so little warning..there is no way that many people could have gotten to safety in time..

I fear it will be much higher in the coming weeks, some cities were completely wiped off the map.

qh4dotcom
03-13-2011, 02:32 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8376945/Entire-Japanese-city-on-fire-after-earthquake.html

The fact this happened so fast with so little warning..there is no way that many people could have gotten to safety in time..

I fear it will be much higher in the coming weeks, some cities were completely wiped off the map.

Wow...I have never seen a Youtube Russia Today video get so many views...over 2 million...hope they got a bunch of new subscribers from it

Vessol
03-13-2011, 03:05 AM
New footage..jesus h. christ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIYG5GctqCQ

Batman
03-13-2011, 03:13 AM
The bases got hit. All of them are going to be rebuilt and restocked with tanks and aircraft.

Feeding the Abscess
03-13-2011, 03:18 AM
Wow...I have never seen a Youtube Russia Today video get so many views...over 2 million...hope they got a bunch of new subscribers from it

I'm going to ask you a serious question:

Are you autistic? Do you suffer from Asperger's, perhaps? I'm asking because you seem to have a profound ability to post some of the most insensitive stuff I've ever seen.

I'm drawing from this post, about watching of thousands of people dying of a natural disaster (and hoping a news channel will get a bunch of subscribers as a result), and your first post about Giffords in the thread that gave an update on her recovery.

If you are, you are. It is what it is. It'd give me a sense of understanding about your posting habits. I'm not exactly one for censorship or armchair moderating, but seriously dude... if you aren't, get a grip.

BamaAla
03-13-2011, 03:26 AM

Same. I knew, even though I had hoped that those 1500-2000 estimates were going to be true, that the death toll was going to be very high. As you said, an event like this isn't going to take only a relative few.

I don't I my mind has fully processed the magnitude of the whole ordeal yet; it still seems unreal to an extent.

Live_Free_Or_Die
03-13-2011, 03:35 AM
may mercy be plentiful among the people.

t0rnado
03-13-2011, 04:12 AM

Are you autistic? Do you suffer from Asperger's, perhaps? I'm asking because you seem to have a profound ability to post some of the most insensitive stuff I've ever seen.

I'm drawing from this post, about watching of thousands of people dying of a natural disaster (and hoping a news channel will get a bunch of subscribers as a result), and your first post about Giffords in the thread that gave an update on her recovery.

If you are, you are. It is what it is. It'd give me a sense of understanding about your posting habits. I'm not exactly one for censorship or armchair moderating, but seriously dude... if you aren't, get a grip.

I've never seen a Russia Today video get that many views either, dude.

squarepusher
03-13-2011, 05:47 AM

is this like pot meets kettle?

One Last Battle!
03-13-2011, 07:57 AM

He is making a legitimate point. I have NEVER seen RT get that many Youtube views.

JK/SEA
03-13-2011, 08:07 AM

wow. I thought shit like this could get you banned.

osan
03-13-2011, 08:10 AM
The deathtoll was generally thought to be a bit over one-thousand...but now police are estimating over 10,000 dead in a single region alone:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42056235/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/?GT1=43001

And the tsunamis aren't over yet, nor are their nuclear issues (AFAIK). :T

This should come as no surprise, given the earliest reports stated that at least one entire city was reduced to rubble.

YumYum
03-13-2011, 08:22 AM
This should come as no surprise, given the earliest reports stated that at least one entire city was reduced to rubble.

Didn't the first announcement when the quake hit claim there were "38 dead, and hundreds missing"?

Matthew Zak
03-13-2011, 11:30 AM
I know the timing for such a statement may be insensitive to the Japanese people and anyone else who's affected by this disaster, but I can't help to compare the destruction to that of a war zone, or some place that we've bombed the crap out of. We have killed and lost so many people in pointless wars. And we've become so numb to our method of killing people we seem to need to watch it happen in some other way for it to affect us. Think of all the people in our country who's hearts are aching for the Japanese people. Would their hearts ache as much for the Iraqi, or Afghan people? What about our soldiers? I can't imagine being blown to pieces would be any more pleasurable than crushed by a tidal wave of fire and debris. Even though my heart sincerely goes out to the Japanese, it's accompanied by an unyielding and growing resentment towards my own people who act like they care about the Japanese people, and don't even consider the damage we're causing all over the world every damn day. People were dying before march 11th, and for them it was every bit as terrible.

I just had to get that off my chest.

eduardo89
03-13-2011, 11:39 AM
I know the timing for such a statement may be insensitive to the Japanese people and anyone else who's affected by this disaster, but I can't help to compare the destruction to that of a war zone, or some place that we've bombed the crap out of. We have killed and lost so many people in pointless wars. And we've become so numb to our method of killing people we seem to need to watch it happen in some other way for it to affect us. Think of all the people in our country who's hearts are aching for the Japanese people. Would their hearts ache as much for the Iraqi, or Afghan people? What about our soldiers? I can't imagine being blown to pieces would be any more pleasurable than crushed by a tidal wave of fire and debris. Even though my heart sincerely goes out to the Japanese, it's accompanied by an unyielding and growing resentment towards my own people who act like they care about the Japanese people, and don't even consider the damage we're causing all over the world every damn day. People were dying before march 11th, and for them it was every bit as terrible.

+1

Kludge
03-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Other than that, there's nothing unnatural about a person looking to see how a situation will affect us. Will 20k dead Japanese affect us? Outside of change in news coverage and water-cooler discussion, probably not. Will 20k new subscribers to RT affect us? Possible... Will the events' effect on nuclear power plant production in the US affect us? Very likely.

Edit: - Or here's another example of an even more "insensitive" remark:

Let's hope [the alleged fraud by Bank of America] doesnt get buried under Japan news

Anti Federalist
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Without regard to whether the comment is correct or not, I'm hard pressed to see why that was a "banworthy" post.

If in fact, that was why Feeding was banned.

qh4dotcom
03-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Thank you to everyone who responded to member "Feeding The Abscess" post #6

I wonder if FTA has ever talked like that to a neocon / Obama supporter and accused him/her of being insensitive to the issues facing the country.

And like all the members in this forum I do hope the Japanese recover quickly from this tragedy, there is no nuclear meltdown and they get all the help they need.

qh4dotcom
03-13-2011, 03:19 PM

Well said

tangent4ronpaul
03-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Other than that, there's nothing unnatural about a person looking to see how a situation will affect us. Will 20k dead Japanese affect us? Outside of change in news coverage and water-cooler discussion, probably not. Will 20k new subscribers to RT affect us? Possible... Will the events' effect on nuclear power plant production in the US affect us? Very likely.

Edit: - Or here's another example of an even more "insensitive" remark:

eh - we'll probably see the rise of the 3/11ers who think the US Gvmt used environmental warfare to do in our second largest creditor to help solve the debt problem... :rolleyes:

you DO know who's candidacy these tin foilers will get behind - right?

-t

tangent4ronpaul
03-13-2011, 03:28 PM

+1