PDA

View Full Version : Senators Kyl and Hatch say you can’t expect the names of books you read to be private

Agorism
03-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Senators Jon Kyl and Orrin Hatch say you can’t expect the names of books you read to be private

Link here (http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2011/03/12/senators-jon-kyl-and-orrin-hatch-say-you-cant-expect-the-names-of-books-you-read-to-be-private/)

There is no expectation of privacy. Nobody believes that a library record or a sale over the internet is a private record where there’s an expectation of privacy.

-Jon Kyl

and

Records held by third parties, such as bookseller records, are not entitled to a reasonable expectation of privacy.

-Orrin Hatch

and

How does the law enforcement official know in advance, before he sees the order from the bookseller, that it includes the book? That is, how do you prove the standard that is required in this amendment just to obtain the record? Remember, we’re just obtaining a record of something. There’s no expectation of privacy….

We’re really missing something basic here. What law enforcement is trying to obtain at the early stages of an investigation are leads. They’re trying to figure out if somebody might have engaged in the activity that they have to go to a judge to prove is relevant to an investigation of terrorism. They don’t know what he bought! They don’t know what book he checked out. Or they don’t know who checked out the book or bought the equipment.

They can get a warrant later, to meet the standard to convict somebody in court, they will have gathered all these leads because they will have figured out what he did purchase or what book he did check out and so on. Prior to a preliminary investigation they don’t know these things.

-Jon Kyl

heavenlyboy34
03-12-2011, 01:39 PM
To be fair, Kyl is just parroting what the SCOTUS has ruled about privacy and mixing in some of his own fascist BS.

Agorism
03-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Who cares what SCOTUS says. I've said I would be an activist judge if I were on there.