PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul's Senate speech changed my opinion of him

Matthew Zak
03-11-2011, 04:27 AM
In one glorious speech he evolved before my eyes, from a "hopeful asset" to a leader of the movement. He's showing that he's got the same balls that his father has, only a smoother delivery, and a good 30 or 40 years of fight left in him. To me, he's no longer just Ron Paul's son, he's Rand-fucking-Paul.

In case you haven't seen it, this is the speech I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqcLQzD-aA

Philhelm
03-11-2011, 04:31 AM
YouTube?

Matthew Zak
03-11-2011, 04:34 AM
YouTube?

Have you not seen this?

Philhelm
03-11-2011, 04:45 AM
Merci beaucoup!

Edit: That was good! I really think we have a torch-bearer here. By hook or by crook, we will see a President Paul, I think.

roho76
03-11-2011, 05:46 AM
I appreciate what he was saying but this will end up in the media as Rand Paul: "I waited twenty years to come here and complain about toilets."

Matthew Zak
03-11-2011, 06:13 AM
I appreciate what he was saying but this will end up in the media as Rand Paul: "I waited twenty years to come here and complain about toilets."

Complain about toilets? What do you mean? He doesn't say the word toilet a single time.

eduardo89
03-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Rand is amazing and he is the next leader of the liberty movement

PermanentSleep
03-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Complain about toilets? What do you mean? He doesn't say the word toilet a single time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELDHaeEsNF0&feature=player_embedded

THIS is just badass.

sevin
03-11-2011, 07:24 AM
In one glorious speech he evolved before my eyes, from a "hopeful asset" to a leader of the movement. He's showing that he's got the same balls that his father has, only a smoother delivery, and a good 30 or 40 years of fight left in him. To me, he's no longer just Ron Paul's son, he's Rand-fucking-Paul.

I completely agree. This speech amazed me. I was cautiously optimistic about him when he was running, but now I'm certain. Like you said, it's starting to feel like he could be the leader of the movement.

osan
03-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Rand is amazing and he is the next leader of the liberty movement

And that's the problem - the "liberty movement" doesn't need a leader. It needs tens of millions of like-minded people who are capable and willing to dope the issues out for themselves at home and in their communities. Having A leader is why we are doomed. If this doesn't change, it's all a charade - a study in futility.

Forget about leaders as such and concentrate on becoming smart, on helping others become smart, on organizing the legions, and on ACTING. It is great to have examples, but as long as we remain in the habit of letting others do the dirty work for us, we remain vulnerable to corruption as we allow ourselves to be lead around by the nose at the hands of those in whom we vest our trust. If you trust Rand Paul, Ron Paul, or Jesus himself you are a fool. Trust nobody so far that you let them run unobserved. No man is such a perfect saint that he can be trusted unconditionally, yet this is what Americans do, despite all our bitching when we take it in the neck for the forty nine millionth time.

Fool me once...

ARealConservative
03-11-2011, 08:04 AM
he's obviously the same guy that gave stump speeches for his dad, but still, I'm glad to see more and more people waking up to that fact.

Matthew Zak
03-11-2011, 08:10 AM
And that's the problem - the "liberty movement" doesn't need a leader. It needs tens of millions of like-minded people who are capable and willing to dope the issues out for themselves at home and in their communities. Having A leader is why we are doomed. If this doesn't change, it's all a charade - a study in futility.

Forget about leaders as such and concentrate on becoming smart, on helping others become smart, on organizing the legions, and on ACTING. It is great to have examples, but as long as we remain in the habit of letting others do the dirty work for us, we remain vulnerable to corruption as we allow ourselves to be lead around by the nose at the hands of those in whom we vest our trust. If you trust Rand Paul, Ron Paul, or Jesus himself you are a fool. Trust nobody so far that you let them run unobserved. No man is such a perfect saint that he can be trusted unconditionally, yet this is what Americans do, despite all our bitching when we take it in the neck for the forty nine millionth time.

Fool me once...

I think a leader is exactly what the movement needs. Another another. And another. The movement can't be dragged along by a single leader, there needs to be more, many more leaders. You are exactly right, we need a title-wave of like-minded people to push the movement. That's why I'm happy to embrace Rand Paul as a (not "the") leader.

Aratus
03-11-2011, 08:50 AM
i've been saying this all before, namely
that 2016 or 2020 could be RAND's year!

Feeding the Abscess
03-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Until Rand drops the Republican-lite talking points he incessantly speaks in, let's keep Ron as the figurehead of the movement.

Kill 'em All (Ron) > Black Album (Rand)

crazyfacedjenkins
03-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Until Rand drops the Republican-lite talking points he incessantly speaks in, let's keep Ron as the figurehead of the movement.

I'm more of a ...And Justice For All fan.

Brett85
03-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Republican-lite?

AuH20
03-11-2011, 10:36 AM

But Black Album outsold Kill 'em All by a significant margin. It's called dispersion. :)

Liberty_Mike
03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Great thread! Actually, my opinion changed of Rand that he would soon become a leader after his second speech on the Senate floor. For those of you who haven't seen it, check it out. It's an amazing speech. Rand references the constitution and gives examples of how markets work from his private sector experience!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtt17e12-U&feature=channel_video_title

TIMB0B
03-11-2011, 10:46 AM

THIS is just badass.

Indeed. And I loved how he opened up with the pro-choice comment, then made them look like hypocrites.

Rael
03-11-2011, 11:04 AM
No love for Master Of Puppets?

Feeding the Abscess
03-11-2011, 11:15 AM
But Black Album outsold Kill 'em All by a significant margin. It's called dispersion. :)

Yeah, and Black Album spawned a bunch of dreck and dragged metal into the gutter, whereas Kill 'em All pushed Slayer, Possessed, Bathory, Sodom, etc, to go heavier and faster and helped push the metal underground forward creatively.

Point is, Rand's solid, but placing him at the forefront of the liberty movement will stop it dead in its tracks. You just can't have someone saying "maybe we should leave five to ten thousand troops on a base in Afghanistan to fight terrorists" be the standard bearer for liberty. It gives too much wiggle room for those who would come after him to be scumbag establishment politicians; you've got to have someone who isn't willing to move the goalposts to lead.

Don't get me wrong, Rand's an incredible asset, but until he takes on some of Ron's hardline positions he's second string.

Fredom101
03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Sorry, I really hate the expressions:

"Both sides of the aisle."
"Our side of the aisle."
or the worst
"Reach across the aisle."

Opelske
03-11-2011, 12:35 PM

THIS is just badass.

I agree with Rand Paul. He made a great point! Government has overstepped its bounds when it allows the lobbying efforts of manufacturers to change the laws and take away the right to choose something as simple as a product, and continues to do this under the guise of 'energy efficiency,' which is nothing more than lobbying-product-marketing hoopla. Pro-choicers never acknowlege this point. I'm glad he used the analogy. Separate issues yes, but yet they share a common and basic understanding of the ultimate responsibility that belongs to the individual - the acceptance of the consequences (good or bad) of his own choices. Education is the key.

Matt Collins
03-11-2011, 01:27 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Campaign%20VI/Toldja.jpg

trey4sports
03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
You just can't have someone saying "maybe we should leave five to ten thousand troops on a base in Afghanistan to fight terrorists" be the standard bearer for liberty.

That type of rhetoric appeals to conservatives and is the reason Rand got elected in the first place.

AuH20
03-11-2011, 01:50 PM
That type of rhetoric appeals to conservatives and is the reason Rand got elected in the first place.

Another thing is expecting to move public opinion from point A to point C, without a stop at point B. This is a slow gradual process.

Matthew Zak
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
The thing I like most about Rand is that he can say twice as much as his father in the same amount of time, using half the words.

TheeJoeGlass
03-11-2011, 02:19 PM
What took so long? I will never understand the Ron Paul people that do not like Rand.

AuH20
03-11-2011, 02:49 PM
What took so long? I will never understand the Ron Paul people that do not like Rand.

I can't explain it either, unless it's the hardcore liberal-tarians who don't feel comfortable with him. It's not like Rand was raised by wolves and then magically reappeared at his father's side by the time of adulthood. He is his father's son.

Brett85
03-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Another thing is expecting to move public opinion from point A to point C, without a stop at point B. This is a slow gradual process.

Rand also said that he would leave a base there for about 2 years. That's different from saying that we should be involved in the kind of endless war that we're involved in now.

Pericles
03-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Fool me once...

That ^^^ Be the change you want to see happen.

BuddyRey
03-11-2011, 04:18 PM

THIS is just badass.

THAT was so badass I had to Tweet and Facebook it!

Batman
03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
I can't explain it either, unless it's the hardcore liberal-tarians who don't feel comfortable with him. It's not like Rand was raised by wolves and then magically reappeared at his father's side by the time of adulthood. He is his father's son.

Rand was totally raised by wolves. Ron dropped him off in the wilderness. That he came back to his father's side at adulthood is proof of his manliness.

osan
03-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Sorry, I really hate the expressions:

"Both sides of the aisle."
"Our side of the aisle."
or the worst
"Reach across the aisle."

How about "reach across the aisle and bitch slap the motherfuckers into next Tuesday"?

MozoVote
03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Face it, Rand has better delivery than his father. Ron does have a habit of giggling at odd times, and shrugging his shoulders while making pointy-fingers as he speaks. You have to want to pay attention, and take him seriously. Rand *projects* seriousness.

low preference guy
03-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Face it, Rand has better delivery than his father. Ron does have a habit of giggling at odd times, and shrugging his shoulders while making pointy-fingers as he speaks. You have to want to pay attention, and take him seriously. Rand *projects* seriousness.

Ron recently said that Rand is less "rambunctious" than him.

Fredom101
03-11-2011, 07:51 PM
How about "reach across the aisle and bitch slap the motherfuckers into next Tuesday"?

Ok, I'll take it, on either side. ;)

BlackTerrel
03-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Rand is the man. End of story. He reminds me of a Republican Obama - in the way he is climbing the ranks really fast and can bring people from the other side of the aisle to his side.

QueenB4Liberty
03-11-2011, 10:51 PM
wow Rand is on fire. I'm so glad that I trusted him. Just amazing. And hilarious too. hahaha the girl behind him kept laughing.

low preference guy
03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Rand is the man. End of story. He reminds me of a Republican Obama - in the way he is climbing the ranks really fast and can bring people from the other side of the aisle to his side.

Interesting. The last thing Rand reminds me is Obama, a guy without balls who tells people what they wanna hear without any regard for the truth.

Mach
03-12-2011, 12:46 AM

THIS is just badass.

Same as alway, I'm impressed, but I still worry about his foreign policy. Hopefully he is just spoon-feeding some people with it for now.... ;)

That toilet bowl scene was an instant classic. :D

low preference guy
03-12-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm impressed, but I still worry about his foreign policy. Hopefully he is just spoon-feeding some people with it for now.... ;)

Have you read the Tea Party Goes to Washington? It's longest chapter is about foreign policy, and his book recommendations include those from Guiliani's reading list assigned by Ron Paul.

Mach
03-12-2011, 01:46 AM
Have you read the Tea Party Goes to Washington? It's longest chapter is about foreign policy, and his book recommendations include those from Guiliani's reading list assigned by Ron Paul.

No, I haven't read it.... yet.... I'll order it tomorrow, thanks.

By the way, I was searching around for it and have to say, never seen/heard this before.... Josh Lowry interviewed by good old Jack Hunter, having to do with, ronpaulforums. :eek:..... hey 'I know' that dude........

http://www.teapartygoestowashington.com/ (Radio Clips)

Gage
03-12-2011, 02:07 AM

If only more people here had thought this during the election... We would've been even more unstoppable.

Knightskye
03-12-2011, 03:33 AM
That toilet confrontation should get him some media attention.

TheDriver
03-12-2011, 10:52 AM
I thought this "rant" made Rand Paul look like an unprepared asshole wanting to rant about problems, instead of offering solutions. For example: he should have mentioned he favors abolishing the department, lol.

Batman
03-12-2011, 02:42 PM
He did give a solution. It was rejected. He was giving a lecture about their inability to come to grips with the scope of the problem. Until he addresses that he can't really help anyone.

doodle
03-12-2011, 03:06 PM
That was very good speech. Clear message and to the point. Ron has raised a good man.

Both parties have failed America because not much difference between them.

anaconda
03-12-2011, 05:35 PM

THIS is just badass.

Yep..I think there's no doubt that he's going for the jugular in every imaginable way. I wish he would have just put one bumper sticker in here about the free market utilizing production resources most efficiently and that consumers will seek out the products they like that are cheaper to operate or cheaper to buy. Rand is blazing far beyond what I expected. After this rant and all the laughter I wonder if he's going to become a leader rather than the nemesis that I figured he would be. I have a funny feeling we will see him in this year's presidential debates/

anaconda
03-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Same as alway, I'm impressed, but I still worry about his foreign policy. Hopefully he is just spoon-feeding some people with it for now.... ;)

That toilet bowl scene was an instant classic. :D

I'm confident that his foreign policy will be as anti bureaucrat as his toilet and light bulb policy. He had to tread delicately on that one to ensure getting elected. He didn't make any promises on foreign policy. He's good to go. This is gonna be a fun and wild ride! Contribution money well spent!

anaconda
03-12-2011, 05:53 PM
He did give a solution. It was rejected. He was giving a lecture about their inability to come to grips with the scope of the problem. Until he addresses that he can't really help anyone.

I do wish he would have used about 20 or 30 seconds of that time to throw in some bumper sticker about how the free market utilizes all of the precious resources of production far more efficiently than bureaucrats and that consumers will conserve energy by purchasing the products they like that are also cheapest to operate and cheapest to buy. And that allowing them to buy the wasteful ones will send the price information to the market, telling entrepreneurs to allocate investment to alternatives.

anaconda
03-12-2011, 05:57 PM
I can feel the establishment becoming genuinely afraid of Rand. I think he has absolutely blind sided them. I also cannot help but think he is inspiring a whole lot of people. I think he will inspire more voters to vote for candidates like himself and I think that he will inspire some colleagues to become patriots and perhaps actually "cure their apathy." I can see it now: Senators putting bumper stickers on their cars that read "Rand Paul Cured My Apathy!"

Batman
03-12-2011, 07:57 PM
No disrespect to Ron, but Rand is a huge inspiration to me. The man is Presidential. He's not afraid to get aggressive when the time calls for it and that is really heroic.