PDA

View Full Version : I voted against a prohibition bill today, sole "NO" vote,

GunnyFreedom
03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Possibly would have been 1 of 10 NO votes had I done a floor speech, but with 99.4% support, the floor speech is less important at this early stage of my career, than is setting up a record distinct from my colleagues.

I got more mileage from educating my fellow Republicans AFTER the vote (why I voted that way) than I would have with a floor speech in any case.

SB 7 ADD CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES (http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011&BillID=S7).

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011&BillID=S7

Rael
03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Kudos to you. What was this one trying to ban, K2?

cswake
03-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Meph...

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/Senate/HTML/S7v0.html

dannno
03-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Kudos to you. What was this one trying to ban, K2?

Yes, K2 and similar chemicals along with Methylenedioxypyrovalerone (the bath salt meth stuff) and Mephedrone which is similar to coke/speed/MDMA

Carehn
03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Most Savage! Love the "NO", big fan. You are a champion!

Jeremy
03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
How did it feel?

JoshLowry
03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Wear it like a badge of honor!

:cool:

Brett85
03-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Meph...

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/Senate/HTML/S7v0.html

What drug is that similar to?

Koz
03-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Gunny Freedom, Champion of Liberty

Put it in your signature.

trey4sports
03-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Way to go GUNNY!

Sola_Fide
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Possibly would have been 1 of 10 NO votes had I done a floor speech, but with 99.4% support, the floor speech is less important at this early stage of my career, than is setting up a record distinct from my colleagues.

I got more mileage from educating my fellow Republicans AFTER the vote (why I voted that way) than I would have with a floor speech in any case.

SB 7 ADD CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES (http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011&BillID=S7).

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011&BillID=S7

The next Ron Paul, folks^^^

ihsv
03-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Congrats and well done!

GunnyFreedom
03-10-2011, 08:41 PM
My FB comment:

I voted against Senate Bill 7 (= H13) "Add Controlled Substances" today, one to 110 for adoption.

I voted on the principle that whenever we have tried prohibition in America or around the world, it has without fail made the problem worse, not better. Having researched the problem I have yet to find one instance where a prohibitionary policy has led to a drug or alcohol crisis improving. Not once.

No question this K2 stuff is poison, but 8 months later we'll have K3 that's twice as poisonous and four times as addictive. So we ban that and a year later were dealing with K4.

It's never worked before, what makes anybody think it's going to work this time? It just doesn't work, and if we are going to be serious about putting an end to drug use, abuse, and addiction (as I am) then we need to find another way.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
I love your no vote and I agree with first paragraph reasoning.

No question this K2 stuff is poison

Actually, there is plenty of academic disagreement regarding the safety of those substances. It is surely not clear they are harmful. Some may be. Some may not be. There's no reason to vilify them. There are many reasons to investigate them.

GunnyFreedom
03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
I love your no vote and I agree with first paragraph reasoning.

Actually, there is plenty of academic disagreement regarding the safety of those substances. It is surely not clear they are harmful. Some may be. Some may not be. There's no reason to vilify them. There are many reasons to investigate them.

K2 does not equal all synthetic cannibinoids but this bill does. Also, without a hat-tip people won't open the door. Plus, I had three M-MJ patients testify about the current synth-c market and the poisonous nature of these products as it now stands.

TruckinMike
03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
I voted against a prohibition bill today, sole "NO" vote
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2217/1502809196_4d7651e66f_m.jpg

Go Gunny!!

TMike

QueenB4Liberty
03-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Good job!

NYgs23
03-10-2011, 09:22 PM
It should be simple enough that people have an absolute right to own, buy, sell, and ingest whatever substances they choose.

Brett85
03-10-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't think that I could run on a platform of legalizing drugs and actually win in my district. I'm certainly not from a libertarian district.

GunnyFreedom
03-10-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't think that I could run on a platform of legalizing drugs and actually win in my district. I'm certainly not from a libertarian district.

Nor am I, but I think I can own the debate behind this amongst social conservatives.

Brett85
03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Nor am I, but I think I can own the debate behind this amongst social conservatives.

Did you openly talk about ending drug prohibition during your campaign? Did the issue ever come up? I've thought about running for office before, but I'm opposed to drug prohibition as well, and I don't think that would go over well in my district.

Chester Copperpot
03-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Thats awesome..

Hey yeah these singular 'NO' votes should be worn as badges of honor.. Like everytime youre the sole no vote you should get a stripe on your sleeve or something.. how cool would that be.. just gotta think of a cool name for it now and design.

trey4sports
03-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Did you openly talk about ending drug prohibition during your campaign? Did the issue ever come up? I've thought about running for office before, but I'm opposed to drug prohibition as well, and I don't think that would go over well in my district.

I don't know if America is ready to end the drug war yet but I think if you're from a red district and want to win an election you're best bet would be to frame the discussion as a states right issue (if you're running for national office) and if you're running for state office I guess you pretty much have to take the plunge and begin the education process

Brett85
03-10-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't know if America is ready to end the drug war yet but I think if you're from a red district and want to win an election you're best bet would be to frame the discussion as a states right issue (if you're running for national office) and if you're running for state office I guess you pretty much have to take the plunge and begin the education process

Yeah, I would frame it as a states' rights issue if I ever ran for national office. But if I ever ran for state representative I would probably have to be honest about my true beliefs. But I would certainly never bring it up if nobody asked me about it.

BlackTerrel
03-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Good for you. Way to stick to your principles!

GunnyFreedom
03-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I would frame it as a states' rights issue if I ever ran for national office. But if I ever ran for state representative I would probably have to be honest about my true beliefs. But I would certainly never bring it up if nobody asked me about it.

Actually, it did come up during the Halifax County Black Caucus during the campaign. I went to Ron Paul's talking point about how Black Americans make up 14% of drug users but 50% of drug convictions. If we had a freedom rights act instead of a voting rights act, we wouldn't put so many people in jail.

Other than that it didn't really come up, but I had made it a point to let some people know even then.

In any case, as a lone dissenter I am a 'safe' anti-prohibitionist who can be afforded a platform. It will only become worrisome if we start coming closer to that magical 50% line.

GunnyFreedom
03-10-2011, 11:15 PM
How did it feel?

LOL like being a philosopher amongst a pack of monkies.

libertarian4321
03-11-2011, 05:33 AM
But prohibition has been so successful, how could you vote against it? :)

aGameOfThrones
03-11-2011, 06:09 AM
You're...http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wD6HOe8GdPc/TXMvF0ZK4uI/AAAAAAAABmc/iN71YkAp_8M/s400/Charlie-Sheen-Winning-Poster.jpg

eduardo89
03-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Lone no vote? How Ron Paul-esque!

GunnyFreedom
03-11-2011, 06:25 AM
It's my third such sole vote this session, plus one 114-2 where I was on the side of 2.

GunnyFreedom
03-11-2011, 06:29 AM
and the guy I was on "2" with I'm tied at 6 for votes against the majority.