PDA

View Full Version : Military increasing enforcement of draft registration?

cindy25
03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_the_us_military_sending_out_draft_registrat ion_letters_my_son_just_got_one_today_03-08-2011

Why is the us military sending out draft registration letters

bkreigh
03-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Not much info on this person but my first thought was that because her son just turned 18. If thats the case then its not an earth shattering discovery.

Yes that was me that answered the question. A question with minimal information gets a stupid answer.

Vessol
03-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Eh, I registered for the draft back in 08 when I got out of High School and almost joined the Army. Is it normal for them to send out letters requesting draft registration?

Philhelm
03-09-2011, 10:14 PM
By law, all U.S. males must fill out the Selective Service form. It doesn't imply that a conscription is in effect (yet).

Danke
03-09-2011, 10:19 PM
By law, all U.S. males must fill out the Selective Service form. It doesn't imply that a conscription is in effect (yet).

Another good reason not to be a U.S. male.

Vessol
03-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Another good reason not to be a U.S. male.

Is this why you've added a Princess to your username Danke? Trying to avoid the draft I see! You bad person you!

Danke
03-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Is this why you've added a Princess to your username Danke? Trying to avoid the draft I see! You bad person you!

No, that addition is just from one of Josh's many "unusual" fantasies.

Not worried about the draft. I was in the military over 12+ years with over 100 combat missions.

AFPVet
03-09-2011, 10:51 PM
I was in the military over 12+ years with over 100 combat missions.

Thank you for your service!

qh4dotcom
03-09-2011, 11:09 PM
No, that addition is just from one of Josh's many "unusual" fantasies.

Not worried about the draft. I was in the military over 12+ years with over 100 combat missions.

Did you kill any innocent civilian in any of those 100+ combat missions?

Kludge
03-09-2011, 11:16 PM
@ 18 two years ago, I was also sent a letter. If you receive one and are paranoid about the unenforced punishment, make sure to send your SS registration in physically, not digitally, so you can mark your objection in case you are ever drafted.

cindy25
03-09-2011, 11:33 PM
I was just surprised that someone got a reminder letter. If they already have someone's data the whole registration process is redundant. if a previously unenforced law is suddenly enforced then something is fishy.

Kludge
03-09-2011, 11:35 PM
I was just surprised that someone got a reminder letter. If they already have someone's data the whole registration process is redundant. if a previously unenforced law is suddenly enforced then something is fishy.
I think they get them from school registries. Not sure.

South Park Fan
03-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Hasn't it been decades since someone actually got prosecuted for failing to register for the SS? The only possible reason I could see for doing it is so that one can renew one's driver's license, if you live in a state where that is a requirement.

heavenlyboy34
03-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Hasn't it been decades since someone actually got prosecuted for failing to register for the SS? The only possible reason I could see for doing it is so that one can renew one's driver's license, if you live in a state where that is a requirement.

You also have to register with SS to get a federal college loan, FWIW.

Danke
03-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Did you kill any innocent civilian in any of those 100+ combat missions?

Why? Is this some morbid fascination? Would you like me to send photos?

libertarian4321
03-11-2011, 05:47 AM
It's no big deal. They've been sending out notifications for 18-year olds to register for selective service for decades.

I got one in 1981, when I turned 18.

If you don't register, you can be denied college loans and other programs.

I outsmarted the government, though. Rather than taking a chance on being drafted, I volunteered :) .

South Park Fan
03-11-2011, 05:16 PM
You also have to register with SS to get a federal college loan, FWIW.

That's just another reason not to rely on the government for tuition.

AFPVet
03-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Military service should always be voluntary. If you want to have your college paid for and receive transferable experience (some branches) then go for it.

I just do not see how the draft can be allowed.

Pericles
03-11-2011, 06:14 PM
It's no big deal. They've been sending out notifications for 18-year olds to register for selective service for decades.

I outsmarted the government, though. Rather than taking a chance on being drafted, I volunteered :) .

I didn't register either. So, one day I get a letter with the usual threats about what would happen to me if I didn't register. I photocopied my Army ID card and sent the photocopy back with the letter they sent in the postage paid envelope. I have had no further contact with SS.

oyarde
03-12-2011, 12:52 PM

Yeah , I was already in when I got my notice , been in close to a year. I never filled one out .