PDA

View Full Version : 1/3rd of Americans on welfare?!?!?

Matt Collins
03-09-2011, 01:08 PM
is this really true?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

1/3rd of Americans are really on some sort of welfare?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVWfbycGgys&feature=channel_video_title

Sola_Fide
03-09-2011, 01:27 PM
I was in driving listening to Rush Limbaugh for the fun of it, and I heard his piss-poor response to this today. He basically affirmed the entire system of redistribution of wealth, but just wants to cut back on the "fraud" in the system...in true Buckleyite form. It's hard to believe many conservatives out there think he is defending the "free market"...

OrigSEOH
03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
I've been unemployed for 2 years, single male parent of 2...outside of under the table odd jobs. When I was working, making ~$28,000 a year, totaling reverse tax credits + child care assistance probably equates to a higher cost to the taxpayer than what we get now...food stamps (They give us way to much...we have a running balance of well over a $1,000, we grow most of our food and kill deer, donate food to struggling family members), medicaid we don't use and doctors won't take around here, and Pell Grants for my schooling. I've applied for over a 100 different jobs and nothing, not even a phone call. Nevertheless, the last time I checked it was around $50,000 a year to get off the reverse tax credits and pay 100% of childcare cost. I bet it is more than 35%...

Vessol
03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Everyone's clambering to get a share of the floundering boat.

I hold no ill will to those on welfare, just don't defend the system and understand what it really is.

Welfare is gunpoint charity. The money used to fund it and every other government program is taken involuntarily from otherwise peaceful individuals, with threats of violence if they refuse.

Matt Collins
03-09-2011, 02:17 PM
I've been unemployed for 2 years, single male parent of 2...outside of under the table odd jobs. When I was working, making ~$28,000 a year, totaling reverse tax credits + child care assistance probably equates to a higher cost to the taxpayer than what we get now...food stamps (They give us way to much...we have a running balance of well over a $1,000, we grow most of our food and kill deer, donate food to struggling family members), medicaid we don't use and doctors won't take around here, and Pell Grants for my schooling. I've applied for over a 100 different jobs and nothing, not even a phone call. Nevertheless, the last time I checked it was around $50,000 a year to get off the reverse tax credits and pay 100% of childcare cost. I bet it is more than 35%...
Wow..

What kind of work do you do?

OrigSEOH
03-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Wow..

What kind of work do you do?

Construction for 15+ year, rode the bubble I suppose, for all it was worth. I'm one class away from a associates degree in Network Systems Administration and about a year away from a bachelors in Computer Science. lol, hopefully I can find a real job here soon so I can pay off that insane debt.

Wesker1982
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
300 Million Souls Escape Poverty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1CUJtXPgU

Zippyjuan
03-09-2011, 03:06 PM
The article I read http://www.cnbc.com/id/41969508/ says that 35% of all wages (not necessarily people though it is probably not too far off from that number too) came from some form of government pay. The bigges part of this is Social Security. It also included Medicare and unemployment payments.

Government payouts—including Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance—make up more than a third of total wages and salaries of the U.S. population, a record figure that will only increase if action isn’t taken before the majority of Baby Boomers enter retirement.

Even as the economy has recovered, social welfare benefits make up 35 percent of wages and salaries this year, up from 21 percent in 2000 and 10 percent in 1960, according to TrimTabs Investment Research using Bureau of Economic Analysis data.

“The U.S. economy has become alarmingly dependent on government stimulus,” said Madeline Schnapp, director of Macroeconomic Research at TrimTabs, in a note to clients. “Consumption supported by wages and salaries is a much stronger foundation for economic growth than consumption based on social welfare benefits.”

acptulsa
03-09-2011, 03:15 PM
You know, the thing no one talks about is how many companies (McDonald's comes to mind--hardly in need of corporate charity) benefit from things like food stamps because it allows them to pay something less than a living wage without having all their employees say, hey, I can starve without being driven like a slave first. This is but one type of liberal enablement of corporate psychosis, but maybe this is one of the best ways to point this out. We feed minimum wage workers so their employers don't have to.

Vessol
03-09-2011, 03:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6G1rq5LdA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U4R36WjFCI
(make sure to watch parts 3 and 4)

Zippyjuan
03-09-2011, 03:25 PM
I had heard that the Walmart employment offices have somebody there to help get their employees signed up for welfare.

Article from Florida but other states make the same claim:
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/25/State/Lured_employers_now_t.shtml

Wal-Mart Corp., which is getting millions of dollars in state incentives to create jobs in Florida, has more employees and family members enrolled in Medicaid than any company in the state.

The giant retailer, which has 91,000 full-time and part-time employees in Florida, has about 12,300 workers or dependents eligible for Medicaid, the growing health care program for the poor and the elderly.

According to figures released Thursday by Florida's Department of Children and Families, Wal-Mart and four other large companies that receive state incentives have an estimated 29,900 employees or their family members enrolled in Medicaid.