PDA

View Full Version : Save our Country and the GOP and cut fuel prices in HALF!!!!!!! Ron Paul 2012

speciallyblend
03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Legalize Hemp, Seriously this is NO JOKE!!! Now lets debate cheaper gas;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfv7-Xl3K9U

for the close and open minded folks, if we were to legalize hemp, the pollens of the hemp plant would pollinate outdoor female plants(basically turning them into arkansas ditchweed). Growers would have to take alot of precautions and mainly move indoors where hemp growing was going on!!! This would eradicate the local,state and federal funding for the failed drug war on marijuana;)

SAVE THE GOP, SAVE OUR COUNTRY RON PAUL 2012!!!!!!!!

speciallyblend
03-09-2011, 09:11 PM
until the gop pulls their head out of their own ass they will deserve to lose again and again and should!!! this is going to be a very big issue! for anyone wanting to avoid this issue . they can only blame themselves for ignoring facts and science and common sense. i am beginning to think the gop deserves to lose when the answers are right in front of them. Legalize Hemp, but that would mean the gop would have to stop sucking the oil industrys tool!!

speciallyblend
03-10-2011, 01:23 PM
tired of high gas prices yet?? grow your own hemp,make your own clothes use the raw materials and make fuel!!

Lucille
03-10-2011, 02:03 PM
LRC: Ron Paul: Legalize Hemp! (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/81937.html)

Mother Jones: Hemp is a natural, eco-friendly fiber with a wide range of industrial uses, none of which involve getting high. So why has Congress been treating it like an illegal drug?

Ron Paul: Because they don't have any common sense and they don't know what they are talking about [Heh. Isn't that always the way? -L] and it's sort of an hysterical reaction to the drug war. If they had any sense at all they would just legalize it like it was for most of our history. So it is rather bizarre.

MJ: Your son, the freshman senator Rand Paul, also supports legalizing hemp. But why don't more of his colleagues in the Tea Party Caucus, which is supposed to stand for getting government out of the way of economic growth?

RP: I think they are intimidated because they've built up this idea that it's related to drugs. I mean, it was a consequence of the drug war that this happened. But it just doesn't make any sense. So I don't know. I do my best. I introduced legislation. We talk about it a lot. And it would be an economic benefit to all of us to have it. Why should we allow products to be made in Canada and then we buy the products made out of hemp and they come back into the United States?

It would be a good crop. If we really needed ethanol, maybe ethanol from hemp might be beneficial. But no, we subsidize one thing and make the other stuff that might be useful illegal. So I hope someday that the people wake up, because the Congress is asleep. They assume that that the average person supports the idea that hemp should be illegal. But quite frankly, I think the average person doesn't know. If they knew more about it, they would support my position of legalizing it.

Zippyjuan
03-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Lets say you do want to replace all of our gasoline for automobiles from hemp. How much would you need? I will be making some assumptions but this will give you some idea.

First- how much oil do we consume in gasoline? We consume seven billion barrels of oil and two thirds of that is made into gas for our cars. That comes out to 4.7 billion barrels. There are 48 gallons in a barrel or 226 billion gallons of oil going to gasoline. Now for my first big assumption- that a barrel of hemp oil is comparable to a barrel of petroleum in terms of the amount of gasoline it can produce.

Next- how much hemp oil can you get from an acre of land? This site http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html says 38 gallons per acre. So we need 226 billion gallons and get 38 out of an acre- that means that if you want to replace our gasoline from petroleum with gasoline from hemp you will need six billion acres of land producing hemp.

Which brings me to my next question- how many acres do we have available? The entire land mass of the whole United States is only 2.3 billiion acres. http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/EIB14/ OOps. Nowhere near enough. You could plant every square inch of the country- every house, every farm, every mountain, desert, lake, city, etc. and only be able to replace about one third of our gasoline consumption with hemp. Cropland is only 442 million acres. You would need 13.5 times that much space designated as only hemp- replacing all of our domestic food production.

Sorry- not going to be able to save the world that way.

Not to say that hemp does not have good qualities. But it is definately oversold if you intend to use it to replace our oil consumption.

Danke
03-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Lets say you do want to replace all of our gasoline for automobiles from hemp. How much would you need? I will be making some assumptions but this will give you some idea.

*snip*

I think you miss an important point. Legalize it and think how many people would just sit at home watching wacky Youtubes and the Onion Newz, etc. instead of driving and consuming all that oil.

Fox McCloud
03-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I already calculated this out a very long time ago (try finding my post, if you can; I don't feel like looking for it! x3); the numbers had a bit more positive outlook than Zippy's, but not by a large enough margin for it to be viable; as I also pointed out, even if was incredibly viable, farmers would still have to be drawn to it over traditional food crops---that is to say, raising hemp, for oil, would have to be more economically viable than raising food for them to engage in it.

I fully support legalizing it and removing the subsidies oil companies get (and any other energy companies, alternative included), along with mandates (such as MPG ratings, ethanol fuel, etc), so the marketplace can arrive at the true price for gasoline and the best form of energy....but I'm not fully convinced it would pick somethign other than oil (for now).

Koz
03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
I think you miss an important point. Legalize it and think how many people would just sit at home watching wacky Youtubes and the Onion Newz, etc. instead of driving and consuming all that oil.

You could smoke 10 lbs of hemp and it won't get you high. It has no THC.

It should be legalized. It has thousands of uses. Unfortunately none of them is getting someone high.

speciallyblend
03-10-2011, 05:48 PM

First- how much oil do we consume in gasoline? We consume seven billion barrels of oil and two thirds of that is made into gas for our cars. That comes out to 4.7 billion barrels. There are 48 gallons in a barrel or 226 billion gallons of oil going to gasoline. Now for my first big assumption- that a barrel of hemp oil is comparable to a barrel of petroleum in terms of the amount of gasoline it can produce.

Next- how much hemp oil can you get from an acre of land? This site http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html says 38 gallons per acre. So we need 226 billion gallons and get 38 out of an acre- that means that if you want to replace our gasoline from petroleum with gasoline from hemp you will need six billion acres of land producing hemp.

Which brings me to my next question- how many acres do we have available? The entire land mass of the whole United States is only 2.3 billiion acres. http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/EIB14/ OOps. Nowhere near enough. You could plant every square inch of the country- every house, every farm, every mountain, desert, lake, city, etc. and only be able to replace about one third of our gasoline consumption with hemp. Cropland is only 442 million acres. You would need 13.5 times that much space designated as only hemp- replacing all of our domestic food production.

Not to say that hemp does not have good qualities. But it is definately oversold if you intend to use it to replace our oil consumption.

mmmyeah ,then why bother!! let it all crash and burn then! maybe i am wrong but i do not think i said save the world!!
ever heard of alternative choice of fuel. Stop the silly word or nit picking with words games you seem to want to play!! I do not think anyone said it would solve everything and anything! Hemp for victory, and hemp has many uses and gives folks many alternatives to oil and many more products!! It is not all about oil and you know this ,so i feel like your really just being a pain! One crop can do more then just make fuel!! I guess i could write a novel then have you proof it so you want play these silly games!!

123tim
03-10-2011, 05:49 PM
(......massive snip)

Not that I disagree with a single word that you said......I just wanted to state that I'm sitting next to about 200 acres of farmland that the government is paying for in order to sit idle. Sort of ironic.

Danke
03-10-2011, 05:55 PM
You could smoke 10 lbs of hemp and it won't get you high. It has no THC.

It should be legalized. It has thousands of uses. Unfortunately none of them is getting someone high.

Did I forget the smiley face? Knowing Kenny, I'm sure this is more than about just industrial hemp...:D

speciallyblend
03-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Did I forget the smiley face? Knowing Kenny, I'm sure this is more than about just industrial hemp...:D

not really, to bo honest not one law on female marijuana has ever stopped me from toking, after 75 yrs of lies and me toking when i want to . I could give a rats ass what the gov does on legal or illegal marijuana! hehe This is all about hemp! We already changed the laws in colorado and still are! Princess danke and the rest of rpf. i want to make this very clear:) legal or illegal not one dam law will ever stop me from having some butter and some green eggs and ham;) I think it is great we are changing laws on medical personal and hemp but not one law againt it will ever make me gooo ooo i think i won't smoke a joint!! just sayin:)

as i keep saying the funny part is if the anti-marijuana folks really wanted to stop outdoor female marijuana growing. then they would legalize hemp,but that would eradicate the funding for the failed drug war;) that is the main point!!

Koz
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
+ Rep

123tim
03-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Hemp for Victory - WWII government film:
http://www.archive.org/details/Hemp_for_victory_1942

speciallyblend
03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I already calculated this out a very long time ago (try finding my post, if you can; I don't feel like looking for it! x3); the numbers had a bit more positive outlook than Zippy's, but not by a large enough margin for it to be viable; as I also pointed out, even if was incredibly viable, farmers would still have to be drawn to it over traditional food crops---that is to say, raising hemp, for oil, would have to be more economically viable than raising food for them to engage in it.

I fully support legalizing it and removing the subsidies oil companies get (and any other energy companies, alternative included), along with mandates (such as MPG ratings, ethanol fuel, etc), so the marketplace can arrive at the true price for gasoline and the best form of energy....but I'm not fully convinced it would pick somethign other than oil (for now).

i think your missing another point, the crop making fuel is also used to make many more products other then fuel. it is not like the crop is just used to make fuel end of story!! did you calculate all the raw materials and the uses that come from that crop other then fuel?? That one crop has multiple uses that can be used from that crop as a hemp plant. fuel and much more can be extracted from the plant in a crop!! hemp seed, various other hemp oils and fiber and afew more things i would have to research for you!!

speciallyblend
03-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Not that I disagree with a single word that you said......I just wanted to state that I'm sitting next to about 200 acres of farmland that the government is paying for in order to sit idle. Sort of ironic.

they also didn't tell you that one crop for the fuel also has many more products being used other then fuel so his whole post is incorrect by assessing it is only grown for fuel. It has multiple purposes and uses within the one crop other then just fuel!!

Danke
03-10-2011, 06:26 PM
not really, to bo honest not one law on female marijuana has ever stopped me from toking, after 75 yrs of lies and me toking when i want to . I could give a rats ass what the gov does on legal or illegal marijuana! hehe This is all about hemp! We already changed the laws in colorado and still are! Princess danke and the rest of rpf. i want to make this very clear:) legal or illegal not one dam law will ever stop me from having some butter and some green eggs and ham;) I think it is great we are changing laws on medical personal and hemp but not one law againt it will ever make me gooo ooo i think i won't smoke a joint!! just sayin:)

as i keep saying the funny part is if the anti-marijuana folks really wanted to stop outdoor female marijuana growing. then they would legalize hemp,but that would eradicate the funding for the failed drug war;) that is the main point!!

So you had no problems carrying ganja through security going to CPAC? Wouldn't you like it decriminalized/legalized for such occasions?

speciallyblend
03-10-2011, 06:28 PM
So you had no problems carrying ganja through security going to CPAC? Wouldn't you like it decriminalized/legalized for such occasions?

actually not one problem;) except security at the hotel but once they saw my medical card .they showed me where i could smoke my marijuana and told me to stay on hotel property and i would be fine:) but if i stepped of their property they couldn't protect me!!

Danke
03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
actually not one problem;) except security at the hotel but once they saw my medical card .they showed me where i could smoke my marijuana and told me to stay on hotel property and i would be fine:) but if i stepped of their property they couldn't protect me!!

Well good for you. Keep it illegal then. I do see drug sniffing dogs occasionally at the airports, so if you were carrying, consider yourself lucky.

speciallyblend
03-10-2011, 06:31 PM

i would like it legal and decrim which it is in colorado but it is totally legal to own grow and possess with a medical card, but after 75 yrs of bs i careless anymore!! not one law for or against will ever stop me from doing what i want when i want! I am so over the us gov and their bs policies!! I cannot speak for the rest of the country , i live in the united states of colorado!!

speciallyblend
03-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Well good for you. Keep it illegal then. I do see drug sniffing dogs occasionally at the airports, so if you were carrying, consider yourself lucky.

i would never think of bringing legal drugs into an airport!! like i trust tsa ha!!

speciallyblend
03-10-2011, 06:43 PM

come on danke, i have helped change laws and i still do,but the bottom line is if the fools keeping marijuana illegal cannot wake the f up, then f them!!

i know full well what bad laws do to folks, i lost my lisc for 1 yr because i was walking down a street and a friend decided to pee in an alley. i wasn't in the alley or doing anything but the cop stopped us after he was with me again and proceeded to search both of us! I had a tiny burnt roach in a small jean pocket that was probably there for yrs and washed etc etc, I ended up not having a driver lisc for almost 6-7 yrs until i paid the goddamn fine! so believe me i do not like the laws in virginia let alone the rest of the country but i can tell you i helped change that goddamn law in VA before i moved to colorado!!

Zippyjuan
03-11-2011, 01:59 PM
mmmyeah ,then why bother!! let it all crash and burn then! maybe i am wrong but i do not think i said save the world!!
ever heard of alternative choice of fuel. Stop the silly word or nit picking with words games you seem to want to play!! I do not think anyone said it would solve everything and anything! Hemp for victory, and hemp has many uses and gives folks many alternatives to oil and many more products!! It is not all about oil and you know this ,so i feel like your really just being a pain! One crop can do more then just make fuel!! I guess i could write a novel then have you proof it so you want play these silly games!!

Let me quote the beginning of the video posted.

"Hemp could actually save the world. In a flash moment it came to him- that virtually everything currently made from trees and petroleum could insted be made from hemp. That not a single tree would ever have to be cut down to make paper. That clean burning fuel would now be made from biomass from the abundant hemp plant. This new fuel will be in cars, factories, and even provide heat for our homes. Jack pictured a world saved from pollution, acid rain, global warming and deforestation.

The video claims that hemp can provide "virtually all of the world's energy needs", "eliminating our dependence on oil." It can't. There isn't enough land to be able to produce enough energy from hemp to achieve that.

Acala
03-11-2011, 02:12 PM

The video claims that hemp can provide "virtually all of the world's energy needs".

Well, maybe they let their enthusiasm get the better of them.:D

But it is a DAMN useful plant. I'm not a big advocate of using good farm land to grow fuel for cars, but hemp rope and fabric are excellent, and hemp oil and seed are nutritious. The left overs can be used for fuel. And no pesticides are required.

When it comes to energy, I'll place my bet on nuclear.

Fox McCloud
03-11-2011, 02:23 PM
i think your missing another point, the crop making fuel is also used to make many more products other then fuel. it is not like the crop is just used to make fuel end of story!! did you calculate all the raw materials and the uses that come from that crop other then fuel?? That one crop has multiple uses that can be used from that crop as a hemp plant. fuel and much more can be extracted from the plant in a crop!! hemp seed, various other hemp oils and fiber and afew more things i would have to research for you!!

Red herring; the original point you made was that we should legalize it to stop using coil/cut dependence etc.

Yes, I'm aware that there are other uses, yes, I support it being legalized (as well as removing any and all energy subsidies/mandates/etc), but again, that wasn't your original point.

Hemp just doesn't work well, as a fuel--we don't have enough land to make it viable.

speciallyblend
03-12-2011, 09:43 PM

The video claims that hemp can provide "virtually all of the world's energy needs", "eliminating our dependence on oil." It can't. There isn't enough land to be able to produce enough energy from hemp to achieve that.

ok let us put it in simple terms for you. you can pay 4-5 dollars a gallon, i will perfer to choose hemp fuel over gasoline! which would be cheaper not to mention the one crop can also produce raw materials on top of the fuel and put nutrients in the ground and many more from the one crop producing the fuel, not to mention it would make it harder to grow female marijuana outdoors eliminating the drug war funding to eradicate marijuana!!

you guys have gotta take the blinders off! you are not factoring in anything but fuel which is your huge mistake!! did you factor in the savings of billions of dollars a year in savings from the eradicated marijuana funding no longer needed once industrial hemp is produced! do you guys understand we fined farmers in ww2 if they didn't grow marijuana aka hemp?? you guys seem to look at this one sided when it is not!!

speciallyblend
03-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Red herring; the original point you made was that we should legalize it to stop using coil/cut dependence etc.

Yes, I'm aware that there are other uses, yes, I support it being legalized (as well as removing any and all energy subsidies/mandates/etc), but again, that wasn't your original point.

Hemp just doesn't work well, as a fuel--we don't have enough land to make it viable.

original point was to give an alternative fuel that is cheaper then gas;) the original point to counter your points is the one crop has more uses then just fuel . it can also produce raw materials from the same crop used to produce fuel , try putting those in your equation along with the nutrients put into the ground for the next crop hemp or food!! it is a bigger picture then just fuel but since you want to focus on fuel . i should have the choice to use hemp fuel as an alternative to higher priced gasoline. that alone is worth it. you guys seem to ignore the multiple uses that one crop can be used for on top of the fuel!! so your equations are flawed and false!! did you factor in the costs to put nutrients into the ground on most crops?

heavenlyboy34
03-12-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm all for legalizing hemp, but not for saving the GOP.

speciallyblend
03-12-2011, 09:55 PM

if i want to grow hemp and produce fuel at a cheaper cost then oil or gas. then what is the problem sir?:) if i have the land and want to grow hemp and make my own fuel? what is the problem sir? that is my point!! my point was we should have the option and it wil help curb the gas problem! My point was non of you are factoring in the secondary uses of the one crop used to make the fuel! In other words your not adding up all the benefits that are included in the fuel crop and its many uses for raw materials coming off the one crop!! it is not like your growing one crop and it gets used for fuel only. there are many other uses from materials after the fuel has been processed. for example the root systems and stalk not used is great for nutrients for the land and other crops! Then there are other parts of the hemp plant not used for fuel that can be process for food and many more uses! so the idea that you guys have done your research and added this all up? is total nonsense. did you factor in the secondary uses of the one crop after the fuel has been made? i do not think so!!

speciallyblend
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm all for legalizing hemp, but not for saving the GOP.

i guess you always have the lp and bob barr;)

speciallyblend
03-12-2011, 10:15 PM

ok so your still playing word games silly stuff. so if i have the option to buy hemp fuel and at far cheaper prices then gasoline. wouldn't that be eliminating my dependence on gasoline and giving me an option for hemp fuel? i think so!! if i said the sky appeared blue. you would say it is not blue enough to be called appearing blue!!

Fox McCloud
03-12-2011, 11:38 PM
ok so your still playing word games silly stuff. so if i have the option to buy hemp fuel and at far cheaper prices then gasoline. wouldn't that be eliminating my dependence on gasoline and giving me an option for hemp fuel? i think so!! if i said the sky appeared blue. you would say it is not blue enough to be called appearing blue!!

What? No.

His point is, we don't have enough land to replace oil consumption with hemp consumption--it would still be a mix of gasoline and/or hemp. This, defacto, means that hemp would cost more, per gallon, than gasoline.

You'd be free to choose it if you wanted to, but would you still choose it if it was 25-50% more than regular gasoline?

Icymudpuppy
03-12-2011, 11:58 PM
I have enough acreage that I could produce all MY own fuel and still have enough land left over to grow all the other crops I'd need to survive. The Hemp oil would power my tractors, combines, trucks, and generators.

I'm already keeping my F-250, my Yanmar tractor, and my generator fueled with Veggie oil. Hemp seed oil would just be a much better source than what I have now.

speciallyblend
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
What? No.

His point is, we don't have enough land to replace oil consumption with hemp consumption--it would still be a mix of gasoline and/or hemp. This, defacto, means that hemp would cost more, per gallon, than gasoline.

You'd be free to choose it if you wanted to, but would you still choose it if it was 25-50% more than regular gasoline?

i would be making my own fuel with hemp so not sure how you got it more expensive then gasoline!!

Bman
03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
tired of high gas prices yet?? grow your own hemp,make your own clothes use the raw materials and make fuel!!

You have a detailed links/video's on how this can be accomplished? I'd sure love to send that type of information around.

Fox McCloud
03-13-2011, 04:44 PM
i would be making my own fuel with hemp so not sure how you got it more expensive then gasoline!!

if you're making it yourself, that's fine, but again, this wasn't your original point---you were attempting to make it sound viable for the entire US...which...it simply isn't.

Also, if you're making it yourself, you have to factor in something else; comparative advantage. Which will make you more money? Using X amount of acres+X amount of time to raise so much hemp for fuel, or to just buy gasoline and raise some other crop (or do some other job). It's not black and white.

speciallyblend
03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
if you're making it yourself, that's fine, but again, this wasn't your original point---you were attempting to make it sound viable for the entire US...which...it simply isn't.

Also, if you're making it yourself, you have to factor in something else; comparative advantage. Which will make you more money? Using X amount of acres+X amount of time to raise so much hemp for fuel, or to just buy gasoline and raise some other crop (or do some other job). It's not black and white.

there were many points you seem to want to play the games. stop it! the point is legalize hemp, end of f'in story. i told you many times it is more then just hemp fuel but you want to put the blinders on. i have made several posts that you keep ignoring! the whole point is to give folks choices but you keep trying to play some silly word games in your own head!! stop it legalize hemp or buy your gasoline i dont care what you do but the point is to legalize hemp and you seem to want to argue over nothing really!! 5000 yrs of history is on our side. if you do not think it wil solve the problems then maybe you should cut back on your uses and stop worrying about hemp!! you seem to have this all or nothing mentality.

Ninja Homer
03-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Next- how much hemp oil can you get from an acre of land? This site http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html says 38 gallons per acre.

That number is VERY misleading. It's based on the patented, low-THC strain of hemp that's allowed in Europe and Canada, which produces a lot of fiber for industrial use, but only 600 to 1200 pounds of seed per acre.

Naturalized hemp, on the other hand, produces 8500 pounds of seed per acre, which results in 300 gallons of oil and 6000 pounds of high protein hemp meal. It also gives you 10 tons of bast fiber (rope, canvas, clothes) and 25 tons of hurd fiber (paper, construction materials) per acre.

That 300 gallons of oil per acre can be used in a diesel engine without any modification. The diesel engine was actually designed to use hemp oil in the first place.

Besides it's potential as a fuel, you need to look at where it can save on fuel consumption.

For the most part, hemp can replace cotton... hemp fabric is vastly superior. It's stronger, more durable, more UV resistant, mildew and rot resistance, fire resistance, lasts longer, more absorbent, warmer, breathes better, and more microbially-resistant. Hemp can be grown without herbicides, pesticides, or fungicides. Hemp only needs 1/3 the amount of water as cotton, and just a tiny amount of fertilizer.

Obviously, hemp can replace all the corn that's currently being grown to produce ethanol. That's a sham, and I think everybody here knows it already, so I won't go into details.

Hemp can also be used to make plastics. I'm not sure how hemp oil plastics compare to petroleum-based plastics, but check out this car Henry Ford made with hemp plastic in 1941:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxlj6fgQ-ZU

"Lighter than steel, but can withstand 10 times the impact without denting." Anybody know how much gasoline is used to manufacture stuff out of steel, between the mining, production, shipping, and manufacturing of it? A hell of a lot.

I don't think it can completely fill all of our energy needs, but it could go a long way towards helping it.

edit: Forgot to mention it, but it can also fulfill all our paper needs, as well as lumber for construction.

Fox McCloud
03-14-2011, 02:53 AM
there were many points you seem to want to play the games. stop it! the point is legalize hemp, end of f'in story. i told you many times it is more then just hemp fuel but you want to put the blinders on. i have made several posts that you keep ignoring! the whole point is to give folks choices but you keep trying to play some silly word games in your own head!! stop it legalize hemp or buy your gasoline i dont care what you do but the point is to legalize hemp and you seem to want to argue over nothing really!! 5000 yrs of history is on our side. if you do not think it wil solve the problems then maybe you should cut back on your uses and stop worrying about hemp!! you seem to have this all or nothing mentality.

You've made a strawman. I've never once argued that hemp should still be illegal or that I somehow have something against it. Again, I've made the point multiple times I'm arguing against your position that hemp would be an excellent alternative to gasoline and thus a good fuel---Zippy debunked this,and I have repeatedly debunked this...even if we assume your unrealistic 300 gallons per acre numbers.

Let me stress, again--I am for the full legalization of hemp, I support its use for anything the market wants to use it for, and am well aware of how healthy it is.

And again, let me stress, the idea of using hemp as a fuel is dead in the water, as far as being economically viable.

Acala
03-14-2011, 10:03 AM
You've made a strawman. .

or a HEMP FIBER man! Hahahahahahaha! sorry :o

w2992
03-14-2011, 10:32 AM
90% of the land in my county Brazoria TX is also sitting idle for farm sub. I hope people who are against hemp have bad hay fever because hemp would be growing instead of ragweed! also 30% of the oil cosumption would not be wasted on war. see "alcohol can be a gas" only 15% of the land in the USA would be needed to replace oil usage. the ford model A was originally designed to run on alcohol that is why we had "prohibition" to force cars to run on oil.

Ninja Homer
03-14-2011, 11:26 AM
You've made a strawman. I've never once argued that hemp should still be illegal or that I somehow have something against it. Again, I've made the point multiple times I'm arguing against your position that hemp would be an excellent alternative to gasoline and thus a good fuel---Zippy debunked this,and I have repeatedly debunked this...even if we assume your unrealistic 300 gallons per acre numbers.

Let me stress, again--I am for the full legalization of hemp, I support its use for anything the market wants to use it for, and am well aware of how healthy it is.

And again, let me stress, the idea of using hemp as a fuel is dead in the water, as far as being economically viable.

You're missing a big part of it, but maybe it hasn't been brought up in this thread yet. Besides the 300 gallons of hemp oil per acre, the other material (leaves & stalk) contains about 4 times the cellulose value to make ethanol as corn.

Zippyjuan
03-14-2011, 02:04 PM
That number is VERY misleading. It's based on the patented, low-THC strain of hemp that's allowed in Europe and Canada, which produces a lot of fiber for industrial use, but only 600 to 1200 pounds of seed per acre.

Naturalized hemp, on the other hand, produces 8500 pounds of seed per acre, which results in 300 gallons of oil and 6000 pounds of high protein hemp meal. It also gives you 10 tons of bast fiber (rope, canvas, clothes) and 25 tons of hurd fiber (paper, construction materials) per acre.

That 300 gallons of oil per acre can be used in a diesel engine without any modification. The diesel engine was actually designed to use hemp oil in the first place.

Besides it's potential as a fuel, you need to look at where it can save on fuel consumption.

For the most part, hemp can replace cotton... hemp fabric is vastly superior. It's stronger, more durable, more UV resistant, mildew and rot resistance, fire resistance, lasts longer, more absorbent, warmer, breathes better, and more microbially-resistant. Hemp can be grown without herbicides, pesticides, or fungicides. Hemp only needs 1/3 the amount of water as cotton, and just a tiny amount of fertilizer.

Obviously, hemp can replace all the corn that's currently being grown to produce ethanol. That's a sham, and I think everybody here knows it already, so I won't go into details.

Hemp can also be used to make plastics. I'm not sure how hemp oil plastics compare to petroleum-based plastics, but check out this car Henry Ford made with hemp plastic in 1941:

"Lighter than steel, but can withstand 10 times the impact without denting." Anybody know how much gasoline is used to manufacture stuff out of steel, between the mining, production, shipping, and manufacturing of it? A hell of a lot.

I don't think it can completely fill all of our energy needs, but it could go a long way towards helping it.

edit: Forgot to mention it, but it can also fulfill all our paper needs, as well as lumber for construction.

I went with what yield figure I could find. I was wondering- can you provide a link to the 300 gallons an acre yield figure? Thanks!

I know there are inflated numbers floating around by advocates trying to make things sound better than they are (like the original video which says all the world's oil can be replaced by hemp).

I did find this article http://hempsteadprojectheart.com/hempstead-wildseed/ which claims 300 gallons or six barrels of oil per acre

Cold pressing of hemp seeds yields over 300 gallons of oil and 6,000 pounds of
high protein hemp meal. That is 6 barrels of oil produced per acre, which is
extremely healthy while fresh, and 3 tons of high protein food per acre. This
oil production rate is three times more productive than the next most
productive seed oil crops: soybeans, sunflower seeds and canola/rapeseed, which
produce 100 to 115 gallons of oil per acre. Hemp seed oil will be the most
productive source of biodiesel fuel when legalized, and it is also a nontoxic
resource for plastics and many other synthesized products.

Since we consume seven billion barrels of oil a year and this figure is correct, we would need 1.2 billion acres to replace our total annual oil consumption. That is now down to about half the total acreage of the entire country- an improvement- but it is still basically the entire space devoted to agriculture (including pasturing and rangelands at 587 million acres and food production of 442 million acres http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/EIB14/).

Of course if you are using the seeds for oil, they are not being eaten (unless you are eating the stalks and leaves). If you want to use it for food as well, you have to plant more acres. Using it for plastics- well, again, that is made with oil from the seeds too- more acres. Yes, you do have the fibers available to make paper or clothing. Unless you recycle at least some of those plant stalks and leaves and stems into the ground, you will need more fertelizers to replace the nutrients in the ground.