PDA

View Full Version : Rachel Maddow: Michigan governor pushing "fiscal emergency powers" bill

madfoot
03-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Apparently, the Michigan House passed this bill which will give the governor the power to declare any town as being in a "fiscal emergency" and subsequently dissolve that town's democratically elected government and replace it with any individual or corporation of his choosing.

So yeah, that means if you live in Michigan, you could be living in McDonaldsville next year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#41979558

This is nuts...

Sentient Void
03-09-2011, 02:15 AM
Not cool.

While I do not at all support the concept of top-down dissolving of government authority, at any level, I *do* however, support a bottom-up dissolving of government authority... at *any* level.

Now *that* would be legislation I'd like to see! ;D

The concept of 'nullification' is a great example of this.

kpitcher
03-09-2011, 05:48 AM
I'm in Michigan and am 10 miles from Benton Harbor, 1 of the 4 cities currently under State Emergency Management. I'm in another county and in farmland, but my zipcode is still that of the city. The local paper has done a decent job of coverage, both the pro and cons since it happened last year. From my view, in this case, it's been helpful. The city has had a rough history. While it's the home city of Fortune 100 Whirlpool, it was also the scene of riots in 2003 for 2 days. There have been a lot of shenanigans pulled by elected officials over the years, things like no budget for any police (In a former murder capital per capita), forgetting to bill any resident for water/sewer for a year, etc, and after a long period of being broke they brought in an Emergency manager / accountant type to set things straight. There was a story this week that the city should be back on track possibly by year end.

However I'm not a resident so I'm not sure how heavy handed it would have appeared to residents. But at a certain point, after decades of the city getting worse and worse, I'm alright with some outside intervention to make things workable if it's the absolute last step and they exit gracefully once things are back on track. As they say the devil is in the details.

With all that said, THIS BILL to have more outsiders step in faster is troublesome since this is for cities and schools. The state's budget is horrid, billions in debt, and recent suggestions of chopping 300 more per student off the state supplied per student puts the hit on things fast. Further reductions in state aid back to cities will put even more of a crunch. So this bill looks like a way for the state to put a squeeze on a lot of areas and then have one of their people step in to manage any backlash. Not a good way to balance the budget at all.

FrankRep
03-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Apparently, the Michigan House passed this bill which will give the governor the power to declare any town as being in a "fiscal emergency" and subsequently dissolve that town's democratically elected government and replace it with any individual or corporation of his choosing.

So yeah, that means if you live in Michigan, you could be living in McDonaldsville next year.

This is nuts...

I don't trust Rachel Maddow. I'll need to research this myself.

Johnnybags
03-09-2011, 06:50 AM
He is forced to do it because the town gubmints are broke. There are amazing stats out there for some towns to show that the promises made to retirees for health and pensions will never get paid unless the unions end up stealing the house itself basically because noone can afford the tax hike needed to cover the promises. My town accrues an 8 percent return on pensions(way overstated) and assumes 5% rise in health care costs(way understated). As the money is drained for payments now on a virtually no actual gain in investments, let alone 8% and health care payments growing at closer to 8% than 5% it will only take a few years to bankrupt. They should be doing a chapter 9 now but they will not until the real money is gone and even then will be begging the STATE. The bondholders should lose but we now know that does not happen in America.

FrankRep
03-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Here's the bill.

Local Government & School District Fiscal Accountability Act
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billanalysis/House/pdf/2011-HLA-4214-3.pdf

speciallyblend
03-09-2011, 07:10 AM
if this is true it is scary and one more reason the gop is f'ed in the head!!

brenden.b
03-09-2011, 07:13 AM
In my brief overlook of this bill, I see absolutely nothing about "dissolving" local governments. Now, while I will agree that this bill is more top-down management from a state government that can't get its own books in order, that somehow believes in can manage budgets at a local level.

Maddow is probably upset with this bill because it would allow for the emergency manager to "revoke labor contracts" and "suspend collective bargaining
for up to five years".

That is her base, so that would explain why she is screaming about it. She doesn't actually care that it is top-down management. After all, she is a statist to the core.

TonySutton
03-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Considering the sad shape MI is currently in I don't see this as all to terrible. If it is what the people of MI want then they should be able to do it.

roho76
03-09-2011, 07:37 AM
I live in Howell, MI and they spent over 50 Million on a new high school and they couldn't afford to run it so now it sits empty. They shot a few movies there, big whuup. What a waste. If I was one of the residents who has to pass by it every morning it would ruin my whole day.

erowe1
03-09-2011, 07:37 AM

This is nuts...

Are we supposed to think that democratically elected governments are a good thing or something?

angelatc
03-09-2011, 08:20 AM
In my brief overlook of this bill, I see absolutely nothing about "dissolving" local governments. Now, while I will agree that this bill is more top-down management from a state government that can't get its own books in order, that somehow believes in can manage budgets at a local level.

Maddow is probably upset with this bill because it would allow for the emergency manager to "revoke labor contracts" and "suspend collective bargaining
for up to five years".

That is her base, so that would explain why she is screaming about it. She doesn't actually care that it is top-down management. After all, she is a statist to the core.

She wouldn't care one iota if Obama's gang was sending in people to run AMerican cities. She's just upset the federal government doesn't have the same power.

This is a states rights issue, especially since the states and the local governments are so closely intertwined, In Michigan, local entities can't pass sales and use taxes. They can do a few things, like bond issues for schools and libraries, but that's about it. Most of the money they live on comes from the state.

And it really isn't a horrible idea as long as there's an exit plan for the administrators when the entity is stabilized.

angelatc
03-09-2011, 08:21 AM
I live in Howell, MI and they spent over 50 Million on a new high school and they couldn't afford to run it so now it sits empty. They shot a few movies there, big whuup. What a waste. If I was one of the residents who has to pass by it every morning it would ruin my whole day.

I just heard about that recently! Didn't they build it with federal money - money that they *had* to spend or else they would lose it?

Where is it exactly? I want to drive by.

HOLLYWOOD
03-09-2011, 08:45 AM
It's the stupidity of the voters that constantly elect and reelect these swindlers and charlatans. 9 Detroit, MI city politicians cost taxpayers $13 million to operate. No wonder the people are leaving. Queue that Detroit radio coverage "Obama Bucks" video.

http://detnews.com/article/20110202/METRO/102020385/Study--Gov-t-costs-more-in-Detroit-than-other-cities

Study: Gov't costs more in Detroit than other cities

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit — Detroit's City Council is one of the most expensive in the nation, according to a survey released this morning of the nation's largest cities.

Detroit spends about $13 million for its nine-member council and staff

madfoot
03-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Are we supposed to think that democratically elected governments are a good thing or something?

Opposed to what? A dictatorship?

erowe1
03-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Opposed to what? A dictatorship?

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, it's precisely because I oppose dictatorship that I must also oppose democracy.

angelatc
03-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, it's precisely because I oppose dictatorship that I must also oppose democracy.

And don't forget this is Michigan. The voters had to pass a law to keep convicted felons from holding public office because they were legitimately afraid that Kwame would be re-elected after he got out of prison. (I voted No on that, btw. If the people of Detroit want to reelect Kwame, then they should be allowed to. )

speciallyblend
03-09-2011, 09:38 AM

that sucks, hmm well it has power right? sounds like it could be converted to a medical marijuana grow:) once laws are changed;) then it could at least be a productive building and pay taxes back to the state!! is medical legal yet in MI??

Elwar
03-09-2011, 09:38 AM

This is nuts...

Do you work directly for Rachel Maddow or are you just a big fan?

speciallyblend
03-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Do you work directly for Rachel Maddow or are you just a big fan?

maybe they should pass the bill then elect dems in office ,then they can do what they fear the corrupt gop would do;) let them both eat it!!

screw michigan)jj i think?, I live in the Unites States of Colorado!! i find it easier to live just ignoring everything but Colorado:)

JK/SEA
03-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Hooterville...hmmm...i could get used to that.

ravedown
03-09-2011, 11:12 AM

this would be a good segment for stossel. anyone know how to send it to him?

angelatc
03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Whomever said that Maddow is carrying the unions water on this was dead on. Read the first page of the .pdf that FrankRep posted. Michigan has had the power to swoop in and manage failing local governments since 1990. But the new legislature wants to expand the powers of the managers to include temporarily suspending collective bargaining rights, as well as manage pension money.

If the good people of Michigan weren't so bad with money, I'd oppose this. And I do have to admit that it is certainly a slippery slope. Thinking about how giving local governments the power to declare property "blighted" and condemn it worked out for property owners...shudder.

mczerone
03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
that sucks, hmm well it has power right? sounds like it could be converted to a medical marijuana grow:) once laws are changed;) then it could at least be a productive building and pay taxes back to the state!! is medical legal yet in MI??

Medical is legal in Michigan, but there's still tons of restrictions barring mass production and there's still some local ordinances that may or may not still deem use/possession illegal, even with a prescription.

Do you know the law in Colo. for driving with cannabis in your system (i.e. still on positive test, but not currently "high")? In Michigan it's a misdemeanor, and there's some untested questions about how a prescription would vary the rule, or if medical users are essentially barred from driving. SO if Colo. has a similar driving under the influence law, do you know if there are exemptions for medicinal users?

AGRP
03-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Although I don't like it, at least McDonald's appears to be far less corrupt than those holding office.

At least things could be done efficiently and be clean.