PDA

View Full Version : Foreign policy *IS* the issue in 2012

economics102
03-08-2011, 10:49 PM
I think those who are acquiescing that foreign policy is not "the issue of the day" are well-intentioned but misguided in their notions.

Unlike in 2008, the issue of the day in 2012 is quite clearly the economic condition of the country. Ron Paul can point out the obvious, that it's straight-up not physically possible to deal with the debt and prevent economic collapse without a sanity check on our foreign policy. This will (hopefully) make perfect sense to the voters.

And it's good for us because Ron Paul will probably once again stand alone against the wars on the Republican side. And if any of the Republicans try to flip anti-war, they'll have no credibility vs. Ron Paul. It was hard for people in 2008 who didn't know a lot about Ron Paul to grasp that he has the most conservative voting record, etc. But it's very easy for Ron to stand up on stage and say "none of my opponents have a leg to stand on. I am the ONLY one who opposed these wars from the very beginning and has tried to end them year after year, and who warned repeatedly that they would bring us financial destruction."

In 2008 for Republicans the issue was the wars -- specifically, how to do more of them. In 2012 it's the economy, and Ron can say "there's simply no way to come close to balancing the budget without massively slashing military spending. if you're not for cutting deep into the military, you're not serious about balancing the budget. and none of my colleagues here have ever been serious about cutting military spending. so you do the math."

dbill27
03-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Unfortunately, as of late, it's looking like foreign policy could be a huge topic in 2012. It won't help Ron if the middle east is still in flames, not with the GOP voters in the primaries. Fear Mongering will be the name of the game and the neo-cons will try to capilize.

The Dark Knight
03-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Ron needs to stick to the dollar crises. explain to the people if we don't have sound money we wont be able to fund the wars even if you want them.

TheDriver
03-08-2011, 11:43 PM
IMO, it's not the issue of the day because the media has been soft on Obama, and I agree with the above poster: Ron's foreign policy rants are a no-win in the GOP primaries. Sure it will attract some, but not enough to win, unless the vote is split heavily.

But we'll see soon enough.

TIMB0B
03-09-2011, 02:43 AM
IMO, it's not the issue of the day because the media has been soft on Obama, and I agree with the above poster: Ron's foreign policy rants are a no-win in the GOP primaries. Sure it will attract some, but not enough to win, unless the vote is split heavily.

But we'll see soon enough.

Ron should appeal to republican voters on foreign policy simply because it's opposite of Obama's. He should play the angle of "we don't want to support Obama's war," or some such.

Bman
03-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Foreign Policy is not the issue in 2012. Unless you secretly want Ron to lose. People are far to reactionary to understand Ron's ideas on Foreign Policy. It takes one or two words and we're back to "he's a nut job".

2012 has to be about JOBS, JOBS, MONEY. Here Ron will kick the living shit out of anyone, except anyone who agrees with him, which is more than likely no one on the Republican stage and certainly not Obama.

We have to play to strengths if we want to be serious, picking the hardest subject to win is a fools errand. If 2012 is going to be about foreign policy count me out. I'm not wasting my time on a losing cause. Don't get me wrong I don't believe that fighting for a better foreign policy is a lost cause, I think getting Ron elected on it is. At least it will be in the primary.