PDA

View Full Version : NH Republicans introduce bill that could keep some college kids from voting

QueenB4Liberty
03-08-2011, 06:36 PM
By Peter Wallsten
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, March 7, 2011; 12:15 AM

New Hampshire's new Republican state House speaker is pretty clear about what he thinks of college kids and how they vote. They're "foolish," Speaker William O'Brien said in a recent speech to a tea party group.

"Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he added, his comments taped by a state Democratic Party staffer and posted on YouTube. Students lack "life experience," and "they just vote their feelings."

New Hampshire House Republicans are pushing for new laws that would prohibit many college students from voting in the state - and effectively keep some from voting at all.

One bill would permit students to vote in their college towns only if they or their parents had previously established permanent residency there - requiring all others to vote in the states or other New Hampshire towns they come from. Another bill would end Election Day registration, which O'Brien said unleashes swarms of students on polling places, creating opportunities for fraud.

The measures in New Hampshire are among dozens of voting-related bills being pushed by newly empowered Republican state lawmakers across the country - prompting partisan clashes akin to those already roiling in some states over GOP moves to curb union power.

Backers of the voting measures say they would bring fairness and restore confidence in a voting system vulnerable to fraud. Many states, for instance, do not require identification to vote. Measures being proposed in 32 states would add an ID requirement or proof of citizenship, according to an analysis by the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University.

"I want to know when I walk into the poll that they know I am who I say I am and that nobody else has said that they are me," said North Carolina state Rep. Ric Killian (R), who is preparing to introduce legislation that would require voters to show a photo ID at the polls.

Democrats charge that the real goal, as with anti-union measures in Wisconsin, Ohio and elsewhere, is simply to deflate the power of core Democratic voting blocs - in this case young people and minorities. For all the allegations of voter fraud, Democrats and voting rights groups say, there is scant evidence to show that it is a problem.
ad_icon

"It's a war on voting," said Thomas Bates, vice president of Rock the Vote, a youth voter- registration group mounting a campaign to fight the array of state measures. "We'd like to be advocating for a 21st-century voting system, but here we are fighting against efforts to turn it back to the 19th century."

The debate over voter fraud has become a perennial issue since the contested 2000 presidential election. While limited by federal law and court rulings, states have authority over how they run elections. Although elections officials say there are occasional cases of fraud, experts say the battle lines are drawn largely along deeply partisan - and largely theoretical - lines.

"Election policy debates like photo ID and same-day registration have become so fierce around the country because they are founded more on passionate belief than proven fact," said Doug Chapin, an election-law expert at the Pew Center on the States. "One side is convinced fraud is rampant; the other believes that disenfranchisement is widespread. Neither can point to much in the way of evidence to support their position, so they simply turn up the volume."

Implications for 2012

The disputes are taking on national implications. Several states where newly empowered Republicans are pushing voter legislation, such as New Hampshire, Wisconsin and North Carolina, are expected to be battlegrounds in the 2012 presidential race. Democrats say the voters most likely to be affected are core pieces of President Obama's base.

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/06/AR2011030602662.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2011030603423)

Thoughts?

ItsTime
03-08-2011, 06:40 PM
It is a big problem here, students actually brag about how they vote in two states, something has to be done. What that is I dont know.

RileyE104
03-08-2011, 06:41 PM
This is nothing but more partisan bullshit. The guy's reasoning that all college students vote liberal is already a falsehood, so there's no point in even considering what he has to say. It's like arguing that all blacks vote democrat. Just complete bullshit. I'm glad I don't live in NH.

AZKing
03-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Can we keep Christians from voting then, too? After all, 'voting as a social conservative. That's what Christians do.'

Now, if people are voting twice then yea, I'd be for some kind of limitation. But I have a feeling the real deal is keeping young kids from voting.

Anti Federalist
03-08-2011, 06:55 PM
This is nothing but more partisan bullshit. The guy's reasoning that all college students vote liberal is already a falsehood, so there's no point in even considering what he has to say. It's like arguing that all blacks vote democrat. Just complete bullshit. I'm glad I don't live in NH.

No, not all blacks vote democratic.

Roughly 90 percent do. http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/president/exit-polls.html

I'm actually in agreement with something like this, not just because of college students but Massholes as well.

Something along the lines of "You are not able to vote in any local or state election or referendum until you have been a resident for five or more years".

Anything that restricts the ability of my fellow man to sic the power of the state on me, I'd be in favor of.

Grubb556
03-08-2011, 06:56 PM
So if you don't vote for me, then your vote doesn't count.

Why does this sound like something third world dictators would say?

On the other hand, in all seriousless it would be a good idea to wait a few years before a resident could vote.

ItsTime
03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Their vote does not count because they are not New Hampshire citizens. Should illegals get to vote too?

One Last Battle!
03-08-2011, 06:59 PM
No, not all blacks vote democratic.

Roughly 90 percent do.

I'm actually in agreement with something like this, not just because of college students but Massholes as well.

Something along the lines of "You are not able to vote in any local or state election or referendum until you have been a resident for five or more years".

Anything that restricts the ability of my fellow man to sic the power of the state on me, I'd be in favor of.

Honestly, the problem is less that students are voting and more that they aren't really New Hampshirites. They should be focusing more on the issue of them being residents of New Hampshire and less on their age (as in, they have to have lived in New Hampshire for, say, ten years, but not having been of voting age during that time).

Anti Federalist
03-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Honestly, the problem is less that students are voting and more that they aren't really New Hampshirites. They should be focusing more on the issue of them being residents of New Hampshire and less on their age (as in, they have to have lived in New Hampshire for, say, ten years, but not having been of voting age during that time).

Agreed.

O'Brien made a foolish analogy to illustrate a serious issue.

I wouldn't be in favor of singling out voting blocs of people, but I've been pushing the idea of residency moratorium for years now.

ItsTime
03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
We talked about this at our Tea Party meeting last month. Really there is no easy solution but non-citizens voting is a problem.

Maximus
03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Can't he set up some sort of residency clause for State (and not Federal) races? Like "in order to vote in a municipal or state election someone must have resided in New Hampshire for at least six months before an election."

Anti Federalist
03-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Can't he set up some sort of residency clause for State (and not Federal) races? Like "in order to vote in a municipal or state election someone must have resided in New Hampshire for at least six months before an election."

I would want to see a much longer period than this, but yes, I suppose the Director could.

Whether it would pass legal muster or not is another story.

"Voting" has become as sacrosanct as communion in our "new democracy".

ItsTime
03-08-2011, 07:26 PM

NCs have no rights voting for our delegates or reps

Jack Bauer
03-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Rather Orwellian thread title, no?

NH4RonPaul
03-08-2011, 07:56 PM
The bill is NOT to keep college kids from voting.

www.cnht.org has reams of info on voter fraud -- double voting -- improper domicile and even one case where a Montana student became Grafton County Treasurer!

Please visit this site to read why we need a voter ID just for voting and that students should not vote while they are visiting, but vote in their hometowns.

No one is prevented from voting!

In a town of a few thousands, they are not paying property taxes and yet, could ratchet up the tax rate horrifically and that's what usually happens.

Read this section - 3 per page, click 'Previous entries' to go backward in the category.

http://www.cnht.org/news/category/vote-fraud/

Theocrat
03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
If NH wants to place restrictions on who gets to vote, then why not allow only property owners to vote, so that way, it keeps non-property owners from voting away the rights, privileges, and possessions from them?

low preference guy
03-08-2011, 08:09 PM
If NH wants to place restrictions on who gets to vote, then why not allow only property owners to vote, so that way, it keeps non-property owners from voting away the rights, privileges, and possessions from them?

renters shouldn't vote? Peter Schiff shouldn't have had the right to vote in CT until he was 49 years old?

i'm not sure that's a good idea. although i don't think it'll make a big difference in actual policy either way.

ItsTime
03-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Because people who don't own property still pay taxes?

Theocrat
03-08-2011, 08:17 PM
renters shouldn't vote? Peter Schiff shouldn't have had the right to vote in CT until he was 49 years old?

i'm not sure that's a good idea. although i don't think it'll make a big difference in actual policy either way.

Because people who don't own property still pay taxes?

Yes, I agree that such a measure is not feasible for our current democratic process. It was just a facetious (and semi-serious) thought.

QueenB4Liberty
03-08-2011, 08:23 PM

renters pay property taxes. The landlords factor that in with the cost of the rent.

I never really thought about college kids voting twice, and racketing up taxes higher than they already are but those reasons make sense. I guess because I only went to school two hours away from my hometown, I didn't take any issue with it. And I lived in Austin for 3 years.

Brooklyn Red Leg
03-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Maybe I'm missing something. Shouldn't you have to have a New Hampshire driver's license to vote (which requires residency)? In Florida you have to have resided in the State for a year to be considered a resident for College (at least, that is how it was when I first entered college...God...19 years ago). I guess I consider it strange since I live in a State with such a large transient population (Snowbirds etc).

I would imagine it would be easier to require residency in the NH and no other State to vote in NH. Now, I'm of the opinion that the moment you move somewhere else and have severed ties to your former residence, you're now a resident of said location.

low preference guy
03-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Maybe I'm missing something. Shouldn't you have to have a New Hampshire driver's license to vote (which requires residency)?

people who use only bicycles for transportation shouldn't' vote? :p

ItsTime
03-08-2011, 08:33 PM
A cable bill and my out of state license was all i used to reg to vote when i moved here.