03-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Rand Paul/Luis Fortuño 2016?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt0dQy0xXH8

axiomata
03-08-2011, 05:53 PM
very interesting and worth the watch

matt0611
03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Seems like a great governor. I wish Puerto Rico luck.

I think I would actually not want to become a state if I lived in PR because then I'd have to pay federal income tax :)

libertybrewcity
03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
There was a 51st State Puerto Rico stand at CPAC. I think it is a great idea.

trey4sports
03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
He gave a great speech @ CPAC

Zatch
03-08-2011, 10:02 PM
bump

2young2vote
03-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Can someone explain this P3 thing about funding public projects with private capital? I've never heard of it before.

Chieppa1
03-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm serious when I say that this guy is a rock star. Wow, I'm totally impressed. The only guy getting anything done.

doctor jones
03-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Other than the slight praise for Mitch Daniels and Tim Pawlenty at the end I think he sounds pretty good so far.

rholl
03-09-2011, 12:16 AM
It was a good interview. Seems like a good governor. I understand the wanting to be represented and being able to vote in congress but the not having to pay federal taxes would be nice.

Thomas
03-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Puerto Rico for Ron Paul 2012 http://www.facebook.com/pages/Puerto-Rico-for-Ron-Paul-2012/104535796292828?ref=ts

do we know any locals who can admin the page?

Imperial
03-09-2011, 01:19 AM
This is concerning. (http://hispanicohio.northcoastnow.com/2011/02/25/video-human-rights-crisis-in-puerto-rico-first-amendment-under-seige/) The protests seem to be pro-union, but that shouldn't be grounds for suppression.

* At the University of Puerto Rico all forms of expression have been prohibited, through a Resolution issued by UPR Chancellor Ana Guadalupe; a resolution which Governor Luis Fortuño ordered armed police officers to enforce. On Wednesday, February 9, 2011, a group of students participated in civil disobedience on campus, consisting of a paint-in. During the paint-in, students peacefully and without interrupting the educational process painted messages of protest in a limited area of the street at the front of the main library, in defiance of the Chancellor’s absolute prohibition on any form of protest. Students immediately came under extreme physical and violent attack by members of the police force’s elite and heavily armed SWAT and Riot Squad teams.

While the ACLU is looking to file charges on Human Rights violations and evaluating other legal options, the Puerto Rico Daily Sun, a conservative English language newspaper, published a damming editorial in which it called for the resignation of the university’s president, chancellors and the Board of Trustees. On Friday, February 11, 2011, President Ramón De la Torres’ resignation was unanimously accepted by the Board of Trustees. However, the Board Chairperson, Ygrí Rivera, immediately stated that she will not be removing armed Puerto Rico Police officers from the University of Puerto Rico campus.

In its editorial, the Puerto Rico Daily Sun, stated that “[t]he indiscriminate aggression of police riot squads against students, who are exercising their constitutional rights in public areas without interfering with any academic or administrative activity, is a gross violation of their rights and an act comparable only to the acts of the dictatorships we all denounce and reject”. The Daily Sun added that “[w]e do not want this new order, neither for our university, the Capitol, La Fortaleza or our neighborhoods. We reject it with all our might, exercising our freedom of speech, or freedom of association, is not a crime”.

As we say in Puerto Rico, “mas claro no canta un gallo” (it could not have been more clearly stated). On Sunday, February 12, 2011, just four days after students were mercilessly beaten by Puerto Rico Police agents, over 10,000 alumnus, parents, grandparents, family members and other citizens took to the streets and marched over to reclaim the UPR campus, demanding that the PRPD be immediately ordered off campus. See news video: http://www.primerahora.com/milesseunencontralacuotaylainvasionpoliciacaenlaup r-474118.html

In addition to the debacle and related violence at the University of Puerto Rico, in the past two years legislation has been passed that would prohibit protests at construction sites and most recently at any government building that renders educational services and other locations providing government services, under penalty of criminal prosecution.

Imperial
03-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Can someone explain this P3 thing about funding public projects with private capital? I've never heard of it before.

Public private partnerships. They have been around for a couple decades now I think. They have some good benefits if you do them right (doing public works without hurting the coffers too much), but they are risky too. It is essentially a contract between the government and a private company, so the government is eliminating a certain risk for the company and the company may only try to fulfill the contract rather than providing the best service. You can put checks on this to maintain the competitive mechanism in this, but it can also go wrong- California tried to pioneer P3s under Schwarzenegger.

axiomata
03-09-2011, 06:47 AM
some more info: http://reason.org/news/show/annual-privatization-2010-state

trey4sports
07-16-2011, 05:00 PM
bump. Should interesting watch considering i've heard many on this forum throw his name around as possible veep.

Napoleon's Shadow
07-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Didn't Stossel do a segment on him?

EndSlavery
07-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Great hair? Check.

Minority? Check.

Bilingual? Check.

Can wrap his beliefs in the lexicon of the statist establishment? Check (Though, I doubt the underlying beliefs far, far more than I doubt Rand's).

The establishment of the Republican party will fall in love with this guy. I Definitely like him compared to clowns like Rubio. He's no Rand, but I hope he can win re-election and become a player on the national scene in 2016. He's also a fellow Hoya :)

AGRP
07-16-2011, 08:01 PM
The IMF wont stand for any of this.