PDA

View Full Version : Just how many Americans are Uninsured?

Fox McCloud
03-08-2011, 04:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcSl-HYjnz8

Interestingly enough, the percentage has been relatively flat since 1987 of the number of people uninsured.

What is interesting, however, is just how many people truly are uninsured once you factor in already existing governmental programs.

emazur
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Useful info. For those who don't feel like watching, he whittles it down to 4% but I suggest you watch to find out how

Fox McCloud
03-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Useful info. For those who don't feel like watching, he whittles it down to 4% but I suggest you watch to find out how

well, 4-6%--some people would still count the 2% who voluntarily forgo it as part of the statistic, as well...heck, this is, in part, the argument, that Obamacare makes; to reduce insurance costs, we have to force healthy americans into the system who will, a vast majority of the time, never take anything out from it, but provide a useful revenue stream for the sick...not surprisingly, the majority who fall into this category are in the the 20's age bracket.

Dr.3D
03-08-2011, 06:02 PM
So the chap in the video is saying the number of uninsured people is being exaggerated? Wow, such revelations never cease to amaze me.

Fox McCloud
03-08-2011, 06:05 PM
So the chap in the video is saying the number of uninsured people is being exaggerated? Wow, such revelations never cease to amaze me.

more or less; it's not actually "47 million", but 12-18 million (depending on if you include the 18-34 year olds or not).

if the government is good at anything, it's playing with numbers to make them look bad, when it fits its agenda, and good, when it fits its agenda....justl ike someone who's unemployed and wants work, but has stopped looking, at least for a while, is not "unemployed".

Or with CPI; sometimes the price of a good really has gone up, but they'll say there has been a "hedonic improvement" to the product--and thus, the price increase is for that improvement and not truly due to inflation.

Anti Federalist
03-08-2011, 06:12 PM
And forcing that tiny fraction, 4-6%, to buy the medical/government/insurance complex's junk is supposed to make everything solvent, how, exactly?

Dr.3D
03-08-2011, 06:15 PM
And forcing that tiny fraction, 4-6%, to buy the medical/government/insurance complex's junk is supposed to make everything solvent, how, exactly?

Because then the government will have control of what you are allowed to eat, drink or smoke and perhaps wash yourself with. Having that control, they can mandate all sorts of wonderful things to make the money just pour in.

/sarcasm

MozoVote
03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I went 7 years without health insurance (1996 to 2003). Because, well - I was healthy, in my early 30s, and didn't wanna pay for it.

Saved a lotta money that way... it helped me buy rental properties and a new car during that time.

Democrats for some reason think my investments in capital items are not as good as stuffing the pockets of insurance firms.

fletcher
03-08-2011, 06:29 PM
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6300/s7ah5.gif