PDA

View Full Version : Incredible story of police misconduct out of Tennessee.

Anti Federalist
03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
A rather convoluted story, so here's the thumbnail:

A petty criminal named Dawson ends up in jail on drug and theft charges.

While in prison his cell-mate is a fairly convincing flim flam man named Sweet who was in jail for various scams and con jobs.

The cops, headed by a detective named Henry, coerce the conman named Sweet to approach Dawson with the prospect of using his, Sweet's, high powered attorneys to "get him off'.

The only problem with that?

The high powered "attorneys" were, in reality, Detective Henry and other cops, posing as defense attorneys who used the conversation with Dawson to convict him.

The conviction was overturned and here is what the appellate judge said:

"The conduct of the law enforcement officers in this case, and in particular Detective Henry, is so egregious that it simply cannot go unchecked," appellate Judge James Curwood Witt Jr. wrote.

In-fucking-credible...:mad:

Monroe County detective's con seals prisoner's court victory

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/jan/20/investigators-trickery-voids-criminal-case-monroe/?partner=RSS

sirgonzo420
03-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Aaaaand this is the sort of reason why I despise police officers.

Krugerrand
03-08-2011, 02:27 PM
At least the conviction was overturned.

sirgonzo420
03-08-2011, 02:29 PM

Which is why I despise judges slightly less than I despise police officers.

;)

coastie
03-08-2011, 02:51 PM

Right, but the original judge is still on the job, even after saying this at his trial - after this all came out.

....When all this came to light, Dawson's (real) attorney asked for a
continuance in his case so she could assess the damage. Remarkably,Tennessee Tenth Judicial Judge Amy Reedy refused the request,ruling that Dawson made "a real dumb decision" and that he had "picked his poison."

:eek:

More on the case here:
http://reason.com/blog/2011/03/08/tennessee-cops-posed-as-a-defe

And yet here we all sit on RPF's, commenting and doing nothing while we allow this shit to go on. Where's my Yuengling?

ETA: We should send the :collins: in, he'll show 'em.:p

AFPVet
03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Were the cops fired? That goes way beyond "they didn't know any better". Ignorance of the law is no excuse in law enforcement—this was drilled into our heads all of the time. If you screwed up, you were done. That's how it should be.

coastie
03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Were the cops fired? That goes way beyond "they didn't know any better". Ignorance of the law is no excuse in law enforcement—this was drilled into our heads all of the time. If you screwed up, you were done. That's how it should be.

From the link in my above post:

Accountability tally: Henry apparently now works as a securities investigator for Regions Bank. From what I can tell, Brannon still works for the Monroe County Sheriff's Department. Reedy, Bivens, and Bebb are all still on the job.

aGameOfThrones
03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
During a hearing on the issue, Sheriff Bivens testified that he was vaguely aware of Henry's plot and did not see "a problem with it," adding, however that "if it's illegal, of course, I don't want to do it." Bivens did not order a probe of Henry's actions or take any disciplinary action; nor did Bebb initiate charges of impersonating a lawyer. It's not clear when Detective Henry left the agency to take the Regions job.

Justice!!!

heavenlyboy34
03-08-2011, 03:26 PM
And yet here we all sit on RPF's, commenting and doing nothing while we allow this shit to go on.

Most of these corrupt judges are elected-a process most RPFers advocate. It seems that many of you are actually helping perpetuate this shit. ;)

Freedom 4 all
03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Reading comments on news articles of this nature makes me hate people.

nonpolitical writes:
I'm not sure there is such a thing as entrapment. If I wasn't inclined to kill someone, then an officer posing as someone wanting to hire a hitman is not going to make me want to kill someone. Doing something illegal is something that everyone knows is wrong but they still choose to do it. I personally think law enforcement should be able to do whatever they can to get evidence. If you didnt do it then the evidence is not there.

viv writes:
in response to Watcher777:

Good Job to the Public Defender that filed the appeal and exposed this illegal activity in Monroe County.

illegal? I don't think so: the detective was only doing his job, exposing a no good person who needs to be in prison forever; his behaviour has hurt far more people than this innocent detective of whom everyone speaks well of; he is not dishonest; far too many of our law enforcement personnel are being scandlized (sp?) and the media runs with it; why not let them do their job and expose the scums who are pushing drugs; and other horrible things?

viv writes:
in response to 98harleyrider#385132:

Yup, it's a felony to wrongfully purport yourself to be any state licensed professional. Doctor, Lawyer, Professional Engineer, etc.

but should it not be illegal for a law enforment officer to do anything that is not harmful as long as it aids in solving a case? This person who was already in jail was already proven guilty of something else. I can't see why everyone has become so upset over this detective doing his job that no one else had the courage to do,.,,,,,

Anti Federalist
03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXQozTxQSiE&feature=related

Reading comments on news articles of this nature makes me hate people.

nonpolitical writes:
I'm not sure there is such a thing as entrapment. If I wasn't inclined to kill someone, then an officer posing as someone wanting to hire a hitman is not going to make me want to kill someone. Doing something illegal is something that everyone knows is wrong but they still choose to do it. I personally think law enforcement should be able to do whatever they can to get evidence. If you didnt do it then the evidence is not there.

viv writes:
in response to Watcher777:

Good Job to the Public Defender that filed the appeal and exposed this illegal activity in Monroe County.

illegal? I don't think so: the detective was only doing his job, exposing a no good person who needs to be in prison forever; his behaviour has hurt far more people than this innocent detective of whom everyone speaks well of; he is not dishonest; far too many of our law enforcement personnel are being scandlized (sp?) and the media runs with it; why not let them do their job and expose the scums who are pushing drugs; and other horrible things?

viv writes:
in response to 98harleyrider#385132:

Yup, it's a felony to wrongfully purport yourself to be any state licensed professional. Doctor, Lawyer, Professional Engineer, etc.

but should it not be illegal for a law enforment officer to do anything that is not harmful as long as it aids in solving a case? This person who was already in jail was already proven guilty of something else. I can't see why everyone has become so upset over this detective doing his job that no one else had the courage to do,.,,,,,

Anti Federalist
03-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Or, if you don't care for The Matrix...

The vast majority of Gestapo informers were not full-term informers working undercover, but were rather ordinary citizens who for whatever reason chose to denounce those they knew to the Gestapo.

The very people we are trying to bring to freedom will denounce us, crucify us and destroy us.

Thus is the human condition.

coastie
03-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Most of these corrupt judges are elected-a process most RPFers advocate. It seems that many of you are actually helping perpetuate this shit. ;)

"Many of you" = "not me".;)

Indy Vidual
03-08-2011, 04:11 PM
The vast majority of Gestapo informers were not full-term informers working undercover, but were rather ordinary citizens who for whatever reason chose to denounce those they knew to the Gestapo.

Yes, I've seen that somewhere before. Some German informants were people's relatives who simply wanted to take over a piece of property once their in-law (or innocent brother :collins:) was out of the way.

Freedom 4 all
03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Or, if you don't care for The Matrix...

The very people we are trying to bring to freedom will denounce us, crucify us and destroy us.

Reminds me of what Senator Graccus (the sole decent politician) said in the movie Gladiator,

"Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death - and they will love him for it."

I'm taking Roman History right now and the parallels from ancient Rome and modern society are astounding. The enthusiasm people show for their own destruction never ceases to amaze me.

Indy Vidual
03-08-2011, 04:19 PM
...I'm taking Roman History right now and the parallels from ancient Rome and modern society are astounding.

So modern America compares w/ ancient Rome (right before the fall) and Nazi Germany? I have a "good neighbor" who thinks it's unpatriotic and almost treasonous to talk that way.

Anti Federalist
03-08-2011, 04:19 PM
The most mind blowing aspect of this is that they actually got a conviction in this and that it had to be appealed.

WTF was the presiding judge in the trial?

WTF...really WTF?

Anti Federalist
03-08-2011, 04:22 PM
So modern America compares w/ ancient Rome (right before the fall) and Nazi Germany? I have a "good neighbor" who thinks it's unpatriotic and almost treasonous to talk that way.

Reported, komrade.

http://www.mta.info/news/stories/images/see_something_lg.png

Freedom 4 all
03-08-2011, 06:25 PM

I too have a snitch neighbor. It's not an exaggeration to say he's called the cops multiple times on literally everyone in the neighborhood for things like improper reflectors on bikes, playing in a garage band, using an unloaded airsoft gun as a halloween prop etc. People like that piss me off. However back on topic, to be fair I never actually said Nazi Germany but reading Roman history is downright scary with parallels you'd have to be blind not to see.

Live_Free_Or_Die
03-09-2011, 12:00 AM
I too have a snitch neighbor. It's not an exaggeration to say he's called the cops multiple times on literally everyone in the neighborhood for things like improper reflectors on bikes, playing in a garage band, using an unloaded airsoft gun as a halloween prop etc. People like that piss me off. However back on topic, to be fair I never actually said Nazi Germany but reading Roman history is downright scary with parallels you'd have to be blind not to see.

If you see that asshole neighbor staring your way, call 911 to report a peeping tom...