PDA

View Full Version : Vs Hagan in 2014?

Nathan Hale
03-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Does Glen have any plans to run against Kay Hagan in 2014?

MozoVote
03-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Hagan will probably draw a crowd of challengers and Glen would need big buck$ to get in front and develop name recognition in western NC. Probably an easier path for him to Congress, to run for the House of Reps. Congressmen tend to have strong local ties and Glen should be well known in Franklin county after a few terms.

jacque
03-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Hagan will probably draw a crowd of challengers and Glen would need big buck$ to get in front and develop name recognition in western NC. Probably an easier path for him to Congress, to run for the House of Reps. Congressmen tend to have strong local ties and Glen should be well known in Franklin county after a few terms.

Glen and I have talked about this already. He was thinking House of Representatives. We need a good plan and sound fundraising techniques.

Freedom Mom

aclove
03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Glen and I have talked about this already. He was thinking House of Representatives. We need a good plan and sound fundraising techniques.

Freedom Mom

Glen is in the 2nd, if I'm not mistaken. Would he be willing to primary Ellmers, assuming she's still there? Or would he run in the 13th?

jacque
03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Glen is in the 2nd, if I'm not mistaken. Would he be willing to primary Ellmers, assuming she's still there? Or would he run in the 13th?

I know, that was an issue. But remember, there will be redistricting and that may change here in 2011. I was thinking Hagan because then he would not have to run against Ellmers. We already know the support he got from the NCGOP for the last election. What would it be like if he rans against Ellmers? Down and dirty I am sure. There is no love lost between Glen and the NCGOP or NC Congress for that matter.

Nathan Hale
03-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Oh good, I wasn't sure about his congressional district, so I didn't suggest it. sounds good indeed, you'll have my donation.

Imperial
03-09-2011, 12:41 AM
2014 is way too soon to try for US Senate. Gunny ran an awesome campaign, but there are a few barriers that need to be broken through:

1) Name recognition. 1 state house district is great, but you need to have name req over a larger area. And although it was effective in your district do to the depth, any area larger than a state house seat I think will be difficult to fully canvass in the same style done in 2010.

2) Money. That is the big barrier- the GOP is going to have a pretty solid congressional bench in North Carolina by 2014 with control of the redistricting mechanism. There are other players with far more name recognition than Gunny who can get the movers' and shakers' attention (ahem money) in NC politics.

3) Connections. With bigger names in the field, the only way I see Gunny escaping the primary is if a couple of more 'establishment' candidates who can get the big money split each other's votes. In this scenario, he would surge a la Debra Medina in the Republican Texas gubernatorial primary in 2010.

However, North Carolina is a true swing state, if it has a bit of a lean to the right. A statewide campaign would be pretty difficult to win in a non-2010 style wave unless we have access to some networks in the state beyond the liberty movement and the basic party apparatus. That type of operation would take time to build.

So I think the soundest advice would be this:

-Focus on building your operation at home. You are in a definite lean Democrat district- learn the ins and outs of more targeted campaign and networking there in an already fairly tough environment.

-When the time comes and your campaign operation is strong enough, look at the State Senate or Congress depending on the path of least resistance. Somewhere where your local name recognition gives you a definitive edge and you know many of the local donors.

What is the State Senate seat like in the area? It seems that if you were able to replicate

Southron
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
If he leaves now, won't that leave NC void of any liberty representatives in the State House?

And if so, won't that set us back to square one?

MozoVote
03-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Glen will have a difficult enough time in 2012, to be already thinking about 2014. That's an Obama re-election year .... and he may have a primary challenge due to his "controversial" votes in the General Assembly.

Heck, we don't even know what his legislative district will look like in 2012.

jacque
03-09-2011, 08:06 PM
If he leaves now, won't that leave NC void of any liberty representatives in the State House?

And if so, won't that set us back to square one?

This is true. I think he needs to stay 3 terms as planned and then move on.