PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Heldman is scary stupid

Eric21ND
03-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Just caught her on Freedom Watch. She just said the stimulus wasn't big enough and should've been doubled. The truly scary part is that she's a college professor!! It kills me she has an audience for her stupidity. She is easy on the eyes though, so its not all bad :rollseyes:

AlexMerced
03-08-2011, 08:05 AM
She's an economics professor no less... she has a weird stare though... she's so damn keyenesian...

SWATH
03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
My cousin is taking some college course on government and economics. I asked what he had been learning. He said they were teaching him that Keynesianism is what ultimately saved the free world from the perils of free market capitalism and that the Great Depression occurred because the government didn't follow the Keynesian model and instead followed free market principles which turned a minor recession into a depression.

Sentient Void
03-08-2011, 01:00 PM
My cousin is taking some college course on government and economics. I asked what he had been learning. He said they were teaching him that Keynesianism is what ultimately saved the free world from the perils of free market capitalism and that the Great Depression occurred because the government didn't follow the Keynesian model and instead followed free market principles which turned a minor recession into a depression.

Disgusting. Truly disgusting.

Sentient Void
03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
And yes, Caroline Heldman, is quite easy on the eyes. Definitely has an awkward stare, though. She'd make for a good sociopath in a movie.

That she's a Keynesian makes me a sad, sad panda.

trey4sports
03-08-2011, 01:12 PM
To be fair, i don't really think Caroline is stupid. In fact from my limited experience watching her on freedom watch shes pretty sharp but she certainly has a differing opinion than us.

Sentient Void
03-08-2011, 01:16 PM
To be fair, i don't really think Caroline is stupid. In fact from my limited experience watching her on freedom watch shes pretty sharp but she certainly has a differing opinion than us.

Agreed. not stupid - definitely a smart cookie. Just misguided. I'm not impressed by her keynesianism.

Economics is not a matter of opinion. There's good economics, bad economics, and, uh... *really bad* economics.

Chieppa1
03-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I debate and argue with economics professors either of FB or Twitter daily. Dumb, just dumb. This morning for example. WARNING: I dumb ed down my responses because I have a personal hate for this person that has nothing to do with politics:

Him: there is one party of fiscal conservatives. you'd be surprised (or not) at which one it is. ill give you a hint, its not the one that cuts taxes on the wealthy. http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/07/turning-a-blind-eye-to-the-obvious/ also it should be noted @kevin - the running deficits are not a bad thing, economically, its just when they start to spiral into an exponential growth that is concerning.

Me: Krugman has been wrong about the last 10 years of bubbles, inflation and devalue of the dollar. I'd listen to the guys who've been predicting each crisis for the last 100 years.

Him: @marc - who would you recommend. also you should note that the dollar is currently stronger now then when obama took office, that the federal reserve issues debt, not print's money, which is a function of the treasury.

Me: The treasury hasn't printed money for years. Constitutional its their job. The federal reserve loans the government dollars with interest. Interest they try to payback with our income tax. The dollar is stronger next to other currencies. Which means nothing since we are the dying reserve currency. I recommend Austrian economics.

Him: @marc -well i hate to keep a flame war going, so you said the dollar was weaker, i pointed out of that its not, then you agreed with me. so which is it? also the federal reserve issues bonds, not to the government, but on behalf of the government. the government then pays interest to these bond holders, not to the federal reserve, so 0/2 ?

Me: The dollar is a Federal Reserve note. Backed by nothing but numbers in a computer. Its called Fiat currency. Our dollar has lost 93% of its purchasing power isn't 1913. Its not a flame war. Its to different schools of economic theory. Keyne...sian vs. Austrian. Krugman is a Keynesian. So he believes we can print and spend our way out of crisis. All anyone can do is research both schools of thought and decide for themselves. The federal reserve controls the money supply, interest rates and prices. None of which they can actually control. Hence why bubbles grow and grow and eventually burst. Austrians have predicted and warned of each crisis since the Great Depression.

Him: well just to be fair, you are making it seem as though Austrian theory is a widespread model held by many economists, when it is a fringe theory held only be a minutely small number of people, none of them in finance. it is similar to equat...ing creationism as a completing "theory" against evolution. you can make some arguments for both, but in reality, it has not structural basis in the world which we live. if you'd like, i can point out offline, all the shortcomings of Austrian theory and why its considered to be a fringe, or wing-nut position. i assume you are for the gold standard ?

Me: Call it a wing-nut position all you want. Fact is that central banking and fiat currency leads to the destruction of a currency. I never said it was mainstream. But I look around and the "mainstream" has been spending us into crisis after crisis. I could also send you article after article, video after video of Keynesian economics/central bankers saying everything is fine, while the crazy wing-nut Austrians are warning against a financial crisis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq1N70vym1g&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz_yw0kq3MM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYX1AgEV0vo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfascZSTU4o&feature=related

That's one guy. Now, ever said either school is perfect. I just refuse to jump on the mainstream bandwagon when they've been wrong over and over again. To each their own. Name calling is useless.

dannno
03-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Ok, one thing he missed that you didn't explain thoroughly when he missed the whole point of your initial explanation was when he came back with "But you just said the dollar is weaker, but it is stronger"

The you said, "Yes, stronger compared to other currencies, which are also weak"

Then he said "So you admit it's stronger!!"

You need to explain again that the dollar and all other currencies have lost their value compared to commodities, but the U.S. dollar has only risen as compared to other currencies. This explains the rise in prices, which is caused by the inflation of our currency which is caused by the Federal Reserve. This also explains bubbles, bubbles occur due to a weakening of our currency.

emazur
03-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Agreed - hot but economically dumb. The Judge should mostly dump the liberal guests and have 1 good liberty guy on there and play devil's advocate to satisfy the skeptics. Scott Horton and John Stossel are good at doing this.

dannno
03-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Also tell him you are not for a govt. mandated gold standard, you are for competing currencies/free market currencies.

Chieppa1
03-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Ok, one thing he missed that you didn't explain thoroughly when he missed the whole point of your initial explanation was when he came back with "But you just said the dollar is weaker, but it is stronger"

The you said, "Yes, stronger compared to other currencies, which are also weak"

Then he said "So you admit it's stronger!!"

You need to explain again that the dollar and all other currencies have lost their value compared to commodities, but the U.S. dollar has only risen as compared to other currencies. This explains the rise in prices, which is caused by the inflation of our currency which is caused by the Federal Reserve. This also explains bubbles, bubbles occur due to a weakening of our currency.

Word. I honestly was just trying to get a rise out of him. He was interjecting his bullshit into a convo he had no business in, so there is nothing more annoying to a 55 year old economics professor then some 24 year old punk kid making him look stupid and resort to name calling. Like I said, this was personal. Great points though.

wannaberocker
07-17-2011, 10:47 AM
She's an economics professor no less... she has a weird stare though... she's so damn keyenesian...

I just wanted to point out that Caroline Heldman is not an economics professor. As far as i know she is a political science professor. She really has no really educational background in economics, finance or business. I guess thats why im a bit more forgiving of her stupidity. But really the things she says are just crazy stupid and no one who has ever studied economics or finance would say such things, keynesian or not.

wannaberocker
07-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Word. I honestly was just trying to get a rise out of him. He was interjecting his bullshit into a convo he had no business in, so there is nothing more annoying to a 55 year old economics professor then some 24 year old punk kid making him look stupid and resort to name calling. Like I said, this was personal. Great points though.
I remember being in an undegrand economics class and the discsussion about the depression started. So i point out the study done by 2 UCLA economics professors that proved out that FDR's policies extended the depression by 8 years. My professor said "oh i have not read the study and blah blah". SO i went home and printed a summery of the study and braught it to class. After reading the study and not finding any flaws in it, he still couldnt bring himself to the point of admitting that govt intervention extended the depression. For some professor's its like a religion (there love for govt i mean). He just said "yeah its an intresting study but you know economist cant agree on much laugh laugh". But i guess at the end of the day he know where his pay check was coming from he was a govt economist for my state.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Are you sure she's an econ professor? All I see is that she teaches polsci and it looks like her bachelor is business administration (not econ) and her phd is polsci. I'd expect her to know less about economics than the average politician. (which I know is dismal)

edit...

I just wanted to point out that Caroline Heldman is not an economics professor.

nm.

thehighwaymanq
07-17-2011, 12:43 PM
But here's the thing, when you are in a class of 50 something college kids, and you stand up and try to add some rational thought into it, they will ALWAYS, 95% of them, side with the professor because they are an "authority".

ctiger2
07-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Him: @marc - who would you recommend. also you should note that the dollar is currently stronger now then when obama took office, that the federal reserve issues debt, not print's money, which is a function of the treasury.

It is? When Obama took office it took $850 dollars to convert into 1oz of Gold. Today it takes $1595 dollars to convert into 1oz of Gold. That's a 53% loss of purchasing power for the dollar since Obama took office. Try again...

wannaberocker
07-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Are you sure she's an econ professor? All I see is that she teaches polsci and it looks like her bachelor is business administration (not econ) and her phd is polsci. I'd expect her to know less about economics than the average politician. (which I know is dismal)

edit...

nm.
She exposes her lack of economic understand everytime she opens her mouth. She was on Bulls and Bears saturday morning and when she was challanged by the other guys on the Show. She just went into a rant about the evils of capitalism and how it rewards the rich and allows them to rig the system blah blah blah.

Fermli
07-17-2011, 05:18 PM
the prettiest ones are always the first to go.